Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry View Post
the most sane one to use layers that gonstruct is using now appears to be working in v6, so I see no reason to change it back.
It's not working in v6, I've checked several times including just before posting this.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 08-10-2010, 01:01 PM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
It's not working in v6, I've checked several times including just before posting this.
Well okay that sucks, people trying layered levels with v6 mentioned it worked fine. If it doesn't then yeah, as problematic as it becomes, it makes more sense to use an actual transparent tile then. If someone wants to add some kind of way to select a transparent tile (an extra control that displays it, along with a button you can press that lets you click on any tile in the tileset to select a new one), that'd be great. Otherwise I'll do it at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktbaloncesto
BUGS
1. When you maximize your screen and click the "add new npc" button, the program crashes

2. Add tiles along the right edge of your screen in any layer other than the base layer. Save and close your level. When you open it again, the tiles appear on the left side of your screen.

ADDITIONS (these are in Graal Editor but not Gonstruct)
1. When you add tiles to your level you should have the ability to click and drag them across your screen.

2. Ability to fill an area with a previously selected tile or group of tiles
Fixed the annoying bugs, thanks for that. What do you mean with your addition 1? Do you mean dragging them into another level tab?
Regarding the second point, you can flood fill with the default tile by right clicking on a set of tiles, flood filling with a group of tiles is on the TODO list, but yeah, don't expect any additions soon, you might be better off using the default level editor.

Edit: Here's the link to 0.2.3

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Last edited by Fry; 08-10-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry View Post
Well okay that sucks, people trying layered levels with v6 mentioned it worked fine. If it doesn't then yeah, as problematic as it becomes, it makes more sense to use an actual transparent tile then. If someone wants to add some kind of way to select a transparent tile (an extra control that displays it, along with a button you can press that lets you click on any tile in the tileset to select a new one), that'd be great. Otherwise I'll do it at some point.

Fixed the annoying bugs, thanks for that. What do you mean with your addition 1? Do you mean dragging them into another level tab?
Regarding the second point, you can flood fill with the default tile by right clicking on a set of tiles, flood filling with a group of tiles is on the TODO list, but yeah, don't expect any additions soon, you might be better off using the default level editor.

Edit: Here's the link to 0.2.3
Thank you Fry, I was experiencing a few of these errors earlier today. Nice to see a fix.

I have a question(s). Since I am not able to test my levels online, I am wondering how layers work in relation to the player. If you're using a layer greater than zero, is it drawn above the player? Or are the layers only drawn above the tiles? Also if I use a blocking tile on layer zero, and an unblocking tile on layer one, can the player walk on it (or vice versa)?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
mby i should add the latest version(s) to the op
Old 08-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
If you're using a layer greater than zero, is it drawn above the player? Or are the layers only drawn above the tiles?
They're just drawn above other layers, the player is drawn on top of it all.

Quote:
Also if I use a blocking tile on layer zero, and an unblocking tile on layer one, can the player walk on it (or vice versa)?
No, all blocking tiles are considered blocking, no matter on which layer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
mby i should add the latest version(s) to the op
Yes please.

By the way Fry, if you ever get around to it, could you make it so that if you already have Gonstruct open while opening a new level from the desktop or whatever, it pops up in the Gonstruct you already have up rather then opening another window? Would be super awesome to have it work like the default editor like that.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 08-11-2010, 05:24 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
No, all blocking tiles are considered blocking, no matter on which layer.
Thanks for the answers, rep++

also wondering how Graal handles different tile types. You said blocking tiles always block, what about swimming tiles, no blocking tiles, sitting tiles, etc. What takes priority?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Master of Puppets
Quote:
Thanks for the answers, rep++

also wondering how Graal handles different tile types. You said blocking tiles always block, what about swimming tiles, no blocking tiles, sitting tiles, etc. What takes priority?
I have never tried placing lava tiles on water tiles, so I can't answer that one. Would be interesting to know, I'll give it a go and edit this post.

EDIT: The "effect" on the lowest layer takes priority, other then when it comes to blocking tiles - they always block.

Last edited by xXziroXx; 08-11-2010 at 07:03 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 08:33 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
I have never tried placing lava tiles on water tiles, so I can't answer that one. Would be interesting to know, I'll give it a go and edit this post.

EDIT: The "effect" on the lowest layer takes priority, other then when it comes to blocking tiles - they always block.
Very interesting. If I wanted I could take water tiles and place them on layer 0, making everything swimmable? I am not sure how Graal handles transparent tiles, but I could make layer zero a swimming layer, layer one whatever, and layer two a transparent blue tile. I could then modify the swimming gani and create the illusion of swimming in semi shallow areas where the ocean floor can be seen. One could almost recreate the looks of the flooded areas in the LTTP Water Temple. I am very happy to know this.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
I am pretty sure you could to the same thing with setshape2, so if you can come up with a pretty npc-based way to turn some stuff blue, you can dynamically flood and unflood things <:D
Old 08-12-2010, 02:25 AM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
Would be pretty neat if there where layers that could draw over the player, would make some interesting levels.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnegel View Post
Would be pretty neat if there where layers that could draw over the player, would make some interesting levels.
Wrong thread
Old 08-12-2010, 04:07 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Is it possible to promote/demote certain tiles on a layer. IE I select a cliff and decide I want it on layer one over layer zero, so I click "promote to layer" or whatnot.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Is it possible to promote/demote certain tiles on a layer. IE I select a cliff and decide I want it on layer one over layer zero, so I click "promote to layer" or whatnot.
You should be able to highlight the tiles and then change the layer and it should move with it.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
You should be able to highlight the tiles and then change the layer and it should move with it.
thank you Dusty, that would have never occurred to me!

also, wondering if you ever revised your transparent tileset?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:59 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
also, wondering if you ever revised your transparent tileset?
Nay. I've noticed a few errors with it but I never got around to fixing it up. If I were to "fix it" I would probably start over from scratch. I dunno.

The problem with editing it is that it's not easy to edit the opaque areas as you can't just eye-drop them. I do have a "raw" back-up without the transparency, but I dunno if I'd want to go that route or just fix it up better from scratch. I made the tileset before Gonstruct even supported layers, so it was mostly all done on a hypothetical level. After working with the layers I have learned quite a bit more and could probably change the tileset for more efficiency.