Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Nemo
StrykerTFFD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndzey View Post
are you still a GP
Nah I haven't checked in with Graal in like...5-6 years. I decided to look at the forums a few days ago.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:09 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of

gaming centrists btfo
Old 04-07-2017, 12:03 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Whew, this thread is weird. I feel like throwing my hat in the ring as well, though, especially since I finally finished BotW yesterday, after about 105 hours of playing it. A few thoughts in no particular order:

BotW was great, but I agree with the 8/10, because it has too many flaws to be considered groundbreaking. The world was beautiful, and I love exploration, so it gave me a lot there. What it has in world variety, though, it doesn't have in, uh, "other" variety. I really wish there would be more types of monsters, for example, and shrine variety was also ****, and I'm not even talking about complexity of those. "Look, we have 120 shrines!" Uh-huh, and how many of those were "combat trials" or ones with only a chest in it because you apparently earned it by simply finding the thing? And, god dammit, something like 90% of the shrines were piss easy. I really hated that part in the end. The divine beasts were similarly unchallenging. Ugh. In the end, I still liked the game (105 hours, remember?). But it could've been a lot better. Oh yea, horse controls also suck hard.

Next thought! Wii U has the best games? Hell no. I bought mine for Splatoon only, pretty much, which was worth it considering the 800 hours I spent playing it. Sold the Wii U once I got my Switch. Wii U has some good games, but failed as a whole. On the topic of Splatoon: it's amazing, and I can't wait for the sequel. But it's different from other shooters, so I don't see a point in comparing it to any. I regularly play CS:GO, Overwatch and Battlefield 1 and love them all, and Splatoon 2 will join the ranks once it's out. Kamaeru, you're asking what's on the PS4? Huh, let's see. There's Bloodborne, The Last of Us, Horizon: Zero Dawn, inFAMOUS, Driveclub, Persona 5, Ratchet & Clank, ... can't think of any others right now.

Final thought: I like Nintendo. I like what they did with the Switch. BotW was pretty cool (was because replayability is literally zero). I think third party devs will like the Switch as well. Nintendo are not gods, though, and they sure as hell are not making the best games currently available.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:33 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Bloodborne, The Last of Us, Horizon: Zero Dawn, inFAMOUS, Driveclub, Persona 5, Ratchet & Clank
I have played these, so you won't be able to sneak past me like this is a good list of games. These games suck.

Quote:
The horse controls aren't good in BOTW
Wrong.

I agree with you on everything else, BOTW is easy as heck for me especially after completing Zelda 2 recently the hard way (no save states). Splatoon is just...wow. I cannot praise Splatoon enough, but I felt the same way about Pikmin 3 which is highly underrated.

Still, it's more of a mix between Zelda and Animal Crossing style gameplay, and as such it is extremely groundbreaking in the sense that there has literally never been a game of the sort. They tried something new and it worked. The meat and potatoes this game has to offer do not lie in conventional linear straightforward gameplay. I have spent a few hundred hours with the game and I have only completed 2 of the dungeons. It is a game for people who like to make their own open-ended fun, so people for instance who like to rely on others solely for entertainment might not like it as much as I did. For those type of people, I suggest the type of games that are half-movie half-game hybrids like Uncharted, or Metal Gear Solid which is a much better game than Uncharted that does this in a less annoying style.

Here's my list of criticisms of Zelda BOTW:

-Weapons don't break fast enough (always have a full inventory of them even after collecting most of the korok seeds)

-The main bosses are not imaginative (i love the OW minibosses on the other hand)

-No fishing rod (fishing is top tier in this game, in fact it's a strength, and you can even use bait. but why do i have to do it with a bow or spears?)

That's literally it. I tried to think of something else that bothers me, but honestly none of the other stuff does. I thought I would hate the fact that traditional dungeons aren't in the game but the truth is that I started loving it once I got further into the game. It's refreshing and makes it never feel like I am going down a laundry list of chores. At one point I found a crack in the ground near a far edge of the map, and I bombed it revealing an underground cave with a shrine inside that was easily as large and complex as a mid-tier dungeon from any Zelda game. It's stuff like this that Nintendo is the master of. They always come out of left field right when you think you have them figured out. There is never a linear moment in the game, and there has never been a game to even attempt that before. This unmasks Grand Theft Auto, Skyrim, Fallout and all the other "open world" games as completely linear games hiding behind open maps.

Last edited by Kamaeru; 04-07-2017 at 01:02 PM..
Old 04-07-2017, 02:29 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
I have played these, so you won't be able to sneak past me like this is a good list of games. These games suck.
Huh, so you do have a PS4. And apparently care enough about it to buy Persona 5 on release day, or a day after or whatever. Didn't like it? Too bad :| It's fine to dislike all of those I listed, but they certainly do not suck, otherwise people wouldn't love them as much as they do.

