Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 05:57 AM
Graal Developer
Sage_Shadowbane will become famous soon enough
Annoying..

So yeah, my server Gladeious got shut down within the last day or two due to the fact that it ran out of time. Yeah that's all fine and dandy, I can just get another server to host it. But my last backup is very outdated in comparison to the most recent version of the server. Now I know I can get backups from Stefan (which will probably take some time), but I already know that his backup will also be outdated in comparison to the most recent version of the server. So this brings me to my point, This has happened to me on many occasions before and I'm getting very annoyed with it. Why, before a server gets closed down due to running out of time, do we not get any type of warning or something of the sort so we can atleast have a chance to go on the server and make a backup? This is really frustrating and I'm almost to the point where I really don't even want to buy a server anymore.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:16 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Pretty sure it doesn't delete your server files because the time ran out.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:20 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Jerret is correct in that your files will be there if you re-upgrade.

And Stefan has daily backups, so if you did manage to get one from him, it would be extremely recent.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:29 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Now then, if Stefan adds a compressfile function to compliment the decompressfile function that's available, we'll be able to write scripts to make neat backups for ourselves
Old 01-24-2010, 06:31 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Now then, if Stefan adds a compressfile function to compliment the decompressfile function that's available, we'll be able to write scripts to make neat backups for ourselves
I have one in use on Era Dev which makes an exact copy of the server (or whatever files you want to backup, with folder structure intact) in the scriptfiles folder, but I agree compressfile would be great.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 AM
Graal Developer
Sage_Shadowbane will become famous soon enough
Thing being that the server wasn't actually mine to upgrade.. a friend had given it to me to use for whatever I want and than quit Graal. So upgrading the server to get the files back isn't an option, and from I've heard, servers are only backed up once every 24 hours, what if I did something major within those 24 hours? There's no way to get that back, except for having to re-do what was made.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
You can just get Stefan to transfer the files from the now currently offline server, to any new server that you may purchase. At least that's what I've done the past 4-5 times Mythic/Maloria ran out.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Vima is an unknown quantity at this point
I think they backup all the servers once a week or so, Bell told me.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vima View Post
I think they backup all the servers once a week or so, Bell told me.
This is not a backup that's needed, it's all the current files that are currently on the (offline) server. A simple transfer from that server to another one is all that is needed, and something Stefan has done multiple times upon request.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto