Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Tile Layers - Commands & Functions

I know this doesn't get touched on as often as it should be, but it would be really nice to have a few more commands that can be used to manipulate tile layers.

Currently, the working commands I know of for gmaps are:

gmap.tilelayers[x].alpha = y;
gmap.tilelayers[x].red = y;
gmap.tilelayers[x].green = y;
gmap.tilelayers[x].blue = y;

And here are some other fun ones I would suggest that could be implemented later:

gmap.tilelayers[x].mode = y; (For additional color blending.)
gmap.tilelayers[x].zoom = y; (For the possibility of layer parallaxing in the future.)

But, we absolutely need the following:

gmap.tilelayers[x].dontblock();
gmap.tilelayers[x].drawoverplayer();
gmap.tilelayers[i].tiletype(tx,ty);

It would be nice to have these commands and others like them, because even though you can draw with multiple tile layers now, the tiles you lay down on the layer above will still block the player as if it were on the layer below.

The planks in these screenshots are on layer 1, while everything else is on layer 0. I made them kinda transparent so you can see the path below.

On the left is what we're currently stuck with, on the right is how it should work.

This is very impractical for those of us who want to make use of layers for masking things like paths or hidden rooms in maps, because any kind of blocking tile will mess things up. It has been a pain to deal with on literally every server since time immemorial, as things that are layered over players usually have to be made with half a dozen NPCs instead that serve no other purpose than to mask things on the tile layer below.

Improving tile layers could open a lot of new doors for developers, and I'm really surprised we don't have a way of doing this yet when we're so close to it working as it should.

If anyone else has suggestions for commands directly related to tilelayers, please feel free to suggest them.

Last edited by Draenin; 03-05-2013 at 04:09 PM..