Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Classic Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Old Overworld Help

I'm just wondering, how many people would come help us rescript the old overworld/most of the old insides too?

I'm converting the outsides (soon to fix most tile errors)

Here's a screenshot of what i've converted so far(CC and the rest of nimda will be added as soon as i expand the gmap)

Master Storm says:
"But we need new content to please the new people too, it's a difficult situation."

In your replies say wether you would want new content or old content, and if you would like to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	graalmap.png
Views:	293
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	37771  

Last edited by Luda; 09-06-2006 at 01:34 AM..
Old 09-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Classic Systems Admin
Polo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Polo
Theres lots of parts which are just wierd/ugly/inconsistent (like the water). Whilst the old map may please a few old players, it's not necessarily appealing to new players, which at the end of the day, is what we need. Theres also the problem that a lot of the old content its very basic/broken, and would need a lot of touching up. Scripting in particular would be very difficult because of all the changes since some of the was made (NPC Server, GS2).

You then have to add all the new content that's been released, and that just ends up changing what you have. I guess most of you can appreciate how different the overworld has looked each year because of all the changes.

Eventually you end up taking a HUGE ammount of time, when instead you can get very similar results by retouching up the best parts from the old overworld, and integrating them into the new one.

Just my 2 pennies.

I should probably add though, following discussion here, that if people really do want it, and there will be benefits to doing it, then I'm certainly not going to try and stop it.

Proof that the staff are crazy..
*Ghost Pirate: I'm a little teacup short and stubbe here is my raygun here is my butt
DragonX: Jumping jack rabbits Batman! Our eggo waffles have been stolen! To the batmobile Robin!
X-Mann (RC): I have a head ache
Old 09-06-2006, 01:25 AM
Bells doppleganger
nikomi946 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to nikomi946 Send a message via AIM to nikomi946 Send a message via Yahoo to nikomi946
1. Ugly is in the eye of the beholder however I agree that some of it really isn't necessary to restore.
2. Old quests ARE new quests to new players. Why not use the basis of some of these old quests to form new quests.
3. We've waited about 2 years now for all these new quests to materialize and they never seem to make final stages so whats more time.
4. Our current overworld is getting to detailed and path oriented which takes away from its Classic style. It becomes more of the modernized playerworlds.
5. We care more about content than land mass in the end. Haven't many of the old NPC's already been converted, just waiting for a home for them to be placed in?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
This overworld is an updated version of what I'd call Classic, this is in my era as is many other players on Graal right now - this is personally what I would like to see back.

Although I would like it back, as Bell said "ugly is in the eye of the beholder" which I agree with. I don't think some areas need to be added back and some need to be changed to go along with the whole scheme of things, such as the Ninji isle, which I personally hated due to it's shape. I don't however agree with what Bell said about the paths as although this is Classic, it's time to evolve a bit and as the old cliche states, change is good!

Quests are a big issue as it's something to do, again I agree with Bell. I suggest you take old ideas and refresh them, learn from the direction Graal2001 is going.

I can help, and have my own little help on side too so yes, I agree with this and hope it goes ahead
Old 09-06-2006, 01:58 AM
RiffMetal will become famous soon enough
Classic isn't CLASSIC if the CLASSIC material is replaced with MODERN material.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffMetal
Classic isn't CLASSIC if the CLASSIC material is replaced with MODERN material.
So we're stuck with what we have now forever?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Someone you will never be
raymond is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to raymond Send a message via AIM to raymond Send a message via Yahoo to raymond
I feel that the old overworld should be put back in place, but the houses and such on it should be given new interiors designed by the players, as well as new quests. That way classic stays classic, while giving the new players that more modern feel.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:19 AM
Banned
Door427 is on a distinguished road
I think I agree with Bell the most here, although I think that Rufus has a rather good point. If making a few compromises are necessary to bring in more people, then please make them, it's certainly better than being stuck with the horrendous void of a server we have at the moment.

Still, being a (apparently wrongly self proclaimed) oldbie, I feel that sticking to the old is a winning situation. I loved Graal back then, and I honestly don't think that there is really all that much that can be done to make it 'move with the times.' I mean, it's a friggin 2d MMO, people play expecting it to be old school to some extent. No way of getting around that. It's a rather cool theme, I think.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:15 AM
Banned
p2p_Sir_Link is an unknown quantity at this point
I think everyone has realized that I will support this, and I definitely will.

I'll do anything I can to help, and it seems Luda already has an idea of what I can do, which, for the first time in quite awhile, I'll actually have time to do.

It will mean the people of Classic will see me quite less, though.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Minoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to beholdMinoc is a splendid one to behold
The old content was better, by old I mean pre-G:TA.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:52 PM
Bells doppleganger
nikomi946 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to nikomi946 Send a message via AIM to nikomi946 Send a message via Yahoo to nikomi946
It will still be impossible to please all the people any of the time regardless of what content stays or goes but I think there can be some compromise made to fit the majority of the players. Life is filled with compromise and this game is no differant. First off its going to take input from players on both fronts, not just those that complain about what they don't like. Changes take some getting used to and often in the long run turn out to be better once you're accustomed to them.

I feel Ray has the right idea here. First impressions are a big part of Classic, people log on and expect to see a certain set of overworld levels. A place they know well and don't have to ask where somethings been moved to or if it even still exists. New players see the advertising of classic as a place they can put their own houses and are excited to make their own mark on a game. They're perfectly happy to add interior space that they can call their own and brag to their friends about. Quests for items and things to do are also key but secondary. Some quests need to be simple, the patience level of many players is short and they want to gather things quickly so they don't feel so much like a noob. Once they settle in and are more comfortable they are willing to go for the harder things to gain.

Classic has always had major quests and mini side quests with seemingly pointless weapon npc's that people like to use. Like the trident, to me it was an annoying and useless item but many people loved it and still complain its not there anymore. Pking, sparring and guild wars will follow along during the natural course of things. Many fort wars started out as 3 or 4 people fighting and ended up turning into massive guild wars with everyone yelling at each other but having fun doing it.

Lets get this thing moving and bring back classic's egostistical playerbase we all despised but loved.
Btw, gs2 scripters needed by the millions for this to work or the few we do have are going to have total and complete nervous breakdowns trying to keep you guys happy.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Swimmer
newCappa is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to newCappa
according to me i think the continent have been a bit oversized. still i think it looks really good (looks more alive then the old one and i like it), but the size, i mean there are places on the map were players never ever goes. like the northwest mountain, i know that its suppose to be used for questing in the future, but its a bit oversized. and the south part i dont know what to think off.
I would rater split it up and have like 2 continets. Why not divide it into one "old" (bigger) and one "new" (smaller). This is just an idea that pop't-up right now.
Or just bring back the old one and make it look modern (and more alive). that would probelby be the best solution if this can be calld a problem, i would gladly take part and discuss how to change the storyline to fit the old overworld.

Last edited by newCappa; 09-06-2006 at 10:32 PM..
Old 09-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Former Classic Staff
jake13jake will become famous soon enough
The new overworld reflects the old overworld. Delta Island and Ninji Castle will be readded eventually (it's going to shrink the south part of the west mountain). Right now, however, we're focusing on quests. Personally, I'm not on Graal much right now for personal reasons, but I still have left people in charge of projects.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:03 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
To be quite frank, I don't care for either overworld. I came to the realization/agreement with Tyhm, that community was Classic, and the levels hardly matter, and even if you restore the old overworld, you'll never satisfy everyone. From a LAT perspective, I hope you don't restore the old overworld, it'll be much harder to have my work used and uploaded. With the current overworld, I can mold areas the way I see fit, and introduce new content. I was/am making a small island area that I was going to sneak online eventually, and it'd be much harder to place on the old overworld, most likely linked through a cave. With this overworld, I doubt anyone would object to its addition, as its content, something we're lacking.

I know people are going to be upset with my opinion, but I consider it an soon to be proven fact. You remake the old overworld, upload it, and we'll attract a few more people for a short while, and they'll leave again. Then we'll be stuck with an overworld with a couple hundred levels and only 50 - 60 people playing it. I think we're going to have to update the overworld, to attract new people, trying to keep oldbies is just futile.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 PM
TONYMONTANA
BruceLee2000 is on a distinguished road
bring on the old

much thanks to XDaKreepX for the sig