Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
I don't see where something like this couldn't be designed and implemented through the GDT. Skyld could get the testing and approvals done then uploaded once all the bugs/details were worked out. Its this sort of combined thoughts/discussion and implementation that will improve the quality of Graal.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:11 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinny View Post
It doesn't really but unfortunately there alot of egotistical scripters out there who won't share their, "gold" and certainly won't stand for the chance that their work will be rebranded. The developer could also want absolute consistency. So long as you document every single function/variable well (last time, i went so far to have every function return return help for the instruction if you sent it "help") then it shouldn't be a major problem.

Some people don't like sharing
Well depending on the GPackage (Mainly ones that have Client side functionality), you may not want other coders, cheaters, snooping around for possible exploits.

If not GPackages, then there should be some sort of default server kit, that includes some examples and so on to help a server get on its feet.

I.e:

- Basic Item System Kits
- Custom Server Kits
Old 08-20-2009, 02:36 AM
Bell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud ofBell has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Well depending on the GPackage (Mainly ones that have Client side functionality), you may not want other coders, cheaters, snooping around for possible exploits.

If not GPackages, then there should be some sort of default server kit, that includes some examples and so on to help a server get on its feet.

I.e:

- Basic Item System Kits
- Custom Server Kits
I completely agree, I feel new developers have to spend far too much time just trying to get off the ground. If they had a basic script package to choose from they could then customize or make additions that suit their individual needs.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Why the hell did you instantly derail this thread from "what kind of stuff would be useful" to "how can we make stuff less useful to protect our precious intellectual property"
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
So it's settled.. Global Development Team, will make the Basic Server Kits.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Why the hell did you instantly derail this thread from "what kind of stuff would be useful" to "how can we make stuff less useful to protect our precious intellectual property"
huh? Did I have a blond moment here? What you talking about.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Pelikano can only hope to improve
GS2 is sooooo easy compared to other languages, the only problem is there's no good documentation for it.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I was getting the same feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
He's just pointing out how I originally asked what servers would find useful, but the thread got derailed into how to distribute them in a "less useful" manner, in Loriel's opinion. I suppose that's because he's an open-source advocate, but then again so am I.

Not to say that it isn't good food for thought though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
GS2 is sooooo easy compared to other languages, the only problem is there's no good documentation for it.
I think one of the only things Stefan actually requested for the team to do was to update the documentation regularly, and yes, I agree with you.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Aaaah, sorry, that was not directed at you but the thread in general.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
[...] "less useful" manner, in Loriel's opinion.
Your original problem statement was "what scripts and content and whatever can we offer to kickstart server development, that people can build their playerworld upon, etc". That is a pretty interesting topic and you would think that after almost ten years of having playerworlds, we would have a whole bunch of primitives to combine and build upon. Or at least know what to look for.

If someone's silly little "scripty made by ___" disclaimer (which, in my opinion, should not be visible to players anyway) needs to be protected not only by PWA mandate, but in a manner that prevents scripters from adapting stuff to work on their server, from repairing it when it breaks when other things change and from extending it to integrate their own features, someone has a pretty messed-up idea of priorities in development.

Quote:
I think one of the only things Stefan actually requested for the team to do was to update the documentation regularly, and yes, I agree with you.
This is fatally necessary, in a more bottoms-up manner than just documenting random funny features.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 PM
Somewhat rusty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelikano View Post
Even ignoring the huge contradiction between these two claims, GS2 is not particularly easy compared to languages in a similar niche like javascript or lua. I would say it is significantly harder than most programming languages out there just by virtue of depending on a huge amount of game engine details that are not documented nor intuitive at all, instead of being neat and compact.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
For the record, I was agreeing with you that the scripts shouldn't be closed off; just trying to speak from a neutral viewpoint.