Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Classic Server should..?
be left as it is. 4 6.15%
bring back it's original levels and hit detection. 51 78.46%
bring back ONLY the original levels but leave the hit detection as is. 1 1.54%
bring back ONLY the original hit detection but leave the levels as is. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 PM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
I think it was planned mostly in consideration for what could have been, and not what the server is now.
If you remember GTA, Tyhm also blocked off newbies to a point because he absolutely hated the idea of them getting butchered by established PKers in 2 shots. Then newbie saint came and blah blah.
I think the idea is that the new players can't really experience the other aspects of the game anyway until they do those quests etc.
that problem would be more visible if classic had not started people off 6 and 2.
it will begin to rear itself as classic questing allows for more health and sword levels.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 05-09-2009, 10:21 PM
£ôrd Çòñtëgó Me§§iaH
contego will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to contego Send a message via AIM to contego Send a message via MSN to contego
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
if you guys think that 30/40 minutes of forced gameplay is bad, i don't know how you would react to having things be like old GTA where you had to spend several hours to become viable in any PvP action because you had to quest up a decent amount of hearts and a lizard sword.
nonetheless, I'll explore the option of allowing to skip some stuff.
key word is explore.
DC come on, you're clearly Dev Admin - respect other's opinions of what Graal is to them. Graal isn't the same game for everyone because it has so many faces.

Let's tie in an incentive for those who want to do the tutorial. Again, develop some attractive economy item and use one as a bonus for doing the tutorial.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
if you guys think that 30/40 minutes of forced gameplay is bad, i don't know how you would react to having things be like old GTA where you had to spend several hours to become viable in any PvP action because you had to quest up a decent amount of hearts and a lizard sword.
nonetheless, I'll explore the option of allowing to skip some stuff.
key word is explore.
Also I just noticed this. I don't know how comparing GTA and questing up hearts to be competitive is anywhere close to linear gameplay. Just like in Zelda(or any RPG for that matter), I can CHOOSE to strengthen my player by questing and such, to make my game easier for me. This gives me a sense of freedom, even if my next steps is the same regardless. Being able to travel by myself from point A to point B and choose to partake in a quest gives a huge feeling of freedom, even if in actuality it is just an illusion.

However, ripping the player from one quest to the other with no actual choice or ability to walk from one point to another just screams a 'prisoner of gameplay', and with a low playercount and hardly no new players the player gets lonely... there's no sense of community or playerbase until they are done with the quests(if they get done).

Regardless, I think Classic would benefit from a sandbox-type tutorial. Lots of signs saying how to function(because new players will ALWAYS read signs. It's just in their nature in a game), toys to let the players test out their newfound skills like blocks, pots and bushes and maybe a few baddies. And finally, the ability to leave when they want rather than if they complete anything.

Afterwards, quests should be introduced, but not forced. I'm not sure how this can be done, maybe a marker on the map for a destination so the player never gets lost? I dunno, I just like the ability to choose when to quest.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:48 PM
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Well in GTA, while it wasn't directly forced, you pretty much had to do a boatload of quests to be viable in events, PK, or sparring.
Back then, there was no scripting made to allow GCs to even players out, or sparring zones to even players out, etc etc.
Sure, you could sit around and have 6 hearts and a level 1 sword or some other combonation of numbers of your choosing, but if you didn't have 12/3, there wasn't really much you could do besides the events that didnt account combat, or bowling.

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Well in GTA, while it wasn't directly forced, you pretty much had to do a boatload of quests to be viable in events, PK, or sparring.
Back then, there was no scripting made to allow GCs to even players out, or sparring zones to even players out, etc etc.
Sure, you could sit around and have 6 hearts and a level 1 sword or some other combonation of numbers of your choosing, but if you didn't have 12/3, there wasn't really much you could do besides the events that didnt account combat, or bowling.
It's a totally different feeling, though. One is the feeling of being underpowered, and probably a motivation to get better. The other(forced quests like it is currently) is the feeling of being MADE to do something against your will, even if the outcome is you being stronger.

GTA did, however block off a huge chunk of the overworld and pretty much make the players do quests in a linear way regardless. I wasn't a huge fan of GTA's approach either. I'm just really turned off when I log on a server and only 2/3 levels of the overworld is open to me -- basically a single path from where I am to where I have to go. At least enough of the overworld should be open to not feel enclosed in a cage and broken off from the rest of the world. I just prefer an open-world exploration do what I want when I want kind of thing and I think linear gameplay is being phased out fast in the gameworld as it's definitely something always brought up when reviewing a game.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
The difference between RPG games (Oblivion, fallout3, final fantasy, etc.) and online games is that rpg games are single player: your character level doesn't prohibit you from competing in the game, it just makes certain parts much harder until you character is at a higher level.

The thing about classic is that since everyone who plays has 8 hp, anyone new to the server that doesn't do the questing immediately is at a severe disadvantage in many aspects of our server. The main excuse people come up with is "well GCs can just give them HP in events, and people can drop hp when they spar". Really? It's pretty annoying to have to click on people 4 times every time they do something, and this doesn't count events like CTF where they always have 6 hp, which is a massive handicap for that team.

I've always believed that if you truly plan on playing a server, you need to do the quests ASAP to make sure you're at a competitive level. Whether we should force people to do them or not doesn't matter to me, but why not knock them out of the way early? Maybe people would still do them early on, but perhaps they don't want to be "forced" to do them.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:33 PM
Banned
ffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond reputeffcmike has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ffcmike Send a message via MSN to ffcmike
The Tutorial and Intro can be skipped, for those that aren't aware you could try logging onto a guest account assuming you haven't logged on with one already.
Also the Castle Quest has only ever been forced for trial accounts.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
The difference between RPG games (Oblivion, fallout3, final fantasy, etc.) and online games is that rpg games are single player: your character level doesn't prohibit you from competing in the game, it just makes certain parts much harder until you character is at a higher level.
In RPG's your character level CAN prohibit you from beating bosses and such. However this doesn't always apply to just RPG's. Like I said, Zeld ais a very good example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
I've always believed that if you truly plan on playing a server, you need to do the quests ASAP to make sure you're at a competitive level. Whether we should force people to do them or not doesn't matter to me, but why not knock them out of the way early? Maybe people would still do them early on, but perhaps they don't want to be "forced" to do them.
That's the thing, you don't NEED to do anything. They can if they WANT to, is usually how players like it. Allow players to knock them out early, just don't force them to knock them out early.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
It really is ****ing frustrating being a player on Classic. NOTHING worthwhile has been added to the server in FIVE YEARS. Everyone for FIVE YEARS has wanted the old levels from one generation or another. The people in charge for FIVE YEARS have said you can't please everyone with a level pack so it never goes there. But instead, for FIVE YEARS they have pleased nobody.

FIVE YEARS of avoiding the old content and building ****ing 'systems' so that we can get better content. I truly believe nothing will ever come of Classic.

Everyone involved in the development of the server for the last FIVE YEARS are complete and undeniable failures and do not deserve to be in charge of such great content-- it would better offline.

Edit: I quit and urge anyone else with any common sense left to abandon ship. If you need me im on AIM
(DESTROYER STROYER is my aim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Right. I became Classic Manager in April 2004, so thats 8 to 9 months ago, and straight away myself and Selflon started working on the NPC server trying to continue where Tyhm had left it. The problem was we had no kind of working movement for the server, and stuff like bombs and bows were just screwed.

Nothing was working properly, and by converting the existing classic it just meant that it was getting buggier by the day. After just over amonth it was decided that it was too messy/broken to continue, and so the server was wiped clean. This was about 7 months ago now. With a fresh server, I set about touching up a few of the main levels and getting asmall overworld up so that I had room top develop on. At this point I also made it so normal players could log on, thus providing me with feedback.

Over the next few months, I worked on various script and behind the scenes stuff such as totally rescripting the movement, and adding various chat based command, and reworking the Staff Tool's, basically ensuring that a tight framework was ready, making it easy for us to develop for, allowing to develop quests and the like a lot fast that we could before wiping.

At the start of October (3 months ago), I moved to university, and the ports for Graal are blocked here, so I can only get on from one of the copmputing labs (although they are sorting our the ports for me). This meant I couldn't really work during this time. In the 3 weeks I was home for christmas I worked like a small demigod to get the NPC Server ready to a playable state.

Now when you ask me why theres little in the way of content, realize that I've not had the 3 years of development time you all seem to think I've had. Also realise that classic was at a point where it simply no longer represented the history of graal, thats another reason why the content is gone. I'm by no means lazy, so please, be patient with me.

Last edited by jacob_bald6225; 05-11-2009 at 01:11 AM..
Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Do you want some cheese with that whine?
Old 05-11-2009, 02:30 AM
Doctor Who?
jacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to beholdjacob_bald6225 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I like to prefer the term a switch of priorities.

If we'd had more time we'd have done loadsa quests n stuff, but alas we didn't I dont think the server was not ready to go up, but I think it could be a lot more complete. Hence, I dont think it was rushed.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Well we stand corrected on the forced graal castle quest, but I still think OSL should be changed to a more centralized location.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-11-2009, 02:47 AM
Doctor Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticX2X View Post
but I still think OSL should be changed to a more centralized location.
Moving the starting point will not fix anything.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:08 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_bald6225 View Post
I think you mean "". That makes posts good.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob_bald6225 View Post
Moving the starting point will not fix anything.
Yes it will.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)