Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro Send a message via Skype™ to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
Maybe not but Bell did state the team will help under construction playerworlds and updating the documentation on the graal bible. Having an active gold subscription may not be required for all members of the team in special cases but in general most applicants should have an active gold subscription.
if the team is going to be that helpful to graal, as suggested, then i don't see why it would be a problem to give active and contributing members gold. while some developers might be adamant about helping graal out and purchasing gold to just join the team, i'd guess that the majority are not
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 08-20-2009, 05:49 AM
cyan3 cyan3 is offline
Registered User
cyan3's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: England
Posts: 2,919
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
if the team is going to be that helpful to graal, as suggested, then i don't see why it would be a problem to give active and contributing members gold. while some developers might be adamant about helping graal out and purchasing gold to just join the team, i'd guess that the majority are not
As far as I know the current global staff team has to pay for gold subscriptions so I don't see why members of the global development team would get it.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 AM
Hiro Hiro is offline
\(^∀^)メ(≧∇≦)ノ
Hiro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,965
Hiro has a spectacular aura aboutHiro has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Hiro Send a message via Skype™ to Hiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
As far as I know the current global staff team has to pay for gold subscriptions so I don't see why members of the global development team would get it.
i didn't know that - what i do know is that gold has been given out to globals and developers in the past and could be done again
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Clockwork Clockwork is offline
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,071
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Clockwork
How would this work in servers that do not allow global guilds? :P
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 AM
cyan3 cyan3 is offline
Registered User
cyan3's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: England
Posts: 2,919
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
How would this work in servers that do not allow global guilds? :P
Administration and special guilds work on every server even with global guilds disabled. As an example I could use both GK Staff and Global News Team global guilds on Era or Zodiac even with the option disabled.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:50 AM
Clockwork Clockwork is offline
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,071
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Clockwork
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
Administration and special guilds work on every server even with global guilds disabled. As an example I could use both GK Staff and Global News Team global guilds on Era or Zodiac even with the option disabled.
Ah...I was trying to think of a guild that might work but I couldn't... Thanks for reminding me of those.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Rufus Rufus is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,698
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I predict a lot of people applying who think they can develop but actually can't. If this is the case, and they're actually taken on board, then they're not going to recognize that they're not all that, nothing is going to change in quality, and there will be no incentive to change or get better. High standards are kind of necessary in something like this, especially if people are learning from their example, but I'm not saying it should be elitist requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
3. Applicants must have very little or no history of trouble making either on Graal or on the forums.
Forums are a way different deal to making trouble on Graal; nearly everyone on the forum has received infractions, but that's not to say they have received jails or bans or are an actual trouble maker. Something like this would exclude people like Dusty and Crono if they were ever interested, and that is two of the few remaining talented developers we have, two of the remaining talented developers that contribute already.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Seriously, you have ****-all for content and you're not exactly pulling in new developer talent, angling for prestigious titles should be your last concern.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 08-20-2009, 11:34 AM
Elk Elk is offline
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Deerland
Posts: 3,829
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk Send a message via Skype™ to Elk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell View Post
Do any of you have any suggestions as to what should be required to join the team itself? Please be as specific as possible.
1. Portfolio

2. Special organization skills as this is a very important aspect in development, many many graphics designers have little to no plan on what steps they are going, they just work towards a goal that is impossible to achieve with no correct direction.

And as far as Gold goes, I think that is not a big problem once the team is established, it would be more difficult if it was 20-30 developers in the team though.


Lol Rufus I remember the times where the global guilds had an application time and many people applied (R.I.P. GGT -_-...)

And people said that it would be slave labour...look...
What have we done the past 8 years? The same...
__________________
iEra IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iCla. IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iZone IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)




Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 08-20-2009, 06:42 PM
DarkCloud_PK DarkCloud_PK is offline
Registered User
DarkCloud_PK's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WISCONSIN
Posts: 994
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Let me get this straight.
You're going to entice developers to finally band together, work together, and contribute more, something that has proved an impossibility on a large scale for quite some time now, by throwing a non global RC global team at things and giving them the all fulfilling feeling of working together to do something meaningful?

Give me a break. There would only be one reason a person would join the damn team, and that is for a position of power, that doesn't really have all that much power, just some new team flair.

You're looking to entice talented devs, yet most talented devs wouldn't contribute to this at all, just nab a not so enticing global position and fade away(like the GST, which had more rights and authority that what is proposed here).

