Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:16 AM
Rapidwolve Rapidwolve is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,241
Rapidwolve is an unknown quantity at this point
Era Needs Change...

A lot of people say resetting the server is the way to go, but the economic problem will just repeat itself. Era is in a loop. Though resetting will provide a short-term solution to the problem. We are just going to see the same situation sometime later on in the future, followed by another annoying reset . In my eyes, a reset would be pointless unless a plan for a better economic system is developed first.

Here go a couple of my ideas for a better economy on Era:

Fixed prices for guns:
A big reason why the richer players overshadow the other players as much as they do is because they know how to trade well and make a profits off trading. Era should not be mainly a bartering-for-profit server. This is especially true for the newcomers not knowing what to do. How would you feel if you were a new player and your working your ass off spending hours to make 10k, when other players around you are shooting you as soon as you leave 'unstick me' with guns worth 200k, 300k, and beyond? Guns they earned simply by trading and having connections? Gun prices are fluctuating by the week and this is a big problem. For example, weeks back I remember an MP40 was around 70-80k. Today, people are telling me that it is worth about 50k now. Wtf? This is should not be happening. My suggestion is that Era have more gun stores that sell guns with fixed prices. This way people will actually have to work for their money instead of hustling and manipulating other players who don't know any better for profit. And to keep rare guns rare, the NPC-Server can just spawn one or two of these guns every so often, but not enough for the weapon to lose value.

Higher paying jobs:
Lets face it, you didn't mine or pick flowers to earn that 1 mil to buy that Metal Storm (if its even worth a million dollars right now). Newcomers have no idea how to make the good money like the more experienced Era players do. Era could have such a bigger player base if it was more newb friendly. Honestly if I was a new player and I saw how long it took to make just 1k off picking those flowers. I would quit. Which is why I believe jobs should pay a lot more then they do now. This would be compatible with the fixed guns price system as better guns would be more accessible. Current jobs on take way too much time to make good money, and we have a business system that is being used ineffectively.

Better management with guns:
Era needs a lot more guns. Period.

Taxes and Interest:
Periodically, depending on how staff feel the economy is doing, bank accounts should be either taxed or given interest by a fixed percentage. Business safes should be taxed as well. This should help keep the economy in equilibrium.

And a better staff team:
Lets face it we don't have the best staff team.

We are told to contact GP's when we have a problem. But what if the only GP is Squirt? Your screwed aren't you?

Or what about if you have a question PM a FAQ? There have been many times where I have asked a FAQ a question and they had no idea what the answer was."

Levels team? What do they do? I don't see any new levels or quests? Do you?

The events team does an excellent job, no complaints there.

Not trying to bash on anybody or complain but I'm just telling it like it is.

Constructive criticism and more ideas are welcome.

Last edited by Deophite18; 07-03-2009 at 06:30 AM.. Reason: Posting history without permission is against the rules. Don't do it again.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Sinkler Sinkler is offline
.
Sinkler's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 683
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler Send a message via Skype™ to Sinkler
1) We've done a much better controlling gun prices. Yes they're still high, but they're much lower than they used to be.
2) You can work at businesses. Gun Point and Ammo Mart pay like $5 per lead and iron.
3) Masa has been doing a fine a job on fixing guns.
4) We do have taxes on businesses not banks. We don't need interest. How would you even calculate the interest? Compound by using the compound interest formula money(1+rate of interest)^number of days (instead of years)
5) Our staff team is fine. The GPs are doing their job and my FAQs are do theirs. Our development team is doing a great job fixing old errors as well as implementing newer updates to Era.
__________________
Hello!

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]



"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Rapidwolve Rapidwolve is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,241
Rapidwolve is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkler View Post
1) We've done a much better controlling gun prices. Yes they're still high, but they're much lower than they used to be.
2) You can work at businesses. Gun Point and Ammo Mart pay like $5 per lead and iron.
3) Masa has been doing a fine a job on fixing guns.
4) We do have taxes on businesses not banks. We don't need interest. How would you even calculate the interest? Compound by using the compound interest formula money(1+rate of interest)^number of days (instead of years)
5) Our staff team is fine. The GPs are doing their job and my FAQs are do theirs. Our development team is doing a great job fixing old errors as well as implementing newer updates to Era.
1) I agree, you guys have been doing a lot better. But your efforts aren't enough. The prices will always fluctuate.

