Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Who should own content?
The creator of the content (Developer) 6 20.00%
The server in which it is made for 20 66.67%
Everyone as long as it is used for Graal purposes. 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Unless a server is actively using it I believe it should be the creator of the graphic who should be the one who decides who can use it. If the creator of a graphic can't be contacted then it's the server's choice.

I've seen a couple cases where a GAT decided to leave and get his graphics used else where only to have someone else make a complaint to get it removed because it was technically uploaded to their server first and only "planned" to use it.
Likewise.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:29 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
But on the opposite side of the spectrum, you might have someone working for you, who gets mad and deletes all of "their" work. Or down the road demands you no longer use their work. That wouldn't be right either. If I hire someone to my server, they shouldn't be allowed to just quit and take their work with them. Furthermore, many servers are beginning to pay some of their workers. What if you paid me to make you a tileset, and after being paid, I say I want to use it on another server.

For a while on Zodiac, it was only me and Jerret logging on, until we eventually got a break. But at that point in time, we were going nowhere, and we had been going nowhere for a long time.

If people don't want certain people having the rights to their work, they shouldn't make it for them. It'd be like giving money to a charity and asking for it back at a later date.
I'm talking about servers that close down.

Like I said, it's subjective. It's not a simple yes or no answer for something that can have so many variables.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Moral to the story:

Respect your developers. Don't back stab them after they do nice work for you. Treat them with kindness, and don't take their work for granted. If you follow textbook rules, you'll have fine standings with the management of GraalOnline. But since Graal is a community driven game, you'll regret your awful standings within the community, so it's actually pretty important.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 AM
Retired
SlikRick is on a distinguished road
Well when it comes down it, ethics is from a person's point of view. What some people would consider ethical, others might not see it as such.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRick View Post
Well when it comes down it, ethics is from a person's point of view. What some people would consider ethical, others might not see it as such.
Ethics are established by society, you might have a different opinion on ethics but ethics are the same for all, it is just your choice to follow them or not based on who you are. That is why I have brought up a discussion, to see what is the most ethical choice based on the majorities opinion. Sloppy yes, but as close as accurate as we can get.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:40 AM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
Ethics are established by society, you might have a different opinion on ethics but ethics are the same for all, it is just your choice to follow them or not based on who you are. That is why I have brought up a discussion, to see what is the most ethical choice based on the majorities opinion. Sloppy yes, but as close as accurate as we can get.
Ethic guidelines are established by society, but each person's view on ethics is learned from others and through experience. What I view as ethical, others might have a different point of view on it.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Ignorance has no future
As I said ethics are defined by society, so you either have an ethical standpoint or you do not. If you disagree with an ethical reasoning, your reasoning although right to you is still unethical. So yes you might have a different view point, but it is unethical unless it agrees with society. The word "ethics" is used improperly by many, you don't have personal ethics, you either align yourself with the already defined ethics or you do not. They aren't personalized (individually) but culturally for sure.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:55 AM
Retired
Guidelines do not equal defining
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
You know... Considering the topic of this thread was to discuss this community's general set of ethics towards this particular problem (that being who should own content)... I'm not seeing a lot of that anymore, I'm now seeing more... Amateur Philosophy class.

Cut the god damned semantics.

(Thanks to Crono for using this before me)

Old 02-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Ignorance has no future
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikRick View Post
Guidelines do not equal defining
I think you are getting ethics and personal values confused. Ethics are defined by your peers for what is the right view point and the incorrect view point (a consensus not individualized). Personal values are your personal opinions on right and wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
You know... Considering the topic of this thread was to discuss this community's general set of ethics towards this particular problem (that being who should own content)... I'm not seeing a lot of that anymore, I'm now seeing more... Amateur Philosophy class.

Cut the god damned semantics.

(Thanks to Crono for using this before me)
Please read the title of the thread. Maybe it is not relevant to the OP but I am not against threads morphing into other conversations (and I am sure others aren't either)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkownsoldier View Post
Please read the title of the thread. Maybe it is not relevant to the OP but I am not against threads morphing into other conversations (and I am sure others aren't either)
I'm all good and fine with that as well, but this is petty and you know it.

The general consensus btw, seems that people would prefer that if it was the server that the content was created for as the property owner.

Why would you want it to "morph" into something that's just pointless.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Classic Developer.
TheGodAngelo is just really niceTheGodAngelo is just really nice
very interesting thread!
but personally i like think every thing I've ever made for graal should be given away freely for anyone to use and credit means little to me, but as someone who's had something put on iPhone that is currently being CHARGED for. I was very outraged. It offends my sense of creative FREEdom. (my creativity comes to me freely and i give it away freely, it should never have a price)

Personally, i think if you make something for a server than it becomes that servers property, part that servers identity. If you don't want someone else having ownership over something you've made than you shouldn't even bother developing for graal in the first place. will +rep for this thread though
Old 02-20-2012, 11:42 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
What do you guys think of a public resource gallery, though?

Might be a great asset to people starting out, or those looking to heavily modify stuff and turn it into something new.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Ignorance has no future
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodAngelo View Post
very interesting thread!
but personally i like think every thing I've ever made for graal should be given away freely for anyone to use and credit means little to me, but as someone who's had something put on iPhone that is currently being CHARGED for. I was very outraged. It offends my sense of creative FREEdom. (my creativity comes to me freely and i give it away freely, it should never have a price)

Personally, i think if you make something for a server than it becomes that servers property, part that servers identity. If you don't want someone else having ownership over something you've made than you shouldn't even bother developing for graal in the first place. will +rep for this thread though
I agree that using other peoples content to make money is morally wrong (and not being compensated), but unfortunately it is legal in this case. I mean people pay for Graal so they can play other peoples content but that's indirect because you could be paying for zone or a bunch of other content but nothing specific. While on the iPhone games you are buying hats and items directly - things that have been made by actual players. But most people know this going into development (except for Vinka -lol).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post

Might be a great asset to people starting out, or those looking to heavily modify stuff and turn it into something new.
Dustys free image/tiles thread is great, but I agree that we should have one place where new developers can look for pre-made content (scripts, images, levels, sounds, ganis) and be able to edit them without getting in trouble. We have the code-gallery etc, but if we had all of it in one place and each item was clearly defined for what its purpose is, it could be a very useful resource.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Retired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post

This would be great to help out the community as a whole, and especially people looking to create their own servers and need a starting point. Although it would have to be watched closely to make sure content that is on a server is not added to it without permission from the current Manager.