Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 12:32 AM
natchez416 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Why do you guys like the taking out trade window idea? I certainly don't want to walk to the mall to sell something when I could just do it from where ever I am.
a) It will create another well needed "sink" in era's economy by forcing players to pay for a mall stand every time they trade their items.

b) and what Crono said.

I suggested this years ago.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:13 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Hmm I'm not familiar with Era and perhaps my post is dumb, but what about raise a big tax from very rich people?
We've considered doing this but ultimately abandoned it. There aren't any "off shore bank accounts", but there are definitely ways of hiding wealth (across trials, for example). The real reason for a reset is to facilitate the new scripting improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite_master View Post
Alongside with the reset, I feel that everyone should be unbanned aswell.
I've planned this since the initial conception of "new Era" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPython View Post
Limiting players to a set list of pre-generated items will dilute any real creativity or actual purpose for the business in the first place. Then, on top of that, the pawn shop will sell most (if not all) items in the shop. This just isn't an ideal way to give "everyone" a chance at running a business while combating economic woes.
There's not really a better way to do it. Era Dev right now has the backbone of a MUDLib but a full one would be way overkill and would make purchasing and handling weapons extremely difficult.

Quote:
The biggest problem with the current businesses is lack of diversity and purpose. You have a couple stores selling very basic guns and ammo (all of which can be bought at an NPC shop), and you've got three food stores. The only difference in the food stores is the graphics, levels, and which owner you're better friends with. The -only- thing that gives any of the businesses some sort of control is setting the price, its physical location, and/or holding special sales and discounts. When literally every item in each store yields the exact same results to the player, the only thing that matters is price and location.
I agree with you here. I don't like food businesses at all and I want to either completely change them or remove them completely. However, as for ammo, there's not a whole lot that can be done. I suppose arbitrary stock limits can be imposed in hopes of forcing shops to compete on constant stocking, but there aren't a lot of solutions to that.

Quote:
I think that rather than making another mass-produced automated business system (even looking past the economic havoc wreaked by it, the first incarnation was the most uninspired form of businesses on era ever), you should instead rework the way the business administrator handles new ideas and suggestions. Open up a forum where people submit applications with ideas and a solid plan for new businesses.
Similar to gangs, I don't want staff to be involved in businesses. Staff involvement inevitably leads to inactivity and poor choices. I'd rather see them run themselves competitively.

Quote:
Now here's the thing, I know a classic response is going to be "too much work brah, that's stupid." And maybe it is a bit demanding. But anything of quality and worth takes time and effort. Sure, you can have 3-5 clone businesses battling it in a vicious price and location war. Or you could have 3-4 businesses each with a unique purpose, unique products, and unique vision. Each could possibly add new variations to gameplay and new ways to enjoy Era, rather than the same product at a different price from the store down the street but still a bit lower than the pawn shop.
We did actually plan something that would have businesses interoperating with player jobs. For example, a furniture shop was planned that would use wood (purchased from individual players or even from some other business). However, these would most likely be player-ran completely (think Speedy Pizza).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
better market atmosphere

think g2k1
This is one of the main goals behind it, we've actually pretty much ripped off the trade tables.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:15 AM
comet is on a distinguished road
Yes We Can™

I myself, have quit playing Graal from the lack of entertainment it now brings... especially after seeing so much of its community leave with the new "pay for Gold" subscriptions. I may consider coming back once Era resets, though.

Will there be a new gmap which has been "supposedly" worked on for the reset?
I think the Mall should be worked on if you want to attract players to utilize it or go inside... give it more of a real-life Mall feel.

I suggest you have a "scrolling message board" near the mall displaying Era's current economic status, GDP, or even upcoming events. That should give the manager or players a feel about Era's changing economic status.
Maybe even another "scroll-board" below which constantly alternates the message on what's currently being sold inside the mall... A system could also be created to allow a player to pay for a message on the "board" for (x) minutes.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
Will there be a new gmap which has been "supposedly" worked on for the reset?
Yes, we're actively working on it. As for the rest of the post, most of that is planned except for the messages. The mall itself will display certain items (not sure how yet) and that will suffice for advertising.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:14 AM
Eclipse is a jewel in the roughEclipse is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Eclipse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman13x View Post
Why do you guys like the taking out trade window idea? I certainly don't want to walk to the mall to sell something when I could just do it from where ever I am.

unstick me

walk 3 feet

beside the Mall was a mini pawn shop back in the day, because everyone could only use the mall to sell items they always had other things up forsale in their stall
Old 04-24-2010, 04:36 AM
Everytime I see ya...
Old_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
How do you measure feet on graal?

Last edited by Old_Days; 04-24-2010 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: 300TH POST DONT DELETE!
Old 04-24-2010, 04:39 AM
the fake one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Days View Post
How do you measure feet on graal?
Computer screens are approximately 96 ppi, therefore one inch has 96/16 tiles in it. 6 tiles per inch, multiplied by 12, results in 72 tiles per foot.

silly rabbit
Old 04-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Everytime I see ya...
Old_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok, and I'm sure Eclipse already knew that.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:23 AM
i know EVERYTHING
Old 04-24-2010, 05:33 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
I'd just do a simple 1 tile = 1 foot sort of thing. *shrug*
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I'd just do a simple 1 tile = 1 foot sort of thing. *shrug*
Then characters would be 3 feet tall?

Chris was being more technical about the pixels per square inch of computer monitors. Under his calculations one foot is 1.125 whole levels, so obviously not an in-game metric.

If you wanted an in-game measure then it'd make a lot more sense to say that 2 tiles = 1 meter.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:11 AM
just walk 3 feet jesus
Old 04-24-2010, 06:14 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Then characters would be 3 feet tall?

Chris was being more technical about the pixels per square inch of computer monitors. Under his calculations one foot is 1.125 whole levels, so obviously not an in-game metric.

If you wanted an in-game measure then it'd make a lot more sense to say that 2 tiles = 1 meter.
You can't apply any sort of logic to it... because Graal, especially perspective/character sizes and such don't make any sense. In that case, why overcomplicate it?
Old 04-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
You can't apply any sort of logic to it... because Graal, especially perspective/character sizes and such don't make any sense. In that case, why overcomplicate it?
Well you might not be able to apply absolute logic to it. But you can make it closer or farther from reality.

If you know that you're going to get shot by a gun and there is absolutely no way to avoid being shot but you try and control where you get shot then that is better than nothing, right?

Ever since JennEra buildings and characters sizes on Era have made more sense than other servers on Graal, so it's easier to draw comparisons between the sizes of things relative to eachother. Era isn't exactly Zodiac with "daggers" the size of the player and swords as tall as a building.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demisis_P2P View Post
Well you might not be able to apply absolute logic to it. But you can make it closer or farther from reality.

If you know that you're going to get shot by a gun and there is absolutely no way to avoid being shot but you try and control where you get shot then that is better than nothing, right?

Ever since JennEra buildings and characters sizes on Era have made more sense than other servers on Graal, so it's easier to draw comparisons between the sizes of things relative to eachother. Era isn't exactly Zodiac with "daggers" the size of the player and swords as tall as a building.
Ya, except bullets are nearly as large as the players hands. Guns are huge in comparison to what scale they really should be, as well(a handgun isn't as big as a person).

Also, my suggestion wasn't really my absolute suggestion. My suggestion was to just simplify the whole matter and just convert the size of tiles into something reasonable and forget about trying to make sense of scaling. The numbers didn't really matter, they were just there to make an example.