Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Indigo
Immolate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajchris View Post
I have an idea that might help prevent this or other glitches, or at least a couple, as this is what i use to do on Zodiac when it first opened. I use to make it known that I would reward players who report glitches to me so long as they did not abuse it. It actually worked really well, because sooner or later most glitches are found and many players would rather have a reward than possibly be banned for life/lose all the items they got. Players talk, and more often than not, there are a good amount of people who know about glitches, but don't usually tell staff because there isn't an incentive.
I like this idea.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:44 AM
Graal Developer
Sage_Shadowbane will become famous soon enough
I highly agree with Zoo on what he had to say about just releasing all items to shops. Honestly it's just flat out stupid that this hasn't been done earlier and I've been telling myself everything would be fixed and everyone satisfied if it was done. I mean honestly, you guys are only just messing up your economy even more with these little "item auctions" that you host. I mean yeah, while it's taking a lot of money from this one select person, at the same time you're giving him an item that is probably in the end going to be worth 2 times as much as he originally paid. Really, all these "rare" items are only raising the standard of how much money should be achieved in order to get a half way decent weapon. If you were to release all items with set prices, there wouldn't be any misconceptions of how to "fix the economy".
Old 02-06-2010, 03:49 AM
Indigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_Shadowbane View Post
I highly agree with Zoo on what he had to say about just releasing all items to shops. Honestly it's just flat out stupid that this hasn't been done earlier and I've been telling myself everything would be fixed and everyone satisfied if it was done. I mean honestly, you guys are only just messing up your economy even more with these little "item auctions" that you host. I mean yeah, while it's taking a lot of money from this one select person, at the same time you're giving him an item that is probably in the end going to be worth 2 times as much as he originally paid. Really, all these "rare" items are only raising the standard of how much money should be achieved in order to get a half way decent weapon. If you were to release all items with set prices, there wouldn't be any misconceptions of how to "fix the economy".
Releasing rare items reduces their rarity, so if carried out enough times for a specific item, it becomes less and less rare. However, as a downside to the technique, the item also loses value each time so you'd be taking less and less money from the economy.

Releasing borderline-rare items into NPC-ran shops with a significantly less price than what's on the market could also be good, but may also piss a few semi-rich to rich players off - nobody likes losing significant net worth.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:14 AM
Graal Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
Releasing rare items reduces their rarity, so if carried out enough times for a specific item, it becomes less and less rare. However, as a downside to the technique, the item also loses value each time so you'd be taking less and less money from the economy.

Releasing borderline-rare items into NPC-ran shops with a significantly less price than what's on the market could also be good, but may also piss a few semi-rich to rich players off - nobody likes losing significant net worth.
And pissing off a few rich people is of more worth to the server than gaining more players? Era's real problem at the moment is that it's damn near impossible to get any item of decent quality without abusing glitches to get money or having to perform one of their tedious jobs for half a century. Obviously when people realize that they can't get anything good when they log on, most will react by saying "F*** this." and logging off.

Edit: As for your "downside" to the technique stated above. I really don't think it's a downside.. but more of an upside. I mean, in the end.. when the majority of people log on to Era, they are looking to have a good time. I don't really think money should be of any serious relevance. Honestly, when I play Graal, it's because I am bored and want to have fun.. get some items, PK, participate in events. But due to the current nature of the server it's almost impossible to do those things. I can't PK efficiently without getting owned by someone using some super gun that cost 2 million dollars, and I don't even have a mere 5000$ in my bank account. (Btw, this is just an example.. I still own people with my crappy famas.) :-P
Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 AM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
You make friends, they give you stuff its really quite easy