2) Last time I worked at a business, I was fired on payday. Tsk tsk.

3) Masa who? I've seen Masa online literally 3 times since I came back to Graal.

4) Why only tax businesses? Why not tax players too?

5) The staff team is better than it has been before I agree, but they need to be more active.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:34 AM
MontyPython MontyPython is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 268
MontyPython is a jewel in the roughMontyPython is a jewel in the rough
Selling every gun at a shop would only fix the price inflations/deflations as long as they were constantly stocked. The rarity thing goes out the window, then.

And secondly, you can't spawn an item in such a way that it doesn't lose rarity. Until guns break or fall apart, the only way to keep a gun's original rarity is to never release any more.

High paying jobs always sound like a good idea, until you realize something: That just pushes all the prices up further. Let's say originally it took you an hour to make 1k, and a Metal Storm was being sold for 1 million. Now if it only takes you one hour to make 3k, the price will be adjusted accordingly. Now you're staring at a Metal Storm with a 3 million dollar price tag. It solves nothing.

As for new guns, it depends on what your idea of a new gun is. If it's just another set of dual handguns or boring assault rifle, no. That won't solve a thing.

If it's guns that offer other features or cater to playstyles beyond that of just better freeze, reload, or accuracy, I agree.


Ugh, taxes. No thanks. Putting up with them in real life is annoying enough as it is. It'd be cool to take a long break from Era, and come back to find your bank account drained.

What's exactly wrong with the staff team?
There's been updates, you're blind if you say there hasn't been.

There's been minor level adjustments the LAT team's done, they've been working on some new event rooms/spaces, etc. But, you're forgetting a really big part of the development: Era Dev server. I'm assuming they're doing work there. If not, then your complaint is justified.

The GP thing seems a little more like you just felt a need to throw in a personal attack. Why pick Squirt, and what did he do to you? If it's some random isolated incident involving one person, you hardly can criticize the entire team.

As for the history, all it proves is you're rather good at asking the same vague question a thousand times over.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Sinkler Sinkler is offline
.
Sinkler's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 683
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler Send a message via Skype™ to Sinkler
1) We do our best and we are still working on it. It takes time, not one night.

2) How long ago was this? A long time ago businesses used to do that, but now it's 100% illegal.

3) Masa is on usually early in the morning or late at night.

4) How are you expecting to tax players? Do you know how hard it will be to tax players? What happens if they have $0? It's a bad idea.

5) We ARE active. I am on every single day. So is Squirt and so is most of the Development Team. Deophite is on daily as well. What do you mean "be more active"? We're VERY active.
__________________
Hello!

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]



"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Rapidwolve Rapidwolve is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,241
Rapidwolve is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyPython View Post
Selling every gun at a shop would only fix the price inflations/deflations as long as they were constantly stocked. The rarity thing goes out the window, then.

And secondly, you can't spawn an item in such a way that it doesn't lose rarity. Until guns break or fall apart, the only way to keep a gun's original rarity is to never release any more.

High paying jobs always sound like a good idea, until you realize something: That just pushes all the prices up further. Let's say originally it took you an hour to make 1k, and a Metal Storm was being sold for 1 million. Now if it only takes you one hour to make 3k, the price will be adjusted accordingly. Now you're staring at a Metal Storm with a 3 million dollar price tag. It solves nothing.

As for new guns, it depends on what your idea of a new gun is. If it's just another set of dual handguns or boring assault rifle, no. That won't solve a thing.

If it's guns that offer other features or cater to playstyles beyond that of just better freeze, reload, or accuracy, I agee.


Ugh, taxes. No thanks. Putting up with them in real life is annoying enough as it is. It'd be cool to take a long break from Era, and come back to find your bank account drained.

What's exactly wrong with the staff team?
There's been updates, you're blind if you say there hasn't been. There's been minor level adjustments the LAT team's done, they've been working on some new event rooms/spaces, etc.

