Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Classic Server should..?
be left as it is. 4 6.15%
bring back it's original levels and hit detection. 51 78.46%
bring back ONLY the original levels but leave the hit detection as is. 1 1.54%
bring back ONLY the original hit detection but leave the levels as is. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by contego View Post
All true but please read the following quote.

Couldn't have said it better myself! (Thank you Rufus for posting a relevent quote by Dusty.)

Classic should break down the work in what is to be done. For example spars, events, Angel Clan, etc. The work starts from the top.
  • Administration.
Needs to break up the work and focus on a peice by peice at a time, with the big picture in mind.
  • Things to do list.
The current staff and new hires should be made aware that there is a 'things to do list'. For example:
  1. New HD in all Spar Rooms----------------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  2. New HD in Angel Clan--------------------------------contego 05/13/09
  3. Update all Spar Room scripts (AFTER new HD.)--------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  4. New event project (In new HD.)----------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  5. Update the ________ quest to work with default HD.--Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  6. New economy item.----------------------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  7. New gani's (shift h.)----------------------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  8. New emots (ctrl n.)----------------------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.

People should indicate if they are working on the project and post results daily, if possible, as to the last date they worked on it. Keep the 'things to do list' minimal but always keep it up and current.
  • Deligation (key.)
Help is definitely appreicated by your staff but it's more important to make sure people have something to do. Dev Admin should be developing work for people rather than developing the game itself (i.e. CTF Sumo).
  • Assurance.
Many will need to know that what they are working on is important.
  • Team Building.
Keep posting and looking for more help. Have someone go out and pound the pavement looking for talent.

A large enough team can be put together to make a difference and get Classic in the right direction.

Otherwise this will only lead Classic into a tail chasing syndrome.

*All of the above are things I've experienced hands on and learned from my degree in Management Studies.
i have nothing against you or this post, its just saying that putting default hd back would request alot of work and talented dev to do that, but i like the part u say we need to convert quest at default(the baddy atk range is a joke)
but should leave clientside in some spar rooms.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:14 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
i'd just like to say that i'm done playing classic.. the HD is just ridiculous, i bid you good day classic
Old 05-14-2009, 06:55 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
Fun fact: GTA as of 2004 contained over five THOUSAND levels, remember, it is over 6 years of content.
6000*

Quote:
<statements that make a ridiculous assumption that the majority of the levels have complex scripts in them that take hours to redo>
I think I've said this before... it's unlikely that the MAJORITY of them have that kind of complexity. I'd be willing to bet that it's not even half. All of them aren't even necessary at first. It really would NOT take that long to get something reasonable done if the proper tools (scripts for baddies and other various frequently-used things) existed. Too bad all of those tools don't even exist on the CURRENT server yet. I wonder where the problem is.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Problem #1 IMO:

Getting enough people together and getting them organized into an efficient work force, and then keeping them motivated for the however many months it would take.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ramirez- View Post
I think I've said this before... it's unlikely that the MAJORITY of them have that kind of complexity. I'd be willing to bet that it's not even half. All of them aren't even necessary at first. It really would NOT take that long to get something reasonable done if the proper tools (scripts for baddies and other various frequently-used things) existed. Too bad all of those tools don't even exist on the CURRENT server yet. I wonder where the problem is.
Also not counting the reused scripts that you could mass find and replace.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Yeah, there would be a whole lot of "if(playerenters){ play stef1.mid; }". The biggest problem last time I took a wrench to it was, of all things, SIGNS. Still don't know why Stefan decided they all had to be serverside-only...

Somewhere I've probably still got that java app that'll do all the mass-replacing for you...just a question of putting the right tweaks on it...

And from recent experience, a big stumbling block is that Baddies are a pain in the butt...if I could get some official backing on making a public generic template Baddies script we could probably hammer out a damn good one and make Graal a better place server regardless, but meh.
Problems with baddies:
they're either mostly serverside or mostly clientside.
Clientside Baddies, you can get a real smooth movement with 0.05 timeouts and everything - but to everyone else, you're swinging at nothing, while on Their screen They're getting nommed by the baddie...there's no way to get everyone chipping away at the same baddie, teamwork is impossible.
Serverside Baddies, you can all chip away at the same health bar and you all see it in the same place, but you're counting on the server to calculate movement and all that...it's kind of a pain in the butt.

The zombies I was working on for Insomnia had a fun little hybrid; the Server handled the health, targetting and movement, but the clients handled animating the movement. I never ironed it all out, but the theory goes: Serverside the baddy patrols from here to here in this much time, so let's just jump this invisible NPC to the end and wait until that time. Clientside, the baddy reads in where it's supposed to be, and where it was last displayed, and when it's supposed to get there, and calculates its next position, then shows itself at that location (with some clevar showani code-fu). Then based on its virtual clientside location, it determines if that means it just got hit by the player, or if the player just got hit by it, and does the usual song and dance. Upshot: the server runs one pretty simple script every few seconds to maybe every half a second (when actively chasing a player), but every client sees perfectly smooth baddy movement and can interact with it pretty much laglessly.

