Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Unholy Nation Main Forum > Unholy Nation News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 AM
UN Manager
SwimChao is just really niceSwimChao is just really nice
Exclamation Progress Report (8/24/09)

Hi guys,
I'm posting this because it was brought up in a previous topic. I originally intended to keep players in on the loop of most of the major development projects, but where's the fun for me if I don't get to give any sort of surprise releases. I mean, that's what gives me the "jolly" of my position.

As a brief update as to what is going on with the server. Currently, a majority of development staff are focusing on finishing the "corners" (so to say) of the upcoming Pet System. The pet system will be centric on player involvement with their pet, in regards to "PvP", "PvE", Turn based battling systems, pet-based-quests, and more. The system will be as condensed as possible, giving the participating players a fun, but uncomplicated way of spending their time. There have been several public Beta tests, and some tests open to invite only, and staff only. We plan on one week full staff-only/invite-only testing prior to releasing the system as a whole.

My hopes are that the entire system can be wrapped up, and ready to be used by September 10th at the latest.

Some things the pet system will incorporate:

•- Special GMAP dedicated to the system. It's big, and will hopefully be something the players won't grow tired of easily. We plan on releasing smaller levels where some things will take place, and improving upon the GMAP (and the content of the system) as we go along.

•- Player versus Player battling, including a standard leader board; and obviously a "PvP" pet battling system.

•- Player versus Enemy systems, including NPC tamers which will be used for things such as quests. Tamers will be worked with so that once a player beats all the NPC tamers on the GMAP, they won't end up sitting around for eternity. The "PvE" includes wild monsters, which the player is expected to use for the bulk of their 'training'.

•- Items of all sorts. There will be different items used on your pet. At any given time, a player's pet can hold one item. These items will be used to boost a specific stat.

These things being said, it brings me on to describe the "stat" system. Obviously the possibilities here are limitless. We had to formulate a system that won't be too complex, because this is only a sidecar on the server.

Stats will be broken down into three things:
• Stamina: Defines health
-X amount of health is added per stamina pont.

• Strength: Defines hitting power
-An equation is formulated to work out the hitting power
of the attacking pet.

• Defense: Defines resisting power
-An equation is worked out to process defense vs
strength ratios. Defense defines the resistance to
attacks.

Leveling and Special attacks:
• Leveling:
Leveling is done on the basic experience table. It takes X amount of experience to make it to level Y. This is the same for many RPG concepts, and I'm positive you'll have no problem understanding this.

• Special Attacks:
Special attacks are worked out per type of your pet. There will be a maximum level/stat cap, which means that at one point your pet will reach the finesse of your liking. This will be explained further into the post.

Usage of special attacks in battle will be based off of the level of your pet.
1-9 = 0x per battle.
10-19 = 1x per battle.
20-29 = 2x per battle.
30-39 = 3x per battle... and so on.

• "Reincarnation":
I will only brush on this subject very briefly for the time being. Once your pet has reached the maximum level you can take him to, and you're ready to "restart" the process, you will be able to work in reincarnating your pet. When you do this, the pet will retain the special attack of the previous form along with the addition of the special attack of it's next form. A pet can have up to 3 special attacks at any given time, once you reach that, you will have to start overwriting.

Simultaneously as this is being done, we're working on the upcoming Halloween releases. These are planned to be addressed privately on the UN Radio before we make any official announcements.

After these releases, I will be working on focusing more on the player suggestions, and finishing the content I planned to release in Seaport. This includes a quest with many extraneous conclusions, it will all depend on how you want to handle things. The quest will incorporate many different appealing "mini-games". Said mini-games can be continuously done, and a leader board will be held for them as well. The leaders of these mini-games will get special tags.

Any questions on the content I just presented will be answered appropriately.
(This was just a general sum up of what is going on.)

~Streety
Old 08-25-2009, 03:56 AM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
I love the planned updates, it's been a while since the last update.

Looking forward to what you have to show!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:57 AM
Rogue LAT
warriors94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to warriors94 Send a message via MSN to warriors94
I helped on the GMap
^___________________________________________^
Its gonna be SICK
Old 08-25-2009, 04:25 AM
a/s/l
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
ic
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Coldest Ice
The_Ice_Cold is on a distinguished road
Cool
Old 08-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Coldest Ice
The_Ice_Cold is on a distinguished road
I didn't even know I was a registered user this is pretty neat
Old 08-25-2009, 04:45 AM
Baszle is on a distinguished road
cool! awesome@!! o yeaa!!!!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:20 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Awesome.