But, you're forgetting a really big part of the development: Era Dev server. I'm assuming they're doing work there. If not, then your complain is justified.

The GP thing seems a little more like you just felt a need to throw in a personal attack. Why pick Squirt, and what did he do to you? If it's some random isolated incident involving one person, you hardly can criticize the entire team.

As for the history, all it proves is you're rather good at asking the same vague question a thousand times over.
1) When I said spawn rare guns I meant like one or two with a time interval of by-yearly. Releasing some and never release any more works better I suppose.

2) That's what you DON'T bump up the price for the guns, this is where having more a lot guns come into play.

3) No, when I say new guns I don't mean having more duals or modding current guns, I mean actual new guns with a varying array of stats.

4) Taxes are only taken to bring the economy back into equilibrium if staff feel it isn't doing well. Other wise you would receive nothing or maybe a little bit of interest.

5) I guess I just don't notice these things.

6) I've seen the Era Dev server when I was staff here like a couple weeks ago. There is barely any work being done there at all. Only thing there is a couple systems that Chris Vimes is working on to make optimize Era and make it more secure. Other than that there is hardly any other development going on at all. There is a new map which is almost done, but they aren't even going to use that map from what I was told. Don't get your hopes up for a new era any time soon.

7) Not trying to put Squirt on the spot but hes not the most friendly player relations staff we have.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:52 AM
LordSquirt LordSquirt is offline
|Mry|
LordSquirt's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 958
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Let me just tell you a little tidbit that you most likely fail to realize. When I was hired as a GP there were MULTIPLE people who had greater than one mil cash wise. However, through auctions we did and by taking money out of the economy through other ways not ONE person currently has over one million. Do you know why the MP40 went down in price. Well, let me tell you. It's because there's less money in the server, therefore, of course it would go down.

In regards to staff/GP. I don't get why people are 'screwed' when i'm the only GP on. I help people daily in regards to guns, gangs, businesses, and my other GP duties. I don't think I come off like a person who seems unfriendly and unreachable. Whenever someone has a problem they PM me and I help them with the best of my abilities.

In regards to inactivity, yes, I do believe I have been on less than I was on previously, however, i'm still on several hours a day and can be found if needed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Sinkler Sinkler is offline
.
Sinkler's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 683
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler Send a message via Skype™ to Sinkler
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
Let me just tell you a little tidbit that you most likely fail to realize. When I was hired as a GP there were MULTIPLE people who had greater than one mil cash wise. However, through auctions we did and by taking money out of the economy through other ways not ONE person currently has over one million. Do you know why the MP40 went down in price. Well, let me tell you. It's because there's less money in the server, therefore, of course it would go down.

In regards to staff/GP. I don't get why people are 'screwed' when i'm the only GP on. I help people daily in regards to guns, gangs, businesses, and my other GP duties. I don't think I come off like a person who seems unfriendly and unreachable. Whenever someone has a problem they PM me and I help them with the best of my abilities.

In regards to inactivity, yes, I do believe I have been on less than I was on previously, however, i'm still on several hours a day and can be found if needed.
Being on several hours a day doesn't mean you're inactive...
__________________
Hello!

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]



"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 AM
Rapidwolve Rapidwolve is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,241
Rapidwolve is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
Let me just tell you a little tidbit that you most likely fail to realize. When I was hired as a GP there were MULTIPLE people who had greater than one mil cash wise. However, through auctions we did and by taking money out of the economy through other ways not ONE person currently has over one million. Do you know why the MP40 went down in price. Well, let me tell you. It's because there's less money in the server, therefore, of course it would go down.
How exactly did you guys 'lower the price' of the MP40? Also Less money in the economy? Why was the MP40 the only gun affected by this price change because from what I see in mass message the prices of the other guns are unaffected. (luckily i got rid of my mp40 before this price drop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
In regards to staff/GP. I don't get why people are 'screwed' when i'm the only GP on. I help people daily in regards to guns, gangs, businesses, and my other GP duties. I don't think I come off like a person who seems unfriendly and unreachable. Whenever someone has a problem they PM me and I help them with the best of my abilities.
Again I didn't mean to come at you like that but from what I remember, I have tried to get your assistance in the past only to receive no response. Then minutes later I would see you walking around on the GMAP and sending mass messages. You don't think you come off as a person who is unreachable, but believe me you certainly do. I have heard numerous complaints about you. I don't know if they are all true but I used you for an example because I don't really have complaints about other GP's.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Sinkler Sinkler is offline
.
Sinkler's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 683
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler Send a message via Skype™ to Sinkler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidwolve View Post
How exactly did you guys 'lower the price' of the MP40? Also Less money in the economy? Why was the MP40 the only gun affected by this price change because from what I see in mass message the prices of the other guns are unaffected. (luckily i got rid of my mp40 before this price drop)



