Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Truckin Up
Milkdude99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Milkdude99
Someone said if you had the skills you could do a half-arse job and be a good Manager, bah humbug I really disagree with that statement. As in life you will only get out of it what you put into it, if you do a half-arse job you will have a half-arse server. Having a general knowledge of all aspects of a server is a plus BUT if you don't then you need to have the wisdom of at least surround yourself with those who do know quite a bit in what you are lacking. People skills and being able to deal with people as well as others have said, keeping things organized.

Have an overall plan of what you are striving for your PW. Be able to be somewhat flexible with your plans to include new ideas that fit your basic theme of what you are doing. Be open and honest with all your dealings not just the Staff. Don't make promises you can't keep; people are quick to pick up on things you promise and don't get done. Be the example to Staff on how things should be done, don't wait on someone else to do it. NEVER ask someone to do something you would not do yourself. Don't blow people off when they ask something of you even if you really don't think it is worth the time and effort. It is the small things you do with Players and Staff alike that will stand out the most.

Talk to your players and Staff, too many times Managers think they are above the players and they are not worth their time to answer a PM, answer all of them no matter how trivial they are. Sure a Manager is busy but if you are too busy to answer PMs then get offline, don't ignore the players, this will bring a quick bad judgment of you and your PW. If you are working online make sure all the players know this before you start and is also reflected by your nick. But most of all when your done make yourself for at least a little while available to the players who feel the need they want or have to talk to you. This is just a few things I feel will aid someone in managing a server better.

Moon God
Graal.net

---------- Home---------

Old 11-14-2003, 03:08 AM
Over Nine THOUSAND!!!!!!!
davidpsy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to davidpsy
Quote:
Originally posted by Milkdude99
stuff
I just wish I could shout that I have all these things without looking stupid, because I do. I talk to the players and I answer all their questions I give anyone the time of day no matter who they are and forgive anyone who asks for forgiveness. I put my self in their shoes and walk a mile and back. I wish more people would do this.

Sure newbies and just players in general get annoying sometimes "Can I be faq cheif can I be gp cheif?" But they are people too and should be answered, though they should have more common sence.

Forces greater than your self, can be over come.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:16 AM
Truckin Up
Milkdude99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Milkdude99
Quote:
Originally posted by davidpsy

I just wish I could shout that I have all these things without looking stupid, because I do. I talk to the players and I answer all their questions I give anyone the time of day no matter who they are and forgive anyone who asks for forgiveness. I put my self in their shoes and walk a mile and back. I wish more people would do this.

Sure newbies and just players in general get annoying sometimes "Can I be faq cheif can I be gp cheif?" But they are people too and should be answered, though they should have more common sence.
Thats good to hear and it's a shame that nowadays many Managers don't; the exception are those that do.

Moon God
Graal.net

---------- Home---------

Old 11-14-2003, 05:44 AM
Gambet is on a distinguished road
What makes a good manager?

SkyBlazer's Opinion On A Good Manager

A good manager is someone who can mamage the server well. Someone who doesnt hesitate to make decisions and someone that is always there when needed. Someone who cares greatly for there server and give respect to everyone.

Someone who doesnt ignore everyone and controls any problems or conflicts in the server, between staff, between graalians, or between staff and graalians. A good manager should be able to handle there staff and let them know that hes boss, in other words, a good manager wont let his staff members or the fellow graalian members step all over him and take advantage of him.

A good manager is someone who is on for most of the week and someone who can take responsibility. Someone who can be trusted by everyone and someone that some graalians and/or staff may even admire. Someone that if he/she quit the server, they will be missed very greatly and will be known as manager for the rest of the time that the server is up. A manager should never ignore graalians or there staff, unless he/she is really irritating and they constantly just pm them to bother, and even if that where the case, they should still check to see what they want for it may be important.

A good manager should know how to handle any problems in the server and should be able to know what to do if a staff has gone corrupt and is deleting everything. A good manager shouldnt be someone who paniks because of corrupt staff or hackers, they should be able to deal with the problems themselves in a calm manner.

A good manager doesnt have to be someone who can scripts/make levels/ make ganis/ make gfx, no, a good manager should be able to manage there server and they should gain the honor of saying that they own that server.

Thats just some things, but i think i mainly hit the point.

Last edited by Gambet; 11-14-2003 at 06:48 AM..
Old 11-14-2003, 05:50 AM
Re: What makes a good manager?

Quote:
Originally posted by Gambet
SkyBlazer's Opinion On A Good Manager
*snip*
Please use paragraphs next time.

Old 11-14-2003, 05:52 AM
This isnt an essay so i have no intends on indenting and making paragraphs, if its to long for your knowledge then dont read it.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:41 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Lemme break this down. The purpose of the manager differs between perspectives, but it's generally defined as: the maximisation of the playerworld's quality and popularity.

Procuring Staff: The ability to persuade people to work for the server. This is obviously easier if the server is already good.

