Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2012, 04:52 PM
anubis_wing will become famous soon enough
Playerworld Idea Pitch - Eruth

So, anyways, here's the thing. I lack time for major development, but what I can do is create stories, and ideas. I have a big one, one for a whole world that could be capitalised on and I want to pitch it to you guys. I won't discuss how the server would work mechanic wise (spells, and combat really), I do however want to give a story line, a map of the basic world and what basically I think would be interesting. (you heard it, what I think, not what you think, so if you think this idea is ****, then good for you. However that's your opinion, so keep to yourself)

Now, the thing is I play World of Warcraft, and I'm a big lover of lore, even though I really don't read it much, I enjoy having the option to do so. So, that's what I believe to be a big fundamental driver to games is to have a back story to establish a future for the game. That's right, this server would have a future, much like World of Warcraft or any big MMO, it's not going to blow through the content right away there'd be a big, "Oh hey, we're going to deal with this now". The thing is, World of Warcraft is fundamentally baseless around what people do, you think you have a purpose, but in reality you're a negligable little spec which thousands of other players do the same thing. So, what I'd want is for players to have an impact on the world. I worked on Maloria for a bit and tried to have a story line drive the world, however it was rejected and everything. Anyways, I digress, onto the show.

The basic premise of this world is that, much like a play progresses through acts, so does this story through the act of content updates. The first act takes place on one continent, however, as the acts progress so does the story unfold, and you delve into a new world where stories occur, kings and queens emerge and players will have an impact on the world!

Eruth is the world, the universe that the people live in. Much like we call the planet Earth (similar, deal with it). The basic premise of Eruth is that the planet has been around for millions of years and through evolution things have developed and become the way they are. However there's a couple main bodies of power that have developed over the course of history. Ilvia, Reath, Cur'ai, and Hulvard. In this first chapter, we're only exposed to Ilvia and Reath, however you will still encounter story remnants of them throughout your travels through the beginning story.

Ilvia is a very religious group which their belief is a God whom created all things, their main body of power lies on a continent far from where our story takes place, there the leader is the Pontiff who is said to be a direct link to their God. Ilvia's gol is to spread the word of their God to every continent, only then will the nation recieve it's true power. Is their God real or not? Only time will tell.

Reath is a more brute of a nation, not believing in a central diety or any such, they do however worship their Warlord. Warlords of Reath are decided by power, contests of strength. From the point of adolescence to the end of their life their goal is to become stronger, the stronger you are the more recoginised you become, and the more prestige your family will posess after your death. Reath has a blood thirsty vigor and a determined sense of direction. However due to constant internal conflict their search for dominance has been severely slowed. Will you be strong enough to become the next Warlord?

Cur'ai is the newest nation and was formed up by a rallying group of forces in protest to the God of Ilvia. Ilvia is currently located on the largest continent and is the largest body of power, however due to constant outstreatching they have streched themselves thin and Cu'rai has been able to emerge from many smaller colonies forming one head of power, though new Cu'rai is seeking to set a name for itself and has begun to start a conflict with Ilvia on its home continent. As such, Ilvias progress has become slowed. Cur'ai is also religious however their views believe in multiple Gods that pertain to the 4 elements Fire, Earth, Wind and Water. The main body of power for the Cur'ai is 'The Council of Four', which is made up of 4 stoic and powerful warriors, that were once common folk, but through unknown means gained powerful elemental powers and have taken charge and are seeking to make a shift of belief in the world.

Hulvard is the oldest of the nations. It is located on the western most continent. The main body of power for Hulvard is an Emperor. He is an old man and is on the verge of death, and the people have begun to have to deal with conflicts. The Emperor had 5 sons and all of which are claiming right to the throne. Hulvard is on the verge of a full blown internal war and as such has halted outward expansion. Hulvard holds no belief in Gods, however Dragons are said to have habitated the land since ancient times, and it's said the warriors of Hulvard draw their strength from the dragons essence.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Part 2:

However, the whole planet is not the focus, this story does not start about the world wide issues, it however starts around this one particular continent:

Verrid (pronounced: V-air-id) :

A continent very versitile and very large land mass. At the moment 4 main bodies of power posess the land.

Crotia (pronounced: Crow-sha)
Dennack (pronounced: Den-nahk)
Reath (pronounced: Ree-th)
Ilvia (pronounced: Ill-vee-ah)
I'll talk about these things in a bit and discuss more about them.

As displayed below, these are the bodies of power and the land they possess on Verrid:

Verrid is an environment that posesses many qualities. I'll start by talking about the land each power controls.