Again I didn't mean to come at you like that but from what I remember, I have tried to get your assistance in the past only to receive no response. Then minutes later I would see you walking around on the GMAP and sending mass messages. You don't think you come off as a person who is unreachable, but believe me you certainly do. I have heard numerous complaints about you. I don't know if they are all true but I used you for an example because I don't really have complaints about other GP's.
Number one, the less money in the economy, the less chance of you being able to sell the gun at a higher price hence why prices will go down. I can sell a one of a kind hat for 10 million dollars, and no one will buy it, therefore I'd have to lower it.

Squirt and I talk all the time on Era about GP issues as well as other issues that need to be handled. He quickly responds.
__________________
Hello!

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]



"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:11 AM
Rapidwolve Rapidwolve is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,241
Rapidwolve is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinkler View Post
Number one, the less money in the economy, the less chance of you being able to sell the gun at a higher price hence why prices will go down. I can sell a one of a kind hat for 10 million dollars, and no one will buy it, therefore I'd have to lower it.
I still fail to understand why the MP40 is the only gun to be affected by this price change. The only example I can give you from my own experience is that the Neo Rifle is still worth about 100k when I ask for a price check. But the MP40 went from 80k to 50k. How does that happen?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Sinkler Sinkler is offline
.
Sinkler's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Washington, D.C.
Posts: 683
Sinkler is a jewel in the roughSinkler is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Sinkler Send a message via Skype™ to Sinkler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidwolve View Post
I still fail to understand why the MP40 is the only gun to be affected by this price change. The only example I can give you from my own experience is that the Neo Rifle is still worth about 100k when I ask for a price check. But the MP40 went from 80k to 50k. How does that happen?
Prices go up and down. It's essentially a free market. I can buy an Uzi and sell it for 10 million but no one HAS to buy it.
__________________
Hello!

If you need to get in contact with me, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]



"He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that."

-John Stuart Mill
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 AM
LordSquirt LordSquirt is offline
|Mry|
LordSquirt's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 958
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidwolve View Post
How exactly did you guys 'lower the price' of the MP40? Also Less money in the economy? Why was the MP40 the only gun affected by this price change because from what I see in mass message the prices of the other guns are unaffected. (luckily i got rid of my mp40 before this price drop)



Again I didn't mean to come at you like that but from what I remember, I have tried to get your assistance in the past only to receive no response. Then minutes later I would see you walking around on the GMAP and sending mass messages. You don't think you come off as a person who is unreachable, but believe me you certainly do. I have heard numerous complaints about you. I don't know if they are all true but I used you for an example because I don't really have complaints about other GP's.
MP40 isn't the only gun to have this problem. GG, Famas, Deagles, FN2K, and several others. The guns which people usually buy with money went down in price since there is less money in the economy then before.

I don't have any PMs of you asking me of anything, so i'm not really sure what you're talking about. I'm checking the history between us and you never asked me ever about anything.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-03-2009, 07:40 AM
MontyPython MontyPython is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 268
MontyPython is a jewel in the roughMontyPython is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidwolve View Post
1) When I said spawn rare guns I meant like one or two with a time interval of by-yearly. Releasing some and never release any more works better I suppose.

2) That's what you DON'T bump up the price for the guns, this is where having more a lot guns come into play.

3) No, when I say new guns I don't mean having more duals or modding current guns, I mean actual new guns with a varying array of stats.

