Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Predefined Tileobjects - Windows 7

So I have a windows 7 installed on this computer now, and I have been having issues when I try to select predefined tileobjects. The list seems to be blank, same with the path generator. Not sure how to fix this but I find it very helpfull to quickly find tiles for cliffing and such..

Any help would be appreciated..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leveleditorbug.png
Views:	162
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	54980  
Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 AM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
So I have a windows 7 installed on this computer now, and I have been having issues when I try to select predefined tileobjects. The list seems to be blank, same with the path generator. Not sure how to fix this but I find it very helpfull to quickly find tiles for cliffing and such..

Any help would be appreciated..
No pun intended, why would you ever want to use predefined tiles and/or path generator? 9 years of leveling and I haven't even used it once. If you plan on actually using it I would advise not to and to just select custom tiles manually (it leaves room for more creation)
Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Navigate your way to CProgram Files\Graal\tileobjects and make sure you actually have the files there.

Only thing I can think of is making sure GraalEditor has administrative rights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialistic View Post
No pun intended, why would you ever want to use predefined tiles and/or path generator? 9 years of leveling and I haven't even used it once. If you plan on actually using it I would advise not to and to just select custom tiles manually (it leaves room for more creation)
What? Predefined tiles are extremely useful, even the default ones(which I use exclusively). They may not be useful to use on their own but it's much better to dissect them than to sit and arrange every single tile by hand.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Navigate your way to CProgram Files\Graal\tileobjects and make sure you actually have the files there.

What? Predefined tiles are extremely useful, even the default ones(which I use exclusively). They may not be useful to use on their own but it's much better to dissect them than to sit and arrange every single tile by hand.
Yes, like there is "desert pillar" and it has sand cliff bottom tiles that I cant seem to find without it.

Also, yes the tiles are there. I also copied them to 2 other locations "levels/" and the main dir just to see if it did anything. I also had administrative access.... oddly if I download the graal reborn one, it works =/
Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
A game should never need to be run with administrator rights. If this solves the problem, then you've got underlying permissions errors.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
A game should never need to be run with administrator rights. If this solves the problem, then you've got underlying permissions errors.
I dunno tbh, I just know Graal has had a lot of issues with Windows 7 because it's not getting access to files or something like that and usually I see that being suggested as the resolution.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
I dunno tbh, I just know Graal has had a lot of issues with Windows 7 because it's not getting access to files or something like that and usually I see that being suggested as the resolution.
I don't know much about Windows, but I would never consider running a game as root on any other platform. It should be possible to just fix the file permissions so that it can access whatever it needs. If it's in your user folder it should be pretty easy.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
I don't know much about Windows, but I would never consider running a game as root on any other platform. It should be possible to just fix the file permissions so that it can access whatever it needs. If it's in your user folder it should be pretty easy.
Already tried that, before running as administrator. Because running as administrator seems to make an annoying window popup to make sure I want to run it as an admin... *sigh*

Guess I will just copy the tiledata from all the objects into a level, should be fairly simple to edit a NW level and just paste them in. I would just rather fix the problem rather then apply a work-around.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 AM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
This may sound silly but have you tried re-installing the packages from Graal's start menu?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned
Quote:
This may sound silly but have you tried re-installing the packages from Graal's start menu?
0_0 .. wtf? It worked now. I could have sworn I tried that a few days ago without success.. But maybe it made a difference giving the folder read/write rights and full permissions... dunno.

Thanks, rep+.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 AM
stuff and stuff
kalabar24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kalabar24
This happened to me also when i first installed GraalEditor on my Windows 7 laptop. All i thought was to re-install GraalEditor, and it worked. But now its the same. I so confused. :P
Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Criminal X
PrinceDark will become famous soon enough
I was having the same problems with it too. I was creating predefined tiles and saving them, but they would not load the next time I played the level even though they were in the tiledefs folders. In order to get them to work I had to create the list, save the list, save the game, and then play the game before closing the game so it can be there the next time I opened the editor. Weird stuff.

And nothing wrong with using predefined tiles. I create my own list often for playerworlds that have different graphics. Plus it helps when I can script an editor control NPC. Gets levels work done much faster.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Yeah you don't know what you're talking about sonny.
What I've found most useful is creating my own predefined objects per levels I create.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Master Tux
WanDaMan is a jewel in the roughWanDaMan is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to WanDaMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
Yeah you don't know what you're talking about sonny.
What I've found most useful is creating my own predefined objects per levels I create.
Speaking from experience, if I didn't use the predefined objects I created I'd be simply copying and pasting from another level.

Predefined objects work wonders when working on overworlds especially for the design stage of the project as they offer ease and no loss in quality.

I wouldn't recommend the path generators as they can be tedious.

I'll +rep you when I can for the past few posts you've done.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Banned
Did anyone try doing what I did to get it working?
  1. Change file permissions for folder
  2. Reinstall editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan View Post
I wouldn't recommend the path generators as they can be tedious.
Me either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanDaMan View Post
Predefined objects work wonders when working on overworlds especially for the design stage of the project as they offer ease and no loss in quality.
I do this very often.