Managing Staff: Inspiring them, giving them work that they are happy and able to complete, keeping them focused and interested in developing.

At the same time, regulating their behaviour, preventing them from slipping into corruption. Making sure their rights are suitably restrictive, monitoring their actions, ensuring that they're deserving of their jobs.

Creative Direction: Very few people mentioned this, but it's extremely important. The manager should be the designer for the whole world, not the developers. It's his job to make sure that the world is consistent and balanced.

Too many playerworlds suffer from creative stagnation. Nothing new, nothing interesting. That's why places like Oasis are always so enticing - they offer the Graalian something that they've never seen before.

Development: Managers should develop, or at least have the ability to develop. A good knowledge of scripting is extremely valuable for two reasons:

1) It makes planning easier - you know what is possible and what isn't. You can place your ideas firmly on the edge of feasibility, where they belong.
2) You can build the core systems, and know for sure that they're operating how you want them to. These are things that are going to come into effect wherever the player is, and also attract new players to the server (a nice combat system is more intriguing than a nice level or whatever).

Public Relations: Representing the playerworld, both on the forums and ingame. Putting it in a good light (hopefully where it belongs). Making sure the players are happy, and addressing their problems.

Note that I haven't mentioned anything even related to attitude. Why? Because it doesn't matter. If you do all of the above, you're a good manager. If you don't, you're not. Attitude can contribute, but it can't substitute.
Old 11-14-2003, 06:46 AM
Quote:
This isnt an essay so i have no intends on indenting and making paragraphs, if its to long for your knowledge then dont read it.
But its easyer to read and if you want people to read your post which is the reason you posted it for people to read then you should do all in your power so people can read it. As long as its not too much of a hassle.

Dont quote me on this later and make me look like a hypocrite.

Old 11-14-2003, 06:49 AM
ok then......i edited it, better now? x_X
Old 11-14-2003, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaimetsu
*snip*
A good knowledge of scriptings is a nice thing to have but having the ability to tell your staff how you want something done can be just as important if not a great deal more important then being able to do the scripting your self. Some managers cannot do everything so their ability to explain how they want things should be good. Lets say you have a manager who can script very well better then the allmighty kaimetsu, but his ability to explain things to his staff is poor. The server will have systems and be played out as he wants as far as systems and coding goes but the graphical covering and wireframe levels may not be what he ogrinally intended. Thus his ability to explain things would indeed be of greater value then his ability to script. A good manager in my mind would be alot like how you invisioned one.

[edit]attitude does matter to an extent, assuming that the basic manager has a strong will and strives to make a great playerworld and treats his fellow staff with love and respect then yes as far as the rest goes it simply does not matter. But this is not always the case I am afraid, a manager could have all the qualitys that you stated but if he does not have the will and or drive to complete his playerworld and keep it in a ship shape aka still be treating the staff with love and respect then the playerworld will come crashing down. [/edit]

Old 11-14-2003, 06:59 AM
Script Monkey
Kaimetsu will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by davidpsy
A good knowledge of scriptings is a nice thing to have but having the ability to tell your staff how you want something done can be just as important if not a great deal more important then being able to do the scripting your self.
*shrugs*

I wasn't delving into which are more important than others. Generally good scripters are good at explaining ideas, anyway.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaimetsu

*shrugs*

I wasn't delving into which are more important than others. Generally good scripters are good at explaining ideas, anyway.
Not always, but generally they are. Please respond to the edited part I just added.

Old 11-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Well a manager that can script would be nice, but that doesnt really make a manager bad if they cant script. I learned how to script as one of the first things i did when i started graal so i cant really say i know how it is to be a manager that cant script cause that would be a lie.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Well a manager that can script would be nice, but that doesnt really make a manager bad if they cant script. I learned how to script as one of the first things i did when i started graal so i cant really say i know how it is to be a manager that cant script cause that would be a lie.

I'm not a very good scripter, I know the basics but nothing like how to create q menus. I make great graphic's my self and I like to think I am a good at explaining my plans and I am open to my staffs ideas.

Old 11-14-2003, 11:57 AM
galase galase!
mhermher is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mhermher Send a message via AIM to mhermher Send a message via Yahoo to mhermher
Quote:
Originally posted by syltburk

lol thats pretty funny you know, read again and again and again untill you anderstand, then post okay?
Thahahahaha, no i won't "anderstand". Jaffer i'm not stupid.. stop trying to change your opinion because someone who don't even understands it backs you up.

Quote:
He said it can get NO harder... as in, there is no harder job, than to manage a PW...

Though, I think my developers have a harder job than I have... since my job is just mental work, and theirs is more laborous (sp?)
Pleaes, don't write anything you don't know off...
I know jaffer, i speak to him about every day, he's swedish, i'm swedish.. what he meant was:

It's simple, just manage!
It can't get harder than just managing..

like it's so easy.. and it won't get harder than very easy..

R3sp3ct--;

THE END.

Adiarde Manager