FIX FOOLS RING PLX

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 08-25-2009, 09:04 AM
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baszle View Post
cool! awesome@!! o yeaa!!!!
this
Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
One day, just one day, I hope for beautiful quests and some nice new sparring/pking/guild war incentives, with the addition of nice new non-messy levels somewhere, but good updates on the pet system though. I'm not really the kind of guy to go to UN to play a pet rpg, but I'm sure some will love it.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 08-25-2009, 05:44 PM
a/s/l
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
One day, just one day, I hope for beautiful quests and some nice new sparring/pking/guild war incentives, with the addition of nice new non-messy levels somewhere, but good updates on the pet system though. I'm not really the kind of guy to go to UN to play a pet rpg, but I'm sure some will love it.
amen
Old 08-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Good, I'm sure everyone will love the updates.
Will probably bring me back to UN for some weeks =)
Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
I don't really know why you're obsessed with quests so much. You wanted Classic to come out with quests as well, and that didn't turn out so good, so now you're trying to get UN to do it.

I myself never liked quests and find them pretty much pointless. Staff spend all this time making this quest (levels, graphics, etc.), however, how long does a quest actually bring me enjoyment? I can care less about the story line the only reason I do quests is for the prize at the end. Therefore, I do a quest for like 1 hour max and get the NPC or whatever it is then never go to the quest again. Staff can actually spend their time on something useful than just a stupid quest.

PS: Quests were pretty much never a big thing with UN, only had minimal impact.

PPS: I agree with you about sparring/guild incentives possibly. Those are some actual activities that have a big impact on the server.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
I don't really know why you're obsessed with quests so much. You wanted Classic to come out with quests as well, and that didn't turn out so good, so now you're trying to get UN to do it.

I myself never liked quests and find them pretty much pointless. Staff spend all this time making this quest (levels, graphics, etc.), however, how long does a quest actually bring me enjoyment? I can care less about the story line the only reason I do quests is for the prize at the end. Therefore, I do a quest for like 1 hour max and get the NPC or whatever it is then never go to the quest again. Staff can actually spend their time on something useful than just a stupid quest.

PS: Quests were pretty much never a big thing with UN, only had minimal impact.

PPS: I agree with you about sparring/guild incentives possibly. Those are some actual activities that have a big impact on the server.
I am not obsessed with quests. They are pretty enjoyable for a classic themed server, and while theyre making random things, they could at least make quests which has always seemed appropriate for a classic themed server. From reading your post, you're actually going to say a pet system is more relevant to a classic server than quests? You may be right because UN has always thrived on the most random ****, and that really isn't a good thing if UN wants to attract non 8 year olds for long.

Quests are however not stupid when made with a little bit of effort to have some half decent puzzles. UN hasn't really attempted that, and while UN remains a classic server, they should at least make things relative to a classic server. Quests are also very enjoyable for the people who like to engage in some non-competitive, self-paced enjoyment. Maybe that isn't the case for era as Era is a server whose playerbase only cares about getting the best gun to kill somebody. That there is a whole other story.

The only reason quests had minimal impact was because most recent ones are of poor quality and UN before had a 200+ playercount with lots of active sparrers/pkers/guilds to suffice the enjoyment. Honestly, the quests that were made recently are just walk through doors, and fight some buggy boss with your sword. Although, I did find the dojo quests interesting (though hard), when they were released 3 or so years ago.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 08-26-2009, 01:30 AM
|Mêrçy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
I am not obsessed with quests. They are pretty enjoyable for a classic themed server, and while theyre making random things, they could at least make quests which has always seemed appropriate for a classic themed server. From reading your post, you're actually going to say a pet system is more relevant to a classic server than quests? You may be right because UN has always thrived on the most random ****, and that really isn't a good thing if UN wants to attract non 8 year olds for long.

Quests are however not stupid when made with a little bit of effort to have some half decent puzzles. UN hasn't really attempted that, and while UN remains a classic server, they should at least make things relative to a classic server. Quests are also very enjoyable for the people who like to engage in some non-competitive, self-paced enjoyment. Maybe that isn't the case for era as Era is a server whose playerbase only cares about getting the best gun to kill somebody. That there is a whole other story.

The only reason quests had minimal impact was because most recent ones are of poor quality and UN before had a 200+ playercount with lots of active sparrers/pkers/guilds to suffice the enjoyment. Honestly, the quests that were made recently are just walk through doors, and fight some buggy boss with your sword. Although, I did find the dojo quests interesting (though hard), when they were released 3 or so years ago.
You do understand that even though I play Era currently, that doesn't mean I never played any other server before. I have more hours on UN and played UN for a MUCH longer time.

What i'm trying to say though is quests are for the most part boring, no matter how you set it up. You do it once get the item, never do it again. There's no reason to doing quests other to achieve the prize at the end.

Staff and development work is better suited else where. Do you honestly believe that people will keep on going back to do quests when they have no reason to do so. I don't care if it's a puzzle or not once I do it I most likely will be able to solve it again even faster.

Also, i'm not trying to say a pet system has any relevance to a classic server, however, did Manta's RPG system have any relevance to a classic type server? No, they are the direct opposites. However, the pet system will most likely interest a group of some people and it's actually something you can do multiple times and not get bored of. Quests you do once then never do again.