Dennack is the oldest nation in existance and at one point held complete control of the continent. The Dennackians are more simple and have not seeked to expand and have all but remained isolated for thousands of years. Currently they control a vast forested area, many wild beasts inhabit the deeper forests, so it's a trecherous location to tread. The light green in the picture represents deep forestation that protects the capital from the inland, around the backside are massive cliffs that protect them from the backside. However, there are traversible mountainous areas that the people of Dennac can use to get to the ocean. The people of dennac are forest dwellers who have developed excellent hunting, skills and the use of many nature magics.

The Capital of Dennac is represented by the largest yellow circle, the other smaller circles represent smaller cities and villages. Appropriate locations to start a journey. The blue represents water, which, though may seem trivial is a major driving force in locations of civilizations throughout history. And considering the more primitive lifestyle of the Dennack people, they inhabit areas close to water locations, as you can see the major city has been developed around a large split of water. Anyways, seeing as how situations based around water are prevelant in history it only seems adequate that they develop themselves here. The current ruler of Dannack is the King, little is known about him however his abilities are nothing to jest at. He is a front runner in nature magic for his people, however his peaceful ways have pushed him back into the situation that he is in. The people of Dannack have vastly longer lifestyles usually living up to 180 years of age. Will the Dennackians be able to maintain their land, will they be able to push out the invaders or will they just be put into submission. Who will stand for the cause, what will happen?

The Reathans came to Varrid about 85 years ago in a small ship set to expand, at this point Reath had just gotten it's Warlord named, Wallace. Wallace was not as large of a brute as most, however he had intelligence and knew that not increasing Reaths control and understanding, he also understood that the main issue of Reath was that they were essentially wolves with no pack leader, always fighting no control. So he saw this as an opportunity to give power to certain powerful adversaries, of which could be a threat to him. And sent them out on exploration trips to new locations to control their own land. This worked, and Wallace lead his life without threat of dethronement, until of course his son killed him at the age of 50. Wallace's son, Varnus, took control of the throne 20 years ago at the age of 21, and just as clever as his father has managed to keep his power untouched. However 10 years ago Ilvia has shown up on the door steps of Reaths central continent and has halted their expansion.

The legend for this is yellow circles are cities, the largest being the main body of power, blue is water, light green is fertile land, and dark red is mountainous area. The area Reath controls on Varrid is a primarily mountainous area, not a very strategic location in terms of survival, however there is plenty of tunnels to explore, and ancient power to be obtained within. There are some lush areas in the heart of the mountains, but not enough to sustain the ravenous barbarians for too long. If they don't make their push soon enough they'll be wiped out here. The appointed leader of the Reath forces here is General Scarth, he's and old but experienced leader, however he's ripe for the cut down, would you be the warrior to take charge of Reath's forces here and make a name for yourself? All that's standing in your way is time.

Ilvia on this continent is very recent, about 6 years, however the development of the land has been very prosperous. Headed by the war priestess Kaleya, men and women march forward in her name to spread the word of the Lord. Due to Ilvias suprise assault on Reath, they managed to push wreath into the eastern mountains.

For the map here, we have very fertile land being dark green, water blue, cities yellow, light green is heavy forested area, and dark red is mountainous areas. Pink is port control.Ilvia currently has strong standing on Varrid due to the fact that they have access to the only real shore line on Varried, that and the lush farmlands of Varrid are in their posession. However due to the issue with Cur'ai, a lot of support for Ilvia has stopped coming and some forces have even left to return in defense leaving Ilvias forces ripe to be picked off. Or will Ilvia be able to survive and wind up conquering this land, only time will tell and maybe a new leader to push them in the right direction.

Finally, we land on our last group of people on this continent Crotians. If you've been reading then you'll know that their existance is a complete mystery. Well, the truth is the Crotians are a mix of Ilvians and Reathans. Both of which decided to suit a better cause. Easily the most versatile batch of people, the Crotians control the centre mountain known as Elsmire Valley, inside lies the most fertile lands and the safest domain, which is why they quickly fortified and controlled this area.

How this map works is the same as Ilvias outline. First founded 6 years ago when the first assault on the Reathans occured in the valley, after many days of back and forth conflict the two fighting forces laid down their weapons and formed a truce, and have since been slowly gathering forces from both sides, people who wish to forego their old leadership and follow the two Commanders; Miredy Blakhart the ex-assassin of Reath, and Zalted Litebrite, ex-general of Ilvia's expedition forces. Both of which have conflicting ideals of what to do. Miredy feels as though her forces are strong enough to beat down Ilvia, Zalted says they should remain strong and let the conflict resolve itself. Either could use a tip in the right direction and it might be up to a member of the fleet to 'help' make a decision.

