Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Playerworld Staff Openings
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
World of Tomorrow

First and foremost, I'm proud to announce that World of Tomorrow is back for another year.

What is it?

If you're not familiar with the server, it's one mostly centered around the concept of time travel.

In a distant age, a ceremony took place finally re-uniting the four Graals that had once been lost after so many wars racked the world with destruction and turmoil. Suddenly, dark menacing creatures burst forth from a portal and interrupted the ceremony, seizing the ancient relics in the process.

As the portals closed behind them, the world's geography and cultures suddenly changed as a result and events were altered which caused many races to become hostile toward others. Even their own kind. Now, in order to gain access to the past and set things right again, virtuous heroes of the world must re-open the portals to the realm of timeless ones and get the Graals back to restore everything to the way it was before.

What has been made so far?

In the first year, several talented developers and I worked hard to get the foundation laid for much-needed systems and content available. This is what we've gotten done:

- Custom Movement System (Hill Sliding Physics, Jumping, Drowning, etc.)
- Player Stat Menu Framework
- Looping Terrain Overworld
- Classic Gmap Test Dungeon
- Custom Gmap Tilesets
- Basic Combat / Looting System
- Custom Enemy AI
- Weather and Day / Night Effects
- Particle Effects and Dynamic Shadows
- Controllable Pets
- Scripted Interactive Objects and Actors
- Online Editing Tools

What needs to be done next?

- Overworld Detailing
- Dungeons
- Inventory System
- Quest System
- Player Skills
- Player Classes
- Content Information (Item Stats, Monster Stats, Quest Specifics, Etc.)

Which positions are currently available?

Level Designer (Overworld) - This role involves sculpting a set of terrain gmaps and placing class objects where they are needed. The maps are terraformed offline, but the rest of it can be edited online.

Level Designer (Dungeons and Insides) - This role involves designing dungeons in the standard 2D Graal level environment, but it involves some thinking outside the box since we'll also be doing vertical and side-scrolling dungeons as well.

Graphic Artist (Buildings and Objects) - This role involves creating sprites for objects and buildings, or other things we might need to populate our maps with.

Graphic Artist (Items and Parts) - This role involves working on a fair amount of sprites for different appearance-related things like items, equipment, body parts, etc. This job also involves checking an upload folder to see if new things have been submitted.

Content Developer (Database Information) - This role involves editing and testing entries in our database tables used for things like items, equipment, and quests.

Animator (Ganis and Particle Effects) - This role involves arranging impressive animations for both Ganis and particle effects. Editors are available for both tasks, and we will need plenty of custom animations for special effects in the future.

What will you need to submit?

If you're interested in becoming a regular contributor and cooperating with others on this project, please send a sample of your best work. The more time you put into detailing what you send, the more likely I am to consider your application. Sending several works couldn't hurt your chances, either.

What will be expected of you?

Above all else, I value communication with those I work with on collaborative projects. At this point, I no longer have any sort of 'master plan' for the server, but I do have some things in mind. So long as you can provide some good reasoning for changing, adding or improving something, I am very open to suggestions about the direction of the game right now, and actually encourage fellow developers to discuss these things with me.

If you do not participate or contribute often, you may be removed from staff. I generally suggest things that need to be made, rather than making assignments. So making other things for fun is perfectly acceptable instead of doing a major project, as long as you're doing something productive on a regular basis and not just idling or playing around with things.

How can you contribute to the growth of this server without being on staff?

If you don't have the time to work as a staff member, but still want to help out by submitting something, we have a file uploader that everyone who logs on has access to. Press F11, and you can upload files and leave comments along with your work. If your content is used, we will include your name in a publically viewable list of donors.

With that said, please send all sample materials to [email protected], or try any of the stuff I have listed in my profile info on the forums.

Good luck to all applicants, and I hope to hear from you all soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1356594636.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	55247   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1295077661.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	55249   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1356652505.png
Views:	451
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	55252   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1356653024.png
Views:	424
Size:	613.8 KB
ID:	55253   Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1356594150.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	355.9 KB
ID:	55254  

Last edited by Draenin; 12-28-2012 at 07:26 AM..
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Graal Developer
Joshua_P2P is on a distinguished road
Good Luck to who apply's
Old 12-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Hey Draenin. The screenshots look fantastic. I haven't been online to see what you guys have done for while now, so I'll have to jump on and take a peek in a bit. Good luck man.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
I apologize that the lighting is a bit dark in some of those shots, and that the levels aren't super-detailed yet. I'm looking for level designers especially right now, so definitely apply if you have even moderate skill in that area.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 AM
Prinking Droblem
Geno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud ofGeno has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Geno
nice to see a post that is not "now hiring for Geno1337world5"

hope it pans out.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM
GraalOnline Zone Manager
Tashkin is a jewel in the roughTashkin is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Tashkin
Glad to see you posted this Draenin. Your server is coming along very nicely and hope you find some reliable staff to help you out.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:08 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Oh, and here's some additional material. Just in case the screenshots aren't convincing.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:26 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
What you've just showcased in your video is nothing new sorry. I do like how you have the npc say something when they die but perhaps you could pick a phrase from an array randomly?
Your traps seem a bit rushed as well, do the flames even hurt the baddies? As a player there's nothing more annoying in my opinion than npcs evading traps,slopes,etc that the player has to endure.

The content also seems a bit grindy, I for one prefer a more compact environment where strategy must be put into killing an enemy. I'm not saying you should be Thor's classic but you should model your approach off what he's created which is similar to the original zelda.

Other than that, it's a nice start. I can't wait to see how it evolves

It's genius.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricxta View Post
What you've just showcased in your video is nothing new sorry.
Note the sign at the beginning of the video that says 'We will be adding more to this over time.' But thanks for the feedback. :]

I don't know if enemies will be hurt by traps at any point because enemies aren't smart enough to avoid them yet. But we will be adding more behaviors to the objects we have as we make improvements. The dungeon in the video is just straight-forward and 'grindy' because it's not meant to be an open-exploration dungeon. You're just supposed to go from start to finish and kill stuff. That's not how every dungeon is going to be.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Looks pretty fancy! Keep it up!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Posting The Truth
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
The video looks like GK and Zodiac had a baby. Grindy and repetitive, you did the same gathering and killing thing for 6 minutes. The only original thing I saw was 'jumping' which didn't seem to have any purpose in that particular showcase.

The screenshots and typed up OP seemed more impressive than watching the gameplay video. I'd like to try it out when it's all finished though, hopefully your response is accurate and not every dungeon will just be start-finish grindy.

Keep it up, seems to be a good concept.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:23 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
World of Tomorrow was so two thousand and twelve.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Currently, the plans I have for dungeons are to instance them and make full clears possible. So when you abandon or clear a dungeon, the enemies will reset for the next time you run it. While some may argue that it may get repetitive, I am trying to keep our dungeons small but plentiful, so you can clear a lot of them in one day if you so choose. Some dungeons will have to be thoroughly explored, while others may be more linear and filled with traps all along the way. I have several dungeon styles in mind, and I plan to do some experimental things with them.

The enemies will be statistically scaled to be difficult but killable if you are the appropriate level to fight them, and when you get to the current 'endgame' level, options may open up to run different challenging modes of dungeons. These will probably include a stat-based hard mode, a time attack mode, and possibly others that challenge players even at the highest levels. I really want there to be a purpose to running older dungeons even when you hit max level, and it's entirely possible that we could have a reward system for doing so.

So, while we're discussing it I must ask... What kinds of other features would you all like to see available?

Last edited by Draenin; 01-07-2013 at 06:02 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Currently, the plans I have for dungeons are to instance them and make full clears possible. So when you abandon or clear a dungeon, the enemies will reset for the next time you run it. While some may argue that it may get repetitive, I am trying to keep our dungeons small but plentiful, so you can clear a lot of them in one day if you so choose. Some dungeons will have to be thoroughly explored, while others may be more linear and filled with traps all along the way. I have several dungeon styles in mind, and I plan to do some experimental things with them.

The enemies will be statistically scaled to be difficult but killable if you are the appropriate level to fight them, and when you get to the current 'endgame' level, options may open up to run different challenging modes of dungeons. These will probably include a stat-based hard mode, a time attack mode, and possibly others that challenge players even at the highest levels. I really want there to be a purpose to running older dungeons even when you hit max level, and it's entirely possible that we could have a reward system for doing so.

So, while we're discussing it I must ask... What kinds of other features would you all like to see available?
Npcs hurt by traps please.(legit demand... i'm not trolling lol)

It's genius.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:15 PM
DrakilorP2P is just really niceDrakilorP2P is just really nice
This is a cool playerworld.