The fact is, developers that are talented enough, will only really focus on projects and tasks that interest or benefit them, because there is simply no drive to work on something you don't want to work on in this game. There is no incentive, monetary or otherwise to join this team, beyond being on an omg global team(with no power or authority, might I add).

The only way you'd form a team like this, is if there was a benefit to it.
Beyond the promise of global power, etc etc, there's little to no reason to do this unless you get a chubby from working as a team, and judging from the state of development as a whole on this game now, there isn't very many people that do.
__________________

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Elk Elk is offline
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Deerland
Posts: 3,829
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk Send a message via Skype™ to Elk
Bell already said that players arnt forced to work on something that is not interesting...I guess there will be conferences and so on for decisions what project to help and so on...
__________________
iEra IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iCla. IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iZone IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)




Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-20-2009, 07:26 PM
DarkCloud_PK DarkCloud_PK is offline
Registered User
DarkCloud_PK's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WISCONSIN
Posts: 994
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Bell already said that players arnt forced to work on something that is not interesting...I guess there will be conferences and so on for decisions what project to help and so on...
you can't force a decent developer to work on anything in the first place.
__________________

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-20-2009, 07:36 PM
Inverness Inverness is offline
Incubator
Inverness's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,613
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
Give me a break. There would only be one reason a person would join the damn team, and that is for a position of power, that doesn't really have all that much power, just some new team flair.
Your point is already invalidated by the simple fact that I have no need for something like a global RC and yet I would still join this team because I enjoy developing as I said before.

Your negativity is not helping in the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
You're looking to entice talented devs, yet most talented devs wouldn't contribute to this at all, just nab a not so enticing global position and fade away(like the GST, which had more rights and authority that what is proposed here).

The fact is, developers that are talented enough, will only really focus on projects and tasks that interest or benefit them, because there is simply no drive to work on something you don't want to work on in this game. There is no incentive, monetary or otherwise to join this team, beyond being on an omg global team(with no power or authority, might I add).

The only way you'd form a team like this, is if there was a benefit to it.
Beyond the promise of global power, etc etc, there's little to no reason to do this unless you get a chubby from working as a team, and judging from the state of development as a whole on this game now, there isn't very many people that do.
People like my develop because we enjoy it and are inspired by an idea of what we want to do. The top developers are currently scattered around Graal, and not all of them actively develop anymore like myself. An organized team would allow the members to more easily share their ideas and provide inspiration for themselves and other servers.

Again, I believe Stefan would need to contribute in his own way if this idea is to go anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
you can't force a decent developer to work on anything in the first place.
Elk obviously did not mean that as literally as you're taking it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 PM
DarkCloud_PK DarkCloud_PK is offline
Registered User
DarkCloud_PK's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WISCONSIN
Posts: 994
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Your point is already invalidated by the simple fact that I have no need for something like a global RC and yet I would still join this team because I enjoy developing as I said before.
Anyone can say that to shoe them in to head this thing, you even hinted that "global RC would be a nice perk". Even if your intention is pure, you're one person.
The trend in this thread amongst talented devs is that this would be an epic failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Your negativity is not helping in the least.
People like my develop because we enjoy it and are inspired by an idea of what we want to do. The top developers are currently scattered around Graal, and not all of them actively develop anymore like myself. An organized team would allow the members to more easily share their ideas and provide inspiration for themselves and other servers.

Again, I believe Stefan would need to contribute in his own way if this idea is to go anywhere.
Elk obviously did not mean that as literally as you're taking it.
They're scattered because the system in place now, for how development works, allows them to scatter themselves to work on projects that interest them, either by heading up their own server, or working for an existing one where they have significant say in what goes on(most scripters on servers have significantly bolstered RC and folder rights beyond what they need to do their job, and sometimes unneeded authority aswell).

Talented developers aren't scattered by chance, longing for finding each other and working as one cohesive group, its because they've become so rare and desired, that a lot of them have a huge ego, and egos don't work well in a group setting. So they scattered more and more throughout the years What will magically make them finally collaborate in a group to do something meaningful, without some drastic changes being made?
__________________

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Inverness Inverness is offline
Incubator
Inverness's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,613
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
Anyone can say that to shoe them in to head this thing, you even hinted that "global RC would be a nice perk". Even if your intention is pure, