Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Classic Server should..?
be left as it is. 4 6.15%
bring back it's original levels and hit detection. 51 78.46%
bring back ONLY the original levels but leave the hit detection as is. 1 1.54%
bring back ONLY the original hit detection but leave the levels as is. 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Prince
MysticX2X will become famous soon enough
I've always said everything strongly depends on the eye of the beholder. I would also believe no 'quality' developers come to Classic because it's not as popular as the other servers and hasn't been for years, and that there isn't many benefits for graal developing.

Well said, Nelm.

edit:I also have to add that it's insulting to fix someone else's work to what you think of 'quality' without their consent. If the work isn't of expectations, it won't be used. That's not hard to understand.

former acc: mystic2k

RIP Matt (NBK)
Old 05-25-2009, 12:49 AM
-Ramirez- has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelm View Post
I WOULD work if I felt I was pulling the team.
One look at the complete lack of organization and thought put into the systems and you'll soon realize that it is simply NOT worth the effort. Rebuilding them is a possibility, but you can't do that when Storm is supposedly doing that himself. You'll just be making something that might (probably won't*) get replaced, potentially wasting your time. This, among some personal reasons, is why I haven't been doing it already.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 AM
delterian loyalist
Nelm will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Nelm
So the question has to be asked, "Why did the PWA not feel the need to replace Storm?"
Old 05-25-2009, 02:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelm View Post
So the question has to be asked, "Why did the PWA not feel the need to replace Storm?"
Maybe they did. The problem is that any alternative is questionably better. I guess taking that chance might have been worth it though.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:33 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
Their only argument, and the only one they need, is that it'll be far too much work for the lackluster staff we currently have, not to mention it'd take months of time to complete.

Would classic survive those several months with minimal changes while this project is being worked on? It's debatable, but I'd guess no. Regardless, IMO we should simply try to improve things as much as possible and put this HD project on hold until our staff team is built up.

Is this the best course of action? Like everything else, thats debatable. But whether you agree or not, the people in charge, for whatever reason, aren't simply going to bend to every foreign whim, whether they played 8 years ago or not.
Classic has been through this sort of thing many times before(like I stated in my post) and never really died.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:33 AM
delterian loyalist
Nelm will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Nelm
Well, I'm not sure that the results could be much worse. However, this is not a 'Fire Storm' thread, so I'll leave this conversation for a different time.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
Because scripting communications between serverside and clientside scripting is a pain in the butt, and few other people want to do it.

Heh. Here's a thought -
Whoever can throw together a system that works better (even on the test server), I'll throw my weight behind them for replacing Storm.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 05-25-2009, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
Heh. Here's a thought -
Whoever can throw together a system that works better (even on the test server), I'll throw my weight behind them for replacing Storm.
I'd sure do it if my focus wasn't on a different project. Although, this isn't any guarantee of non-wasted work.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:41 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
You never know though. Even if Classic doesn't use a better Classic system, it's bound to be good for other servers.

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 05-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyhm View Post
it's bound to be good for other servers.
I wouldn't be interested in another server unless it was an allowed Classic remake.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Gladius
BlackSolider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlackSolider
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Classic has been through this sort of thing many times before(like I stated in my post) and never really died.
Indeed it has.

But how many lives does the old cat have left?

(Could insert a random story how this chick I know brought a kitten to my work today and I played with it for a bit, but I'll spare you the jealously.)

Seriously. Eventually people will stop coming back because they decided to finally move on. Graal itself, much less classic, is simply not brining in enough new players to replace the losses anymore. The cycle will eventually break.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSolider View Post
Indeed it has.

But how many lives does the old cat have left?

(Could insert a random story how this chick I know brought a kitten to my work today and I played with it for a bit, but I'll spare you the jealously.)

Seriously. Eventually people will stop coming back because they decided to finally move on. Graal itself, much less classic, is simply not brining in enough new players to replace the losses anymore. The cycle will eventually break.
I think it's worth the risk. All Classic seems to be doing is digging a deeper hole each time they release new content catered to this custom system. They may as well get it over with now, and I imagine if they leave up some sort of playable version(the version it is using now), players will be understanding.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I think it's worth the risk. All Classic seems to be doing is digging a deeper hole each time they release new content catered to this custom system. They may as well get it over with now, and I imagine if they leave up some sort of playable version(the version it is using now), players will be understanding.
I agree completely. I think everyone overestimates the players' willingness to return, or even stay.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 AM
The Flying Dutchmen
DutchGuy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Let's go deeper into that.
I don't think it's the lack of content worrying most players. It's the current people who are in charge of this server who are lacking.
A change of guard would I think already move 10 old players to classic again.
Release content and you'll have people spread the word.
But as long as Master Storm is in charge it will be storming of players leaving classic.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:34 AM
Ninja of Classic
fa12 will become famous soon enough
What Classic needs is a Drive-in theater. That would be sweet.