Downside is, you can't use default arrows I don't think. Unless there's a way for a clientside script to read the arrows[i].x etc....

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233

Last edited by Tyhm; 05-14-2009 at 03:50 PM..
Old 05-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Ninja of Classic
fa12 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
i'd just like to say that i'm done playing classic.. the HD is just ridiculous, i bid you good day classic
NOOO, I'm going to miss saying Ares god of war.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 PM
£ôrd Çòñtëgó Me§§iaH
contego will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to contego Send a message via AIM to contego Send a message via MSN to contego
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
Problem #1 IMO:

Getting enough people together and getting them organized into an efficient work force, and then keeping them motivated for the however many months it would take.
Problems or Challenges, all the same but I prefer to call them challenges.

Challenege #1 is really getting the current staff on board that there is an issue that we need to work out, without having anymore excuses on why they shouldn't do it.

Challenege #2 is basically ongoing development, in general. If you've got the organization then the rest can be put together.

Getting people together isn't an issue if you're creative. Finds way to attract talent.

Why would someone want to work for Classic?
What does Classic offer it's current staff as an incentive?

I know it can be done, but I don't know if it's going to be.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:36 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Challenge #3 is finding these hypothetical prizes that will make Classic matter again. Getting Unixmad to say it's going to be the Official Free Newbie Server again and it can have its own website at adventure.graal.com/ would be something...

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 05-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Quote:
Originally Posted by contego View Post
Problems or Challenges, all the same but I prefer to call them challenges.

Challenege #1 is really getting the current staff on board that there is an issue that we need to work out, without having anymore excuses on why they shouldn't do it.

Challenege #2 is basically ongoing development, in general. If you've got the organization then the rest can be put together.

Getting people together isn't an issue if you're creative. Finds way to attract talent.

Why would someone want to work for Classic?
What does Classic offer it's current staff as an incentive?

I know it can be done, but I don't know if it's going to be.
There have been posts previously posted about why devers wouldn't want to come to classic for various reasons. There have also been previous posts on how our team isn't large enough to fully commit to this project.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:14 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
There also have been several posts reiterating the same thing for pages and pages!

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-15-2009, 05:48 PM
known
unknown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to unknown
I think Classic should be placed automatically to the top of the playerworlds in the serverlist. It will draw more attention, and since its where graal started, it deserves the position. Although I don't think it deserves this unless they try to workout some of classics current flaws.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I think Classic should be placed automatically to the top of the playerworlds in the serverlist. It will draw more attention, and since its where graal started, it deserves the position. Although I don't think it deserves this unless they try to workout some of classics current flaws.
I've said this somewhere before, but I think that they should get rid of "Gold" servers as the subscription price is an all-in-one package, and replace it with "Official" servers. Classic, Zone, Graal Kingdoms, and Graal2001 if it returns could all be placed under that heading. Those servers would then get the additional "official" status that people claim it needs.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:14 PM
£ôrd Çòñtëgó Me§§iaH
contego will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to contego Send a message via AIM to contego Send a message via MSN to contego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
Challenge #3 is finding these hypothetical prizes that will make Classic matter again. Getting Unixmad to say it's going to be the Official Free Newbie Server again and it can have its own website at adventure.graal.com/ would be something...
Hm.. tbh I think I'd rather see a merger somehow of taking the best of each server and merging them into one. Then duplicating the server itself when over popultion becomes an issue. Just like an other successful online game.

We'd hire GPs, ET's (GC's), FAQ, and other Admins for each server.
And make sure they are customer service oriented.

Make the Developers; Level, Scripting, GFX, Coding, and Gani's all globals so therefore whatever is done with one server is being done to all of them. These folks should have a global recognition for the hard work they do.

Content would be the same for each server and therefore there will be more focus on each server/Graal development. And the community would grow.

This would be a very large project and it'd be important to take a couple key people from each exsiting server and form a 'focus group' to discuss ideas on how to merge everything onto one server. Both unixmad and Stefan should be present for the meetings.

This would take Graal to a whole new direction. However even if we had all hands on deck for this major project, it would probably still not be completed until after summer of 2010.

Sorry this thread isn't really relevent to the topic at hand because it's focusing more on Graal overall rather than Classic.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:08 PM
GREATEST
Ares is on a distinguished road
guys if i ever win the lottery i'll buy graal and make it free to play, i'll save graal..