Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Microsoft Surface Pro, and Graal, stopped working

Hello, I bought a Microsoft Surface Pro just recently. It ran pretty well with the Surface Pro tablet, until the other day. My computer udated a "Critical" update with windows 8 and now only the Level Editor and Graal Shop work. Origonally, the RC2 would work (windows 8 version) but now it goes back to those square box's instead of text. Graal itself will not open when I click it and neither will the installer.

If anyone has any ideas..
Old 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Undo the update?
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
The only way I know how to is to do a system restore but then it says your pc will update in 2 days. I can't restore every 2 days either. I don't know what all was updated either so I don't know what files it may have added/removed during the update that caused this.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
C:
devilsknite1 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to devilsknite1 Send a message via MSN to devilsknite1 Send a message via Yahoo to devilsknite1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Undo the update?
That shouldn't even be required.... Then again developer tools are 7+ years old, and instead of fixing the RC, he threw your fix in a zip file
Old 07-21-2013, 11:38 PM
Banned
It would be interesting to know if anyone with a desktop or laptop running windows 8 if they are having this problem too. Because it was running fine until the update. So I don't think its the hardware. Unfortunately my mac mini couldn't find windows 8 drivers so I couldn't test on that.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 AM
AGT
dylan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknite1 View Post
That shouldn't even be required.... Then again developer tools are 7+ years old, and instead of fixing the RC, he threw your fix in a zip file
lol if only it were fp4's or Stefan's fix to begin with

Also, I can try to attach the alternate fix with the executable OpenGraal attached, but that would obviously require the paranoia to leave Graal.

<@Logan> I spent a minute looking at my own code by accident.
<@Logan> I was thinking "What the hell is this guy doing?"
Old 07-22-2013, 01:39 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
It would be interesting to know if anyone with a desktop or laptop running windows 8 if they are having this problem too. Because it was running fine until the update. So I don't think its the hardware. Unfortunately my mac mini couldn't find windows 8 drivers so I couldn't test on that.
Which update was it because I'm having no issues with it at all on Win 8.

Edit: I've applied all available updates and it still works fine. I would delete or rename your RC2 folder and re-extract to your Documents directory.

Disable Windows Defender (or whatever Antivirus you're using) and/or add Graal and RC as an exception to it.

Last edited by fowlplay4; 07-22-2013 at 02:01 AM..
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Banned
I'm actually not quite sure how to check "what update" that is. I know in windows xp you used to be able to go to the update center and it would provide some information but I never checked if windows 8 had this feature or if it was in another spot..

Well that's good to know that your not having this problem too, lucky, so this makes me thing maybe my problem is hardware related. I don't have any Virus Protection on this tablet at the moment, I think windows 8 came with windows defender or something. I did have anti-virus but when I did a system restore to get graal working again it removed it.

Now I don't remember off the top of my head but how do I open graal in OpenGL mode instead of DX? I think I remember being shown adding --OpenGL or something of that sorts to the file when you right click and go to properties or something. Was wondering if maybe DX messed up for me.. and only thinking that because technically all that graal is, is a black canvas with a scripting interpreter in it. Everything these days is just scripted. Theres gotta be some way to fix this and im sure if anyone eventually gets the Surface Pro tablet this thread may be helpful to them too.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:43 PM
team canada
There's a checkbox in F3. When RC can't find those files in the RC2 folder it breaks, so whatever's "broken" is denying access or making them unreadable.

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...ndows-8-a.html
Old 07-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
There's a checkbox in F3. When RC can't find those files in the RC2 folder it breaks, so whatever's "broken" is denying access or making them unreadable.

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...ndows-8-a.html
Uhm, yeah that's a lot of updates it lists. 83 to be exact. Heres a screenshot that shows a list of ones that I was thinking caused the problem. I don't remember the exact date the problem started but updating was what causes it to stop working.

And if there is an option for OpenGL then you can do it without pressing F3, iSplash showed me how a while ago because it worked like 100x better in a virtual machine but I couldn't remember if that was v5 or v6. I might try seeing it it will open with OpenGL instead, or alternatively do you think removing these updates would revert this to working shape if it was only the update that screwed it up?

Edit, okay so it wouldn't let me restore to prior to the update. So I did a full system restore. Only installed Graal, and then the updates. It worked before the update, then it stopped working after. It installed 39 updates during this time, I need to either remove them 1 by 1.... or find way to install only a hand full at a time until I can pin point it down to which update is causing this problem.

There is 1 thing, this is running Windows 8 but instead of the standard windows 8 pro it seems to be running a modified version for surface. I did notice a "firmware" update and was thinking maybe this is unique to surface. When I boot up it doesn't say windows, anywhere.. just "surface".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (4).png
Views:	151
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	55451  

Last edited by scriptless; 07-23-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Old 07-23-2013, 02:07 PM
team canada
You can manually select which updates to install in the Windows Update section. You should be able to system restore to before the updates, so try doing half first and if it breaks do half of that half, until eventually narrowing down the problem update.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:37 AM
Banned
I took a random guess because when I tried removing updates it kinda just sat forever at the do not unplug screen.. But I found 2 updates not sure if both or just 1.. That when installed cause this problem. One was a firmware update for the tablet (not windows 8 in general).. I don't have it in front of me but when I get off work I'll post the 2 updates here and maybe we can figure out how or why it causes these issues.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:37 PM
Banned
Darn not going to be so easy.... seems if I install all but the 2 I thought that it still doesn't work... so im gonna have to keep looking.. just finally got internet at my new apartment tho so at least now I can keep trying. 1 step at a time I guess
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
I'm sure you have a recovery partition so back up your naughty pics/vids folder to the cloud and reimage it. Then immediately disable automatic updates. Select the updates that were released prior to you experiencing this issue then update 1 by 1 until you figure it out. You've had that thing for like 2 weeks so you can't have but so much on there.