Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 03:51 AM
My empire of dirt
Twinny is just really niceTwinny is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Twinny
I can't see this taken up for the most part.

I can't talk for other development branches but I doubt alot of scripters will come out of their roles of UC server gods to join a team which offers plenty of work sans Global RC reward.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:03 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinny View Post
I can't see this taken up for the most part.

I can't talk for other development branches but I doubt alot of scripters will come out of their roles of UC server gods to join a team which offers plenty of work sans Global RC reward.
Maybe not necessarily scripters but maybe graphic artists, lats, sound artists, etc... And it doesn't necessarily have to be the best scripters.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 AM
Cake'd
Nataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of lightNataxo is a glorious beacon of light
The idea seems nice. Although maybe it's just me not being a real developer, but I doubt Devs would want to help people just like that. Maybe if they like it like I enjoy writing news but I don't know.... perhaps some sort of credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Especially when not given Global RC.
A lot of people say Global RC is ah-mazing, why????
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataxo View Post
A lot of people say Global RC is ah-mazing, why????
Bragging rights. It only works if you're a well-known developer.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:40 AM
My empire of dirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
Bragging rights. It only works if you're a well-known developer.
And if you have the ego to go with it. It's unfortunate but alot of staff members have the main goal of gaining more, 'power' while furthering their own needs. The best way to entice younger scripters (and maybe other development branches) is with the promise of power.

Older scripters generally become apathetic to the situation and slowly branch of to other sources of coding.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:44 AM
The Blackswan
pooper200000 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to pooper200000
Would this be a better project if you didn't have the word global in it?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 AM
My empire of dirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooper200000 View Post
Would this be a better project if you didn't have the word global in it?
Doubtful. It would still be the same thing: Doing lots of work, improving Graal with no immediate reward. It sounds like a noble concept but most staff will be disappointed at their lack of rewards.

Global RC really is the best encouragement tool there would be as it comes with a sense of power and standing.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:25 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
And if you have the ego to go with it. It's unfortunate but alot of staff members have the main goal of gaining more, 'power' while furthering their own needs. The best way to entice younger scripters (and maybe other development branches) is with the promise of power.
Clearly.

What else do you expect them to enjoy freelancing with no pay for an under populated game? The only thing Bell has said that might seem beneficial, but very doubtful, is the addition of having a tag. Yay.....

That's also my answer to Nataxo's global RC question.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 08-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Why not do something like Stack Overflow (google it) where everyone is rewarded on a case-by-case basis and more help gives you a higher spot on a list.

That way it encourages all developers to contribute, and encourages people to continue contributing. This is in contrast with something like the GDT where there are only a few members, the members can go inactive, and the members do not have any incentive to contribute after they gain the tag.

However, a solution like that has other problems like Participation Inequality (read the article by Jakob Nielsen) and the quality of the help provided.

Regardless, if you are just creating a team that goes around and helps people and doesn't get any reward from it, I believe a "competition"-style system like that would work better.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
Why not do something like Stack Overflow (google it) where everyone is rewarded on a case-by-case basis and more help gives you a higher spot on a list.

That way it encourages all developers to contribute, and encourages people to continue contributing. This is in contrast with something like the GDT where there are only a few members, the members can go inactive, and the members do not have any incentive to contribute after they gain the tag.

However, a solution like that has other problems like Participation Inequality (read the article by Jakob Nielsen) and the quality of the help provided.

Regardless, if you are just creating a team that goes around and helps people and doesn't get any reward from it, I believe a "competition"-style system like that would work better.
If you're talking about that one website with merits, badges, etc....it could work, but what reward would a merit give you for doing hours of work for other servers? Bragging rights on an unpopulated game? Not really worth it. In game Gralats? Doubtful

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 08-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
I had already posted about it once but I do think it would be helpful if there were several systems created and documented for use by every server.

I think it's obvious why I wouldn't want to create a large scale project offering everything from movement to HD myself but I wouldn't be adverse to making GUI related scripts that could be easily implemented by most servers.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 AM
*Shadow (Convoy)
Crono1508 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
After Stefan's post I don't believe they really want to try to make Graal great anymore.
What post?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Fantastic idea!! I really do hope this gets launched and is successful enough to keep going and not die out after so many months. If you need any tutorials creating in regards to GMAP's send me a forum PM and I'll do my best to help!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Well if this gets done, I'm ready to help with the best I can.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:

Older scripters generally become apathetic to the situation and slowly branch of to other sources of coding.
Quote:
Doubtful. It would still be the same thing: Doing lots of work, improving Graal with no immediate reward. It sounds like a noble concept but most staff will be disappointed at their lack of rewards.

Global RC really is the best encouragement tool there would be as it comes with a sense of power and standing.
All your points are absolutely correct.

Inspiration is what is necessary to fuel my scripting, not money or promise of power. Stefan has not done alot to inspire me to put time and effort into Graal. I have made a great deal of simple feature requests that have fallen on deaf ears and I'm just tired of it.

If Stefan could do more to show me that Graal actually might have a future I will be interested in joining this Global Development Team with or without a global RC, simply because I enjoy coding.

Tags
global, global development team