Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2016, 09:25 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I have never ever said to you "[my] goal in controlling Graal2001 is to make sure no one ever gets to play it because [I] hate the server."
You absolutely did say that to me. You told me you had no intention of ever releasing it. The chances I will find AIM logs from 2008 are null, but you absolutely said some hateful vitriolic things about Graal2001 and it's demonstrable that you have no clue how to do the work to fix it. You are the person who needs to stop lying and misrepresenting the Graal community here, unless you're experiencing amnesia.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
You absolutely did say that to me. You told me you had no intention of ever releasing it. The chances I will find AIM logs from 2008 are null, but you absolutely said some hateful vitriolic things about Graal2001 and it's demonstrable that you have no clue how to do the work to fix it.
30 October 2009

You (16:01:28): hi rufus
Me (16:01:47): hi
You (16:02:49): do you still hold a death grip on all that is good?
Me (16:02:56): I guess
You (16:03:01): damn
You (16:03:58): let go you foolish vagabond
You (16:04:04): damn you
Me (16:04:19): Nope, some idiot might get a hold of it and start flooding the levels with random tiles.
You (16:04:36): yeah dude
You (16:04:59): except that never happened before with all the idiots preceding your own idiocy
Me (16:05:12): What does that even mean?
You (16:05:31): i can think of people on graal who are trustable enough to ensure that all the levels won't be flooded with random tiles
Me (16:05:51): Whom?
You (16:05:55): everyone on graal but you like graal2001
You (16:05:58): *likes
Me (16:06:09): Right, I totally dislike the server.
You (16:06:12): you seem to be the only one with malicious intentions
Me (16:06:25): Yes, malicious intentions in developing it.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:34 AM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
30 October 2009
That's not even me. You apparently don't even know who I am. Even if it was, nice job demonstrating your aptitude at using the cherry-picking fallacy, but you haven't proven any point here. How about the full chat logs?
Old 04-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
That's not even me. You apparently don't even know who I am. Even if it was, nice job demonstrating your aptitude at using the cherry-picking fallacy, but you haven't proven any point here. How about the full chat logs?
If psilocybinpof isn't your AIM then nevermind, I apologize. That's the only log I have.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:40 AM
G2k1
Quote:
If psilocybinpof isn't your AIM then nevermind, I apologize. That's the only log I have.
Yeah that's not me, but it is hilarious. My main inquiry is to why the rights have been taken away from myself and Skyld? We are both Graal2001 developers from the old days and we were in the middle of working on the server when out of nowhere our rights were taken away in the middle of the night with no explanation. We are fully capable of doing the job so it is utterly baffling that our rights were taken away.

I've talked with Skyld about it and neither of us know what's going on. No one contacted either of us. Is it so much to ask for a simple explanation?

Last edited by Kamaeru; 04-26-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Old 04-26-2016, 10:08 AM
G2k1

Quote:
*crickets chirping*
Old 04-26-2016, 10:23 AM
Well since you've baited me this far, I will explain what I am aware of. Stefan had the intention of releasing Graal2001 on Classic iPhone as a map that people could play on. I don't think it went very far, even though the content was uploaded onto the server. However, things unique to Graal2001 such as the hats, draisine, railroads, instruments, and areas such as the chair lift and horse race were released on Classic iPhone and bomies were released on Zone iPhone.

Dusty and I started working on Classic iPhone, didn't like how Graal2001's content was being released on the server, and started to pursue something more along the lines of old Classic. Someone outside of the team suggested the idea that Graal2001 and its content should be released as its own iPhone server. Classic iPhone was getting a huge playercount and the talks about splitting the server were around. Stefan liked the idea of linking the two, but having Graal2001 as its own thing, and it was given its own iPhone server. Stefan wanted to convert things and release it straight away, but I wasn't convinced that this would work as he had released all of Graal2001's best content to other servers, and believed it needed something more. Needless to say, it was pursued for about a month before it fizzed out. A few months later Skyld showed interest in taking Graal2001 to iPhone and was told to contact me. I didn't think our visions would match, we didn't really talk about it and nothing came of that. A year or so later the iPhone server was given to a different project.

So no, I am not managing the server nor do I have control over it. The person you need to contact with regards to reviving it is most likely Unixmad. There may be plans to pursue Graal2001 for iPhone in the future, but if there is it is not something I am currently involved in.

Last edited by Rufus; 04-26-2016 at 10:38 AM..
Old 04-26-2016, 11:23 AM
G2k1
Sounds like a whole lot of derp has been going on. I'll do my best to get to the bottom of this iration. Luckily the worst case scenario has been avoided thus far (iPhone Graal2001, does anyone actually want this?). I personally am not a fan of Apple products so I'm gonna have to pass on that idea, we only want Graal2001 to be open and available to PC Graal players as far as my concern extends. The limitations of the iPhone platform would severely handicap the strengths of Graal2001's gameplay to the point where the game might actually be rendered unplayable.

Last edited by Kamaeru; 04-26-2016 at 11:40 AM..
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Sound like a whole lot of derp has been going on. I'll do my best to get to the bottom of this iration. Luckily the worst case scenario has been avoided thus far (iPhone Graal2001, does anyone actually want this?). I personally am not a fan of Apple products so I'm gonna have to pass on that idea, we only want Graal2001 to be open and available to PC Graal players as far as my concern extends. The limitations of the iPhone platform would severely handicap the strengths of Graal2001's gameplay to the point where the game might actually be rendered unplayable.
If you are looking for a revival of Graal2001 then iPhone is the only route really.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Sound like a whole lot of derp has been going on. I'll do my best to get to the bottom of this iration. Luckily the worst case scenario has been avoided thus far (iPhone Graal2001, does anyone actually want this?).
Other than the thousands of daily players contrast to the handful on PC? Nah... no one wants that.