Anyways, this is the main concept for the story. Of course there's a lot more going on which would take form in quests and the like. I'd believe that players could make a difference and the continent could be influenced by players who gain power through means of strength, votes, or maybe the first one to complete a certain chain of quests. The continent would be defined over time by what happens for the period of X amount of time. Eventually more continents would become available and new stories would emerge, new choices, maybe players became kid of the nation and lead their country to total dominance. Who knows. So many options, so much playability. This is an idea I'm pitching to see if anyone wants to pick up and work with me into developing it into something even more amazing, or maybe not. Maybe you don't like it, maybe no one likes it, but I'd like to get it out there to say that I at least I tried and that's a lot more than a lot of people can say.

Last edited by anubis_wing; 01-09-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Old 01-10-2012, 01:32 AM
Rgesitreed Uesr
Pimmeh has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pimmeh Send a message via MSN to Pimmeh
Probably an obvious flaw in this is how you're going to connect all the players. If someone is a lot further in the content, will they still be able to play with others who aren't?
Old 01-10-2012, 03:10 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis_wing View Post
Eruth is the world, the universe that the people live in. Much like we call the planet Earth (similar, deal with it).
Easily solved with the addition of a suffix.
Might I suggest Eruthra.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmeh View Post
Probably an obvious flaw in this is how you're going to connect all the players. If someone is a lot further in the content, will they still be able to play with others who aren't?
Well, the world is ever changing, evolving, what was once the leveling place for one group of people, through decisions of whoever gets power, it may change. However if a situation does become very prevelant, then of course methods of achieving a non-barren landscape might have to occur.

A sneak peak into the future is that based on the decisions of the players, Dennack might cease to exist who knows, maybe player decisions won't allow it to disappear. The game, unlike anything else would be more player based than ever.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:55 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
I can see why it was rejected.

Your idea is surely a recipe for insanity and/or broken game after a few people are through with it if you want them to have that much influence on the world.

I do think it would be a fun experiment though. I.e: Give players an island and ways to positively and negatively affect it, and see how long it lasts.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
I can see why it was rejected.

Your idea is surely a recipe for insanity and/or broken game after a few people are through with it if you want them to have that much influence on the world.

I do think it would be a fun experiment though. I.e: Give players an island and ways to positively and negatively affect it, and see how long it lasts.
No, no, no. I don't mean they have complete control. I mean, they get power, they have a main goal they want to achieve. They tell it to the developers and based upon a bunch of scenarios, certain story aspects will occur. IE a player gains power of Ilvia and decides that instead of staying and defending their base of operations they push hard on Reath and Reath is defeated, however in the mean time, they leave their back open and Crotia sneaks in and demolishes their forces gaining support from defects and capturing the land. That is of course assuming the person who helps Crotia wants them to branch out and attack. Who knows, maybe they decide to stay put and Crotia gains nothing and Ilvia just gains more power. Who knows what might happen. You could have constant influx of control in certain areas where pvp would be based around capturing control points, maybe based around that certain events would take place.

The world would be very based around player and player interaction as well as player and NPC interaction. It's not as simple as "Oh, you gain control, now do whatever the **** you want", there'd obiviously be controls and moderation put in place to stop the whateverthe****eryiwannadocanbedone, trust me, I'm smart enough to know if players have free reign they'll do whatever they want. It's not about complete control, it's about the sense of control that would be a driving force behind development.

And my idea on Maloria wasn't solely based upon "Give players power" it was based around a story line, and quests for leveling. But it became a weird Octopus questline where you had to kill Satan, I dunno, that was Mallard. I had a story line of "This is what happens, players gain a foothold in the world by their appointed/voted rulers decisions".
Old 01-11-2012, 04:39 PM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis_wing View Post
The basic premise of Eruth is that the planet has been around for millions of years and through evolution things have developed and become the way they are.
That's pretty fast. It took the Earth two billion years just to discover oxygen.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Kingdoms Management
NicoX will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to NicoX Send a message via MSN to NicoX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakilorP2P View Post
That's pretty fast. It took the Earth two billion years just to discover oxygen.
owned :o

-Nico
(GK Management)

Clash: Nico, I'm going to give you an example of good management.
Clash: One of my staff removed my RC and banned me.
Clash: I didn't ban or remove their RC after I got another one to fix me.
Clash: Do you know why?
Björn: Because you IP banned him ?

Stefan logged on.
(npcserver) has reset the attributes of Stefan
*Stefan: ah my client crashed

Old 01-12-2012, 06:10 AM
zenkou
haro41 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to haro41
Quote:
allegedly.

In response to the OP. i think your maps could use a little love. the blob-looking super continent needs some fragmentation. Some serious tectonic plate disruption.

Zenkou for life
Old 01-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Quote:
I meant billions, you fishophile.

Anyways, yeah, the blob is a blob of map, but it's to get the idea across.