Quote:
Wrong.
Okay..?
Old 04-07-2017, 03:12 PM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Huh, so you do have a PS4. And apparently care enough about it to buy Persona 5 on release day, or a day after or whatever
Played it at a friend's house a bit, to be fair I actually like it. But to go from a thread where someone is calling Nintendo mediocre, it seems perfectly fair for me to also say that I wouldn't give the game a high rating or anything..

I was gonna comment to say that I liked Persona 5 a bit more than:

Ratchet & Clank (had fairly amazing graphics for the platform it's on but was just the archetype of boring, the older games were much better so maybe this series feels stale to me)

Last of Us: I'm far from the only person who thinks this game sucked terribly

Bloodborne: I just mentioned I enjoyed Zelda 2, so I do like this game a little for paying such homage to that game, but to rate it more than a 6 or 7 would just be pushing it.

Horizon: Zero Dawn: If you think this game is so great, you are delusional. Just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPXKdSEGNQ&t=21s

inFAMOUS: I think you are remembering this one with rose colored glasses because it's not that noteworthy. an ok game

Driveclub: Project Cars is better, and it's not very good

I honestly have given at least a few hours of an attempt to play all of these games, some more, and I'm not sure why this is a noteworthy list. These are some pretty generic titles, the only one with a tremendously underdeserved rating being The Last of Us though. I play a lot of games at other peoples' houses with my friends, and we try everything. When Sony or Microsoft make a console that has a game I really want to play on it, I usually buy it. I bought PS2 and PS3, but PS4 just doesn't have any must-play games that I couldn't already play on my PC that can run the same games in 4K with maxed out settings. I'm just not seeing what you're seeing in it.

Nintendo though has got me by the balls because their games consistently blow me away. Sure, a few weeks after release and 200 hours into BOTW and I feel like taking a break, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the game exceeded my expectations which were already unrealistically sky-high.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:36 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
I'll just go ahead and only comment on things I want to add to.

Quote:
Last of Us: I'm far from the only person who thinks this game sucked terribly
You're one of the few I've seen say that, so I'm really wondering why.. gameplay is snappy and feels very good, not as slapped on as in Uncharted either (bear with me, only played 4; wasn't _that_ good).

Quote:
Bloodborne: I just mentioned I enjoyed Zelda 2, so I do like this game a little for paying such homage to that game, but to rate it more than a 6 or 7 would just be pushing it.
But why? To me, Bloodborne is as close to perfection as it could ever be. Certainly a step up from Dark Souls. Also ultimately the reason I got my PS4.

Quote:
Horizon: Zero Dawn: If you think this game is so great, you are delusional. Just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVPXKdSEGNQ&t=21s
Honestly, I haven't played it yet. It is quite beautiful though, even though there is an obvious lack of detail compared to BotW and other games.

Quote:
inFAMOUS: I think you are remembering this one with rose colored glasses because it's not that noteworthy. an ok game
Nah, I only listed it because it came to mind. Never said amazing. I agree it was mostly just an okay game, still quite fun though.

Quote:
Driveclub: Project Cars is better, and it's not very good
This one is a bit difficult. From what I've seen, people mostly dislike the simulation part of Driveclub. I'm just a racing game pleb, though, and just like to thoroughly enjoy how incredibly beautiful Driveclub is. Plays nice, too.

Quote:
Nintendo though has got me by the balls because their games consistently blow me away. Sure, a few weeks after release and 200 hours into BOTW and I feel like taking a break, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the game exceeded my expectations which were already unrealistically sky-high.
I wish I could say that Ninty blew me away with anything recently. Don't get me wrong, I love my Switch and BotW, I really do. But for them to really blow me away.. they need another 2D Metroid game.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:38 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
kaemeru is interesting because hes one of the few people who has an alpha attitude when it comes to arguing but is just always wrong
Old 04-07-2017, 07:56 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
lol
Old 04-07-2017, 08:00 PM
sandin has a spectacular aura aboutsandin has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to sandin
Now i think that Kamaeru is just mocking us.
I would like to believe that everything he said was just a joke.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:54 AM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
kaemeru is interesting because hes one of the few people who has an alpha attitude when it comes to arguing but is just always wrong
show me da proof
Old 04-08-2017, 08:17 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
show me da proof
proof is in da pudding
Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 AM
LimetasticSlushy has a spectacular aura aboutLimetasticSlushy has a spectacular aura about
How in the world did this thread get derailed so much so fast .-.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:07 AM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimetasticSlushy View Post
How in the world did this thread get derailed so much so fast .-.
I said that we should put Graal on Plebstation, and apparently I didn't grovel enough to the god emperor master race console because that somehow triggered everyone into a BOTW damage control frenzy.

Last edited by Kamaeru; 04-09-2017 at 05:50 AM..
Old 04-09-2017, 06:02 AM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Except for that time in the level design forum when u took like 2 years to make a level. I rate that level 9.5/10 better than BOTW.