Quote:
I personally am not a fan of Apple products so I'm gonna have to pass on that idea
If only it were also available on Android and Flash as well...

Quote:
we only want Graal2001 to be open and available to PC Graal players as far as my concern extends.
How selfish of you. You can't say you want the best for the server when you exclude the one way to actually get a thriving experience instead of a stagnating one, simply because of your own personal bias.

Quote:
The limitations of the iPhone platform would severely handicap the strengths of Graal2001's gameplay to the point where the game might actually be rendered unplayable.
What limitations would those be?
Old 04-26-2016, 11:35 AM
G2k1
Quote:
If you are looking for a revival of Graal2001 then iPhone is the only route really.
I will have to respectfully disagree, as I personally do not believe iPhone should remain the indefinite future of Graal if there is to be a future for Graal. Nobody actually wants to play Graal2001 other than Graal2001 players at the moment. Exactly 0% of those Graal2001 players are dying to play it on iPhone. The server could easily be restored to a point where it would be playable for those players who wish to have access, and it would be a great justice to the community of Graal to do something like that instead of a big derpy iPhone revival, which is a terrible idea.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:51 AM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Other than the thousands of daily players contrast to the handful on PC? Nah... no one wants that.
Yeah they actually don't. I would argue that nearly 100% of actual real world Graal2001 players are not interested in playing it on anything other than PC.

Quote:
If only it were also available on Android and Flash as well...
Okay, well everyone already is aware that those are not very adept platforms either. I shouldn't even be explaining this in the year 2016.

Quote:
How selfish of you. You can't say you want the best for the server when you exclude the one way to actually get a thriving experience instead of a stagnating one, simply because of your own personal bias.
Cool straw man analogy! Here's the part where I shatter your subjective moral high ground. iPhone does not provide any advantage over other leading video game platforms as far as user availability. There are millions of PC gamers who could get access to Graal and become interested via advertising, and it really helps to gain players when a PC game receives actual support. Maybe you should think about the reasons why PC Graal lost so many players, because there are more reasons than personal bias why it's a more viable platform than iPhone or Facebook. Here's an example: why not release Graal on Steam? That's a rhetorical question, because derp!

Quote:
What limitations would those be?
There are no buttons, and the game apparently isn't optimized enough to draw all of the NPCs on the screen at one time that might appear. Those were two of the glaring inconveniences I experienced in my 2 minute playthrough of Facebook/iPod Classic (which is an atrocity by the way, nice job screwing up royally).
Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Yeah they actually don't. I would argue that nearly 100% of actual real world Graal2001 players are not interested in playing it on anything other than PC.
So like... a handful of people? Woo... that justifies the work of all the effort that it would take to revive the server and make it playable!
Quote:
Okay, well everyone already is aware that those are not very adept platforms either. I shouldn't even be explaining this in the year 2016.
Ya, shouldn't have to explain your point. How convenient..
Quote:
Cool straw man analogy! Here's the part where I shatter your subjective moral high ground. iPhone does not provide any advantage over other leading video game platforms as far as user availability. There are millions of PC gamers who could get access to Graal and become interested via advertising, and it really helps to gain players when a PC game receives actual support. Maybe you should think about the reasons why PC Graal lost so many players, because there are more reasons than personal bias why it's a more viable platform than iPhone or Facebook. Here's an example: why not release Graal on Steam? That's a rhetorical question, because derp!
I don't care about any of that. The point is Graal is what it is, has what it has, and releasing a server only to PC is practically subjecting it to a quick death. No point being hypothetical about what Graal could be on different platforms when it's not. You just want 2k1 back to be what would amount to a personal playground for a few people before they get bored and leave.

Quote:
There are no buttons, and the game apparently isn't optimized enough to draw all of the NPCs of the screen at one time that might appear. Those were two of the glaring inconveniences I experienced in my 2 minute playthrough of Facebook Classic (which is an atrocity by the way, nice job screwing up royally).
Who screwed up Facebook Classic? We don't control the clients and their limitations, we just do our best to work around them. There is no limit to drawing NPCs on the screen, and most limitations of Flash are visual and not really effecting gameplay. But keep on insulting our work since you obviously contribute so much more.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:08 PM
G2k1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
you obviously contribute so much more.
Before you guys took my rights away I was actually doing that, yes. I get the feeling you iPhone goons ruined all the work we were doing as well as probably left the server basically a train wreck from the looks of the story I just got out of Rufus.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 PM
Quote:
I will have to respectfully disagree, as I personally do not believe iPhone should remain the indefinite future of Graal if there is to be a future for Graal. Nobody actually wants to play Graal2001 other than Graal2001 players at the moment. Exactly 0% of those Graal2001 players are dying to play it on iPhone. The server could easily be restored to a point where it would be playable for those players who wish to have access, and it would be a great justice to the community of Graal to do something like that instead of a big derpy iPhone revival, which is a terrible idea.
I can't imagine the server maintaining a steady playercount solely based on old Graal2001 players. I guess it depends on what the plan is for PC Graal in general, but a server with no players would have been removed from the serverlist in the past. Though now that iPhone is center of attention for the administration those kind of standards may not hold true anymore.

I still think that in order to revive the server you're going to need to introduce a new playerbase and iPhone, Android, Facebook, whatever is the only viable route towards that. It just makes the server more accessible as opposed to the stagnating PC client which hasn't seen any movement in years. Unless you really are just looking for a 'museum' to log on for nostalgia purposes or something, but like Dusty said, that seems like a waste of real effort.

Quote:
Before you guys took my rights away I was actually doing that, yes. I get the feeling you iPhone goons ruined all the work we were doing as well as probably left the server basically a train wreck from the looks of the story I just got out of Rufus.
The 'iPhone project' was housed on a separate server.