"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

Eric Hoffer

turned that one on you didn't I.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:35 AM
Graal Developer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
You make friends, they give you stuff its really quite easy
Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Eclipse is a jewel in the roughEclipse is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Eclipse
like will said, all your doing is spawning guns to get rid of spawned money
Old 02-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Venom_Fish is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Venom_Fish
I'm not totally against the idea Sage just introduced, I mean executed with a few minor changes but it could really do well for the current server. I hope an Administrator is actually giving something like that some though, what you're currently doing, is sorry to say; Adding incident to injury.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Mayia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
He said he traded FarmVille items for Era money .
farmville items arent tradable
Old 02-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Senator Amsel Zephlyn
Spikedude will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Spikedude
Most games use expensive quests to get rid of money. Make a quest that has like a 10% chance of payout with like 20,000 dollars per group to participate. It would take like 5-6 people to do the quest, and for every 10 times they try to get their prize, it would take out 200,000 dollars out of the economy. Do 3 quests like this, multiply by 20 because around 100 people would probably complete it. That's like 12 mil.

Just an idea on top of what people have already said.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:39 PM
Indigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage_Shadowbane View Post
And pissing off a few rich people is of more worth to the server than gaining more players? Era's real problem at the moment is that it's damn near impossible to get any item of decent quality without abusing glitches to get money or having to perform one of their tedious jobs for half a century. Obviously when people realize that they can't get anything good when they log on, most will react by saying "F*** this." and logging off.

Edit: As for your "downside" to the technique stated above. I really don't think it's a downside.. but more of an upside. I mean, in the end.. when the majority of people log on to Era, they are looking to have a good time. I don't really think money should be of any serious relevance. Honestly, when I play Graal, it's because I am bored and want to have fun.. get some items, PK, participate in events. But due to the current nature of the server it's almost impossible to do those things. I can't PK efficiently without getting owned by someone using some super gun that cost 2 million dollars, and I don't even have a mere 5000$ in my bank account. (Btw, this is just an example.. I still own people with my crappy famas.) :-P
Well, that's an entire direction choice for the management to consider. Would Era benefit with more arcade-like gameplay or should they stick with what they have? A change of gameplay focus might be a risk but it's got to be better than what's happening now.

I've yet to see assurances that New Era will be void of the problems which current Era is rife with.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 PM
Well, I agree. The Status Quo is unacceptable, but its not hopeless, in the sense that it can be fixed without gambling on new options. If the Administration would focus more on repair, than rebuild... the problems could/would be solved. Although, they've already wasted years on this New Era, they might as well finish it at this point.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Indigo
I have a few questions, to be honest:

Is there definitive proof that New Era has made a significant amount of progress? Last I heard, they were having trouble completing the tileset, which limits level design possibilities. I am also in agreement that focus should be on repairing the current Era.

By all means the Era Development team, if it has enough resources to, should simulataneously provide for each project but is any development team on Graal capable of this feat at the moment?

Where are the priorities in Era development?
Old 02-06-2010, 06:33 PM
We; the players have been kept in the dark. Outside of Gangs, and minute additional functions, we haven't seen anything. We've only heard about the ideas about Gangs, not yet anything solid. Not to undermind your observation, but its obvious they don't have the development team to complete this, let alone in a timely fashion.

Based on what I know, priorities would be:

Everything. They've been moving from one topic to the next, Gangs, Events, Businesses, Quests, Jobs, PK etc etc. Hence why I'm concluded it'd be an entirely new server. Since those are all the core makeups of Era itself.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Indigo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_Fish View Post
We; the players have been kept in the dark. Outside of Gangs, and minute additional functions, we haven't seen anything. We've only heard about the ideas about Gangs, not yet anything solid. Not to undermind your observation, but its obvious they don't have the development team to complete this, let alone in a timely fashion.

Based on what I know, priorities would be:

Everything. They've been moving from one topic to the next, Gangs, Events, Businesses, Quests, Jobs, PK etc etc. Hence why I'm concluded it'd be an entirely new server. Since those are all the core makeups of Era itself.
From this then, it's probably fair to assume their vision is far too broad and, with their current resources, they're biting off a bit more than they can chew. I'm going to state the obvious, and I'm sorry if it's really obvious, that the core team should just focus on completing one aspect and idea at a time. They should really define a definitive set of static priorities.

If they had the manpower, they should create a few, small teams to handle specific roles in development rather than having one team jump from one idea to the next.