Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 04:30 PM
farte6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan View Post
I for one am greatful for all the work you've done. Very very impressive material on BI from what I've seen.
Same here, I think you were one of the last developers I thought could pull something off. But ya know life takes priority, my life has done the same thing.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Daniel
Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias View Post
I wish I could have found enough people willing to help, but as mentioned I have a pretty high standard for quality... and while I could have lowered my standards, I think the server would have suffered more for it.
The only one having a crazy high standard is Rufus x-x
Old 09-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The only one having a crazy high standard is Rufus x-x
I'm assuming he's only got a high standard because he'll be keeping the current material on BI which is very very good!1
Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Alure1316 is on a distinguished road
konidias, I appreciate the work you've done. From what I saw on that short sneak-peek you gave me, Bomy Island was looking really good. The mining system was actually fun, not just hitting D over and over. The fighting system was way improved. It just looked good overall.

What I would like is to have the Bomberman level back at least... I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't mind being in the waiting room playing that game while the server is released. Even if it does come out in 2099 [/sarcasm].
Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 AM
Oinkness will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Oinkness Send a message via MSN to Oinkness Send a message via Yahoo to Oinkness
Well on the one hand, lowering your standards may have made the world's quality suffer a bit.... but not as much as having your project fail, which is about a 100% suffering percentage? x.x
Old 09-08-2008, 04:10 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
I am kind of upset that Rufus has control of the server now. He has no planned release date, or even a schedule/deadlines.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:07 AM
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I am kind of upset that Rufus has control of the server now. He has no planned release date, or even a schedule/deadlines.
At least it is being worked on. If he was getting paid to develop it'd be different story.

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS

“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player

Old 09-08-2008, 05:09 AM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
At least it is being worked on. If he was getting paid to develop it'd be different story.
Anyone can work on it the way he is. The key is to find someone who'll actually put a reasonable release date out there and stick to it.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:49 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkness View Post
Well on the one hand, lowering your standards may have made the world's quality suffer a bit.... but not as much as having your project fail, which is about a 100% suffering percentage? x.x
If you want to look at it that way... lowering the standards would make it so the server would get done... Then people would play it for a while until they noticed how everything was crap and then leave... effectively killing the server over a long period of time, and wasting everyone's time even more.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 09-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Oinkness will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Oinkness Send a message via MSN to Oinkness Send a message via Yahoo to Oinkness
If the playerworld got up with people playing it, you would suddenly stop your work? If you worked to fix and upgrade these things which you deemed "lower quality" once you're in business, then players would have something to look forward to and keep them interested. And I never said you had to accept crap or convert your whole project into crap to accommodate your new staff.

It's arguable that the developers on Graal now are better than ever, and for their age, they're practically geniuses. You don't see a lot of 15 year olds who are fluent in javascript. I think you'd be surprised with what you could find if you gave people a chance.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Old Bee
konidias will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to konidias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oinkness View Post
If the playerworld got up with people playing it, you would suddenly stop your work? If you worked to fix and upgrade these things which you deemed "lower quality" once you're in business, then players would have something to look forward to and keep them interested. And I never said you had to accept crap or convert your whole project into crap to accommodate your new staff.

It's arguable that the developers on Graal now are better than ever, and for their age, they're practically geniuses. You don't see a lot of 15 year olds who are fluent in javascript. I think you'd be surprised with what you could find if you gave people a chance.
If the playerworld got up with people playing it, there would be a lot of chaos. All dev time would be focused on fixing issues of bugs that players discover, or making sure things are running smoothly and it would become a lot more difficult to continue building the server with people running all over it. It sounds easier to do than it actually is.

I don't know where the developer level stands anymore as I haven't been around in like a year... but I'll say this... there were talented people back when I was still managing the server and the majority of them had a major flaw which caused them to not be good candidates for staff. Such as:

1. Egotistical. They think they are better than everyone at what they do, and this can lead to them doing things on their own time/terms, which means they aren't very reliable. They basically want to run things and do it their way.

2. Busy. They might be really good, but if they can only devote 30 minutes every couple of days, what good are they really?

3. Floaty. They want to help... they don't want to help. They want to help... then they want to make their own server. Then they want to help... then they quit Graal. Then they want to help... then... etc. Can't depend on them to finish anything even though the stuff they might have been working on was good.

4. Not caring about players. They would rather make staff tools and screw around with their own scripts or content instead of working toward the greater good. They basically just like having RC and "power" and doing whatever they please.

5. Just want to sneak a peek. They might be good but they really only intended on looking over all the content and progress made, and then pretend like they want to help but suddenly stop showing up after they've seen everything.

6. Just can't match what is needed. They might be good at one style, but can they match the style Bomy Island was trying to go for? If they do their own style it's not going to match, and then it's going to look like a hodgepodge.

All of these reasons, along with the other stuff I mentioned, such as not getting paid to do any work... having a life outside of the game, a real job, etc...

If it were as easy as asking the great developers in the community to help out and they helped out, more servers would be completed already.

Put this image in your sig if you support Bomy Island! (g2k1 revision)
play bomberman while you wait!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by konidias View Post
Then people would play it for a while until they noticed how everything was crap and then leave... effectively killing the server over a long period of time
Fair prediction but in the world of Graal where everything is crap, this doesn't happen. Just look at Zodiac.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned
sid.gottlieb@googlemail.com will become famous soon enough
some of the stuff i saw on BI [Contiga scripted] was pointless...
although it's good, it isn't needed.

I didn't like how you named the functions either tbh
HTML Code:
public function load_a_f( who, slot, detail) 
public function gen_m_a( who, slot) 
public function mod_m_a( who, slot, mod1, mod2, mod3, detail) 
public function save_m_s( who, slot) 
Old 09-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Daniel
Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
some of the stuff i saw on BI [Contiga scripted] was pointless...
although it's good, it isn't needed.

I didn't like how you named the functions either tbh
HTML Code:
public function load_a_f( who, slot, detail) 
public function gen_m_a( who, slot) 
public function mod_m_a( who, slot, mod1, mod2, mod3, detail) 
public function save_m_s( who, slot) 
Ah x-x that's not Bomy Island stuff. It was some old stuff used on Esteria a few years ago. Also the styling was really bad... Bomy Island has quite efficient systems now.

Current functions:
PHP Code:
public function getItem(item,cat)
public function 
removeItem(item,cat,quant
public function 
addItem(item,cat,quant
public function 
hasItem(item,cat
They will need callstack checks though
Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned