Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Classic Server should..?
be left as it is. 4 6.15%
bring back it's original levels and hit detection. 51 78.46%
bring back ONLY the original levels but leave the hit detection as is. 1 1.54%
bring back ONLY the original hit detection but leave the levels as is. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
It isnt as easy as simply removing the custom systems and whatnot.
A lot of classic, both the big parts down to the smallest of detail would have to be rebuilt to support default HD and movement.
Most of the GC events and tools involving any HD or movement would have to be restructured to work around default, and as we saw with the introduction of clientside HD. Even after being set up for default HD, it would alter the way most events are played, especially CTF, as we have already scene with introduction of clientside HD, which more closely resembled default HD than serverside did.
It wasn't exactly a transistion for the better, since CTF relies on players able to kill each other relatively easily. To both hold up any sort of flag defense and more importantly, being able to kill a flagcarrier who is trying to not be killed. This caused so much of an uproar in CTF that the HD was made toggleable in GC events, and mostly left to serverside.

But I digress, the main point is, it isn't a simple flick of a switch, any conversion to default systems would require exceptional amounts of scripting manpower. Not exactly what Classic has a lot of. If the little amount scripting power that we do have were diverted to reconstructing classic to handle default systems, I could see the project going into years, as in plural. All the while, development on Classic would completely stagnante, as you can't really go on and make anything worthwhile, as your scripting team is busy converting, remember?

As for the old levels before NPC server? That would take even more time than converting the current classic to default.
Fun fact: GTA as of 2004 contained over five THOUSAND levels, remember, it is over 6 years of content.
A vast majority of these levels are in gs1 of varying quality and age, and are not converted to work with the npc server.
This means all 5000+ levels would have to be converted to at LEAST clientside/serverside functionality, as well as removing and updating depreciated scripting commands.
A very thankless task to do by the way, you can barely find people that want to convert levels now for using on Classic, much less Classic as it existed in 2004 in its entirety. It isn't a fun job to convert levels, and in the end, you are left with an end product that contains none of your original work, none of your own creativity.
Needless to say, while many people say they're going to do it, help out and convert some levels, they never do stick around to do it. It is simply not fun at all to do, if you say converting levels to work with the npc server is fun, I would call you a liar. Honestly, find me a team that is capable enough, and large enough, to convert 5000 levels in a respectable time period, people that will actually stick it through one painful level after another.

Oh.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint

Last edited by DarkCloud_PK; 05-13-2009 at 08:26 AM..
Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Well said, well said.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:04 PM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
with other words, we will have to settle with the fact nothing is gonna change.
Thank you.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
so basically, changing to default hd is a bad idea?
Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
I'm not going to write a big post considering I have little time to do so, but I will say that players want the original HD back for things such as sparring/pking. I agree CTF and most multiplayer events are better with the serverside HD, but events aren't the major thing on Classic. Even if you can't keep serverside HD with a switch back to default, people adjust over time and the game keeps on going.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Classic FAQ
xnervNATx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
I'm not going to write a big post considering I have little time to do so, but I will say that players want the original HD back for things such as sparring/pking. I agree CTF and most multiplayer events are better with the serverside HD, but events aren't the major thing on Classic. Even if you can't keep serverside HD with a switch back to default, people adjust over time and the game keeps on going.

did u read dc post before posting this
Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 PM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
Even the GC's can no longer keep the server intact. Classic is now in a state of collapse.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Gladius
@ Laura.

Don't think he said it was a bad idea; I think he said it would simply take a very long time and we don't have the dev. resources to devote to it right now.

@ Mystic.

"Event's aren't the main thing on Classic"....

You have been playing Classic the past 3 years, haven't you? Events have been the only thing on classic. Sparring/pking are extra activities that people (used to) do from time to time. But lets no kid ourselves; events have long been the lift support of classic. However, it isn't working anymore. I disagree with pulling the plug (in this case, don't ask about irl b/c thats another story,) because I hope things can get better. But we don't have a lot of time before things will become irreversibly hopeless.

As for the HD, neither server nor client are perfect; this is obvious. I haven't used default much, but apparently everyone loves it so hey w/e. If we can pull it off while still adding onto classic, then go for it. If we can't, then we're better off just trying to improve classic, at least imo.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
The problem is though, if you add content now, it will be accustomed to the HD that will eventually need to be revisited. Then there is going to be the same problem that is right now, except even more that will need to be fixed when the HD is finally changed.
^^^
Old 05-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
I love how egotistical the GCs are when a good percentage of players who log on to Classic don't play the events being hosted anyway.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Gladius
And why is that?

Are the events being hosted boring?

Would the players rather be doing something else?

Why, when people beg for events, do they not join events and try to have some fun?

Someone throw in some thoughts on why people don't join events, because sometimes it just makes me scratch my tail.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnervNATx View Post
did u read dc post before posting this
Yes. Do you read any posts before giving your unproductive input? Nope.

@Glad: You and I both know GC shouldn't be the main show on this server. It has been for the past 3 years. The end result is that GC has now ran out of it's juice. Why? Maybe it's because Night logs on very sporadically. Maybe it's because the GC prizes suck and no new ones will be made/released until tickets are fixed. Or probably because we over hosted CTF to the point it's what the server now relies on.

Also, the GC's are not egotistical. If we hosted what everybody wanted, it would be the same 1-2 events and people would start hating those too. Personally I think Classic has a number of great events that people don't give a chance too. I try to join every event, even if it is not what I asked for. *shrugs*

Also, Classic was not created with the HD solely in mind imo. Doubtfully a level maker said "Hmm serverside HD functions like this so I shall place this tile here". I agree some events have been made with how the HD acts in mind, and only have been great on that, but it's pretty possible to adjust to a new HD.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Gladius
IMO players can adjust to a certain level, but sometimes its just impossible to adjust for every single flaw in a system. No matter how hard I try to adjust or how many games I play, clientside is going to screw me over from time to time, as will serverside.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:26 AM
£ôrd Çòñtëgó Me§§iaH
contego will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to contego Send a message via AIM to contego Send a message via MSN to contego
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
It isnt as easy as simply removing the custom systems and whatnot.
A lot of classic, both the big parts down to the smallest of detail would have to be rebuilt to support default HD and movement.
Most of the GC events and tools involving any HD or movement would have to be restructured to work around default, and as we saw with the introduction of clientside HD. Even after being set up for default HD, it would alter the way most events are played, especially CTF, as we have already scene with introduction of clientside HD, which more closely resembled default HD than serverside did.
It wasn't exactly a transistion for the better, since CTF relies on players able to kill each other relatively easily. To both hold up any sort of flag defense and more importantly, being able to kill a flagcarrier who is trying to not be killed. This caused so much of an uproar in CTF that the HD was made toggleable in GC events, and mostly left to serverside.

But I digress, the main point is, it isn't a simple flick of a switch, any conversion to default systems would require exceptional amounts of scripting manpower. Not exactly what Classic has a lot of. If the little amount scripting power that we do have were diverted to reconstructing classic to handle default systems, I could see the project going into years, as in plural. All the while, development on Classic would completely stagnante, as you can't really go on and make anything worthwhile, as your scripting team is busy converting, remember?

As for the old levels before NPC server? That would take even more time than converting the current classic to default.
Fun fact: GTA as of 2004 contained over five THOUSAND levels, remember, it is over 6 years of content.
A vast majority of these levels are in gs1 of varying quality and age, and are not converted to work with the npc server.
This means all 5000+ levels would have to be converted to at LEAST clientside/serverside functionality, as well as removing and updating depreciated scripting commands.
A very thankless task to do by the way, you can barely find people that want to convert levels now for using on Classic, much less Classic as it existed in 2004 in its entirety. It isn't a fun job to convert levels, and in the end, you are left with an end product that contains none of your original work, none of your own creativity.
Needless to say, while many people say they're going to do it, help out and convert some levels, they never do stick around to do it. It is simply not fun at all to do, if you say converting levels to work with the npc server is fun, I would call you a liar. Honestly, find me a team that is capable enough, and large enough, to convert 5000 levels in a respectable time period, people that will actually stick it through one painful level after another.

Oh.
All true but please read the following quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
The problem is though, if you add content now, it will be accustomed to the HD that will eventually need to be revisited. Then there is going to be the same problem that is right now, except even more that will need to be fixed when the HD is finally changed.
Couldn't have said it better myself! (Thank you Rufus for posting a relevent quote by Dusty.)

Classic should break down the work in what is to be done. For example spars, events, Angel Clan, etc. The work starts from the top.
  • Administration.
Needs to break up the work and focus on a peice by peice at a time, with the big picture in mind.
  • Things to do list.
The current staff and new hires should be made aware that there is a 'things to do list'. For example:
  1. New HD in all Spar Rooms----------------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  2. New HD in Angel Clan--------------------------------contego 05/13/09
  3. Update all Spar Room scripts (AFTER new HD.)--------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  4. New event project (In new HD.)----------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  5. Update the ________ quest to work with default HD.--Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  6. New economy item.----------------------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  7. New gani's (shift h.)----------------------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.
  8. New emots (ctrl n.)----------------------------------Whichever staff is assigned, and last date to work on it.

People should indicate if they are working on the project and post results daily, if possible, as to the last date they worked on it. Keep the 'things to do list' minimal but always keep it up and current.
  • Deligation (key.)
Help is definitely appreicated by your staff but it's more important to make sure people have something to do. Dev Admin should be developing work for people rather than developing the game itself (i.e. CTF Sumo).
  • Assurance.
Many will need to know that what they are working on is important.
  • Team Building.
Keep posting and looking for more help. Have someone go out and pound the pavement looking for talent.

A large enough team can be put together to make a difference and get Classic in the right direction.

Otherwise this will only lead Classic into a tail chasing syndrome.

*All of the above are things I've experienced hands on and learned from my degree in Management Studies.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:00 AM
GREATEST
Ares is on a distinguished road
i'd just like to say that i'm done playing classic.. the HD is just ridiculous, i bid you good day classic