Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 AM
scooter123 can only hope to improve
What's with that?

I have been thinking...there are servers that aren't being used. Most people don't know what to do with them but, well...copy something way to much. Possibly servers can have similar concepts, but it has to stop with the "Oh Era! Oh Zodiac! Blah"

You know? All people want to do today is make another Era. Zero potential, they look at Era and take everything. If your going to make a modern server, don't copy Era. Maybe make a battlefield like Sands of Glory? (Modern server where you fight in a battlefield.) The idea is original and, in my opinion, quite entertaining. Sadly, when that server got shut down, it was like "Poof!". It can be done, but way to many people are focused on making an exact Era clone.

Try something. Make an idea for a server. Think. A classic style server that runs on pets and chains. Collect chains all over the place in hidden chests. Buy one from a fellow player. Get a house and find eggs and get a pet. Having pets battle for you. You can kill NPCs and have your pets follow you. Over time from feeding your pet (If you feed it, otherwise it will die) it will grow. When your pet lays an egg, depending if it's silver or gold, you can sell it. Gold sells for more and Silver sells for less. With this money you can buy more items, and also obtain items from caves and secret chests. You can spar by throwing a chain at eachother.

Reply back on your thoughts/constructive critism. Have a nice day!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:25 AM
Cyril Rain
sssssssssss will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to sssssssssss
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
Try something. Make an idea for a server. Think. A classic style server that runs on pets and chains. Collect chains all over the place in hidden chests. Buy one from a fellow player. Get a house and find eggs and get a pet. Having pets battle for you. You can kill NPCs and have your pets follow you. Over time from feeding your pet (If you feed it, otherwise it will die) it will grow. When your pet lays an egg, depending if it's silver or gold, you can sell it. Gold sells for more and Silver sells for less. With this money you can buy more items, and also obtain items from caves and secret chests. You can spar by throwing a chain at eachother.

Reply back on your thoughts/constructive critism. Have a nice day!
Armageddon...
Elysium's Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/GraalOnlineElysium
Graal Forum Thread: http://forums.graalonline.com...
Graalians Thread: http://www.graalians.com...

Old 06-02-2010, 03:26 AM
Yes, Cyril, Armageddon seems to sound very, very interesting. I can't wait for it!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
There's servers out there that are different, it's just really hard work and they never get finished.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:49 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
There's servers out there that are different, it's just really hard work and they never get finished.
They never get finished because Graal is now a platform for beginner developers, not for finisher developers lolol.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:14 AM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
unoriginal server ideas have been a problem for years and it will never change. every time someone like you preaches for original ideas, everyone gets talking about doing something different but nobody ever actually goes through with it. that's the sad truth.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
unoriginal server ideas have been a problem for years and it will never change. every time someone like you preaches for original ideas, everyone gets talking about doing something different but nobody ever actually goes through with it. that's the sad truth.
It's not so much that nobody ever goes through with it but more the fact that nobody really wants to waste all their hard work developing for some UC playerworld that doesn't have all the necessary materials like graphics, sounds, script, and levels and/or someone to make them. Which also means whoever threw the idea out there has little to no help with it.

People get all hyped up when someone makes a post about an original server idea but I hardly ever see anyone offer to actually help with it who actually knows what they are doing. What I mean by that is none of the people who are established developers never offer to help. You can only get so far when someone only has mediocre experience. I know being a graal developer is an unpaid job but everyone would rather work on their own server using their own ideas and not be paid for it than work on someone elses server and not get paid.

In all honesty there is only 1 or 2 people that could effectively make a great, classic worthy server by themselves. Dusty is the only person that comes to mind because he is one of the only people I have seen that is well rounded in all aspects of development. If he were to pitch a server idea and he actually had the intentions of making it all the way to classic I would totally help in anyway I could. The same would happen if say Jerret, someone who was exceptionally well at graphics like Elk and someone who was awesome with levels like Wan or Crono were to team up to create a new server.

I really don't know where that rant was supposed to go but all in all what I was going to eventually lead up to was that you can't say that people don't go through with it. You can say that people who do have great ideas don't get the needed help with it.

For all those people reading that are planing on making clones of the current servers, there are a bunch of great ideas for servers on these forums. Look through them, combine them and tailor them to your own liking. There's nothing wrong with taking a few ideas from current classic servers and changing them a bit to how you think they should be but there should be more uniqueness on your server than just the name. The forums are an awesome reference for just getting ideas for your server, you don't even have to use an entire idea just find the bits an pieces of each one that seem appealing.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
A lot of servers don't really take off due to the lack of planning (just writing a summary of what your server is going to be like/about isn't enough) and organization.

Last edited by fowlplay4; 06-02-2010 at 08:31 AM..
Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
A lot of servers don't really take off due to the lack of planning (just writing a summary of what your server is going to be like/about isn't enough) and organization.
This.

Something I've definitely learned the hard way is that outlining what you want to do isn't a plan. You need to iron out the details ahead of time, or you're going to find yourself overwhelmed right away by how complex everything gets.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
I usually get the feeling that people on the forums yelling ERA CLONE, ZODIAC CLONE, CLASSIC/UN CLONE are idiots considering how incredibly shallow the depth of gameplay on those servers are.

If you want to make a server with combat it seems like the only realistic directions to take are guns, swords, or swords/bow/spears/etc.

However, the moment anyone has a gun on their server "LOL ERA CLONE".

Classic styled server, "LOL CLASSIC/LOL UN CLONE".

other weaponry, "LOL ZODIAC CLONE".

I really think you guys need to get over yourselves considering both the shallow gameplay and lack of any discernible plot on these servers. It's eventually going to get to the point where someone rents a GServer and someone shows up and says "LOL GSERVER CLONE"
Old 06-02-2010, 08:49 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
There are a lot of UC modern servers that simply cater to those who couldn't make it on Era though and do deserve the title of "Era Clone." I.e: Graal Ghetto.

Other servers that get called clones can blame it on not putting enough effort in the initial display of a server that separate it's image from the Classic servers.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Well, like I said today most servers goals are to be like Era but what would be the point in being released if they don't offer anything new or better, will you stay on Era, being rich with the same gameplay as some new "copy" of Era or go to this new "Era copy" server and start with nothing. If it offers more/better content than what Era has, it might be worth starting on.

And yes, even with people wanting an original server idea it is never done. People don't want to waste their time because servers just lack a lot. Planning is also rarely done due to the fact that everyone wants a server way to similar to one that is made already. EX: Zodiac, Era.

Due to the fact that most "beginner developers" want to make their own Era or Zodiac, no planning is made and progress is rarely made. Then developers get bored and don't think the server will finish much or anything at that, so they quit.

People need more original server ideas. I'd love to make a server I mean I have a lot of things I would want on a server, but finding people to develop for you are hard. Looking for a developer is like looking on a street full of dogs and looking for one cat. The cat is scared of the dogs and is hiding. The dogs are slobs and the cats are nice and calm. Just like "new developers" for the majority of them cannot dev and the few that have been developing for a while are scarce and hard to find. You can't find the developers and people just don't plan anything.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:45 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
dogs are better than cats
Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Cats are more skilled as to where dogs are seen as slobs. (Not all for both species but on the streets, yes).
Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
unless they are small dogs