Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 06:34 AM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fysez View Post
Besides, I expected more because Graal is run off of players. Players become staff and build servers up to their expectations. Figured it'd be similar, but a bit more advanced.
That ship sailed a long time ago. If you look back into history very few playerworlds make it onto the server list and most fail within the first year. The only decent playerwords that have made it onto the server list in recent memory are Zodiac, the redesign of Delteria, and at a very long stretch Atrius. If you look at that success rate is it any surprise people are reluctant to precipitate in the development of playerworlds?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:52 PM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
I'm not sure what you're arguing against in here; You didn't specify.
Attachment 55653
I don't think I was trying to argue.
But I was definitely pointing out a phrase and questioning it out to proceed the thoughts out of you more on the subject, as well as mentioned before, ribbing you for the fun of it.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk

Old 05-24-2014, 01:46 AM
Banned
Fysez has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Ahaha, World of Warcraft. I miss playing that game..
Old 05-24-2014, 01:50 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
That ship sailed a long time ago. If you look back into history very few playerworlds make it onto the server list and most fail within the first year. The only decent playerwords that have made it onto the server list in recent memory are Zodiac, the redesign of Delteria, and at a very long stretch Atrius. If you look at that success rate is it any surprise people are reluctant to precipitate in the development of playerworlds?
But if you think about it, people don't seem to care.
All around, people are buying servers and paying their time to achieve something great.

Everyone knows there's a small chance it'll actually become a famous server.
But there's a little piece in everyone that says "I can do it!" And so the time begins to try.

The only way a server truly fails to become what they want, is when they give up.

You can make a bad server, and then change bit-by-bit to become better -- If you don't give up.

So it's worth a shot if you're up to the challenge.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:43 AM
Banned
Spent a long while on Collision detection.
You can see the video here:

Old 05-24-2014, 04:54 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Clearly your best masterpiece Elk

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 AM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
Kinda cool dude

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:00 PM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
But if you think about it, people don't seem to care.
All around, people are buying servers and paying their time to achieve something great.

Everyone knows there's a small chance it'll actually become a famous server.
But there's a little piece in everyone that says "I can do it!" And so the time begins to try.

The only way a server truly fails to become what they want, is when they give up.

You can make a bad server, and then change bit-by-bit to become better -- If you don't give up.

So it's worth a shot if you're up to the challenge.
That outlook is a little bit naive. The biggest reason a playerworld fails is that they lack any sort of focus or clear direction. This is mostly because project management practices are ignored and the development team blindly works on either none-essential or unfit for purpose systems. You can't tell me that realising, after one year of development that almost everything has to be redone that the "I can do it!" mentality still exists. I am sorry if this comes off as being mean but history does show us that a lack of project management will lead to a loss in moral for development teams upon the realisation that the last year of work was pointless.

I have quoted an old post by Dusty that explains it in more detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post

(^ timeline assumes playerworld actually succeeds, majority of the time they don't)

But in all seriousness, servers fail because they're too hyped to get working on stuff without actually putting all the time that's needed into planning. Really, really good planning can shave a few years off dev time, and possibly save a good server. And I don't mean just a small .txt with little details, I mean fleshed out stuff. Sketched maps of the overworld(and perhaps even settings, along with REASONS for a town, personalities and histories of the NPCs), lots and lots of ideas, concrete plans that bring everything together, and a firm, firm idea of what you want.

If you're talking about classic servers... oh, I dunno honestly. Just something doesn't tick for me to bring me in. If I wanted to play an RPG, I'd go play one of the many better ones out there. Era is too laggy for me(I've played 3D games where lag wasn't that big of an issue for me, being on 56k). Hmm, and others just don't seem to offer much. Maybe some would be nice but they insist on ass-ugly tilesets that burn my retina's and push me away from the server. As for the 'classic-type' servers, they offer no direction. I like exploring, but I hate randomly running around doing mindless things hoping I find a quest, and then finding one only to see it's kill a bunch of baddies or push a million blocks. Then find there's nothing to do with the fullheart I gained because the server is dead.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Deleted by Darlene159
Jakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud of
its worth mentioning that in the extremely unlikely event of a newly developed server raising the bar and actually developing most of the things its staff originally set out to, theres a strong possibility that the development actually turns out to be the easy part, and the staff encounter much bigger obstacles that are entirely beyond their control

in the case of attempting to launch a 3d version of graal, the said obstacles would be even bigger
Old 05-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Banned
I guess that's true, in a way. Maybe I look at things differently.
I once owned a server that I was working on for a few months. I developed on it alone every day, always making new things. It did fail, but not because I gave up. Because my mind was set to "What is this ever going to do to benefit me?"
I then threw the project away and went right onto making my Graal-alike, which currently looks beautiful.

Enough of story time, I have experience in 3D programming. And I can work alone.
Would be nice to have help, but not necissary.

I'll post pictures soon, but I've been working on the terrain -- I've got the look of it done (for now, possible change in the future), just need to add details and maybe some graphic settings in case the resolution is too high to run
Old 05-26-2014, 06:18 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Much respect for the screenshots containing everyone's homie CheeToS.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:13 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Cool stuff! Are you managing a git repo we could check out? Keep us updated on your progress
Old 05-26-2014, 07:18 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMelon View Post
Cool stuff! Are you managing a git repo we could check out? Keep us updated on your progress
Apparently she's banned on the forums because of in-Game actions, knowing Graal she won't be unbanned. Perfect example of "action > think"

You can follow the progress on her Graal FB tho
https://www.facebook.com/fyse.vizeverza?fref=ts