4) Taxes are only taken to bring the economy back into equilibrium if staff feel it isn't doing well. Other wise you would receive nothing or maybe a little bit of interest.

5) I guess I just don't notice these things.

6) I've seen the Era Dev server when I was staff here like a couple weeks ago. There is barely any work being done there at all. Only thing there is a couple systems that Chris Vimes is working on to make optimize Era and make it more secure. Other than that there is hardly any other development going on at all. There is a new map which is almost done, but they aren't even going to use that map from what I was told. Don't get your hopes up for a new era any time soon.

7) Not trying to put Squirt on the spot but hes not the most friendly player relations staff we have.
(Way too many arabic-numeral) lists here)

II. If it's a player run price-market, it'll go up. Always has, always will. If it's using the system you suggested where guns are sold in stores at a fixed price and these guns are also constantly stocked, there would be no need to increase the pay of jobs. They could simply make prices that are more reasonable to the current pay of jobs.

III. That's what I'm saying, I don't think a new gun with a little less freeze is going to make anything more fun in Era. It's just another "oh, this is just like a <sten,m1,insert gun here>. Pointless. Unless we're going to release guns that have more interesting attributes other than freeze, accuracy, fire rate, and reload speed, there's really no reason to keep mass producing ****. Guns with secondary fire, guns that are like support weapons (GC suggest a gun that launches gas canisters that hurt player's vision, and also has a 5[percent] chance to poison them or something), things that go beyond the usual WHATS THE FREEZE ON IT MANG?

IV. So one second they're taxing you, then they're throwing money back in your account because of interest? I think both are bad ideas. Taxing discourages players from keeping money in their bank, and a fixed interest would spawn tons of money into the server. Do you really want someone leaving Era with 500k in the bank, and coming back in six months to have three times that amount (rates wouldn't be THAT high, but the principle remains the same)?

V. ___________

VI. I haven't been there, I wouldn't know. If what you're saying is true, then your complaints have more weight.

VII. "not the most friendly player relations" - the hell does that mean? First off, who's the friendliest? Rank the members of a team from friendliest to unfriendliest. When was he unfriendly to you? When did he not do his job for you? ...yeah, you get the idea. Specifics.

Seriously, have some decent complaint other than "WELL HE'S NOT FRIENDLY TO ME ALL THE TIME". Give examples of times when a staff member isn't doing their job, don't just make these vague blanket statements that mean nothing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Frankie Frankie is offline
xChugxLifex
Frankie's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 1,610
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquirt View Post
Let me just tell you a little tidbit that you most likely fail to realize. When I was hired as a GP there were MULTIPLE people who had greater than one mil cash wise. However, through auctions we did and by taking money out of the economy through other ways not ONE person currently has over one million. Do you know why the MP40 went down in price. Well, let me tell you. It's because there's less money in the server, therefore, of course it would go down.
when it comes to Era's economy, you have no idea what you're talking about.

auctioning off items is probably one of the most ineffective methods in an attempt to take money out of the economy. I've proved this several times before but nobody likes to listen to me.

money isn't the only thing offered in a trade these days. you may take 300k out of the economy by auctioning off an item, but what you fail to realize is that instead of that player having 300k in cash, he now has an item that's worth 300k which he can still use to trade for expensive items. in the end you're not really accomplishing anything.

if you really want to take money out of the economy you need to introduce items for players to buy that are non-durable, and make sure it's something that it's something that players will want to buy and constantly buy.

guns are durable goods. they last forever unless you destroy them which is unlikely to happen. you buy a gun for 100k, you'll always have that gun and it'll be worth 100k. grenades aren't durable goods. you use them and they're gone. if you spend 100k on grenades, eventually you'll use them all. you just spent 100k and after using all the grenades you no longer have 100k worth in grenades. this truly deletes 100k out of the economy instead of just replacing 100k with an item that's worth 100k.

pyro tech items are pretty much the perfect example of what I'm talking about. if you create multiple different money sinks where people spend their money on certain items and those items eventually are used up and disappear, there will be a greater effect on the money supply.
__________________
*Sum41Freeeeek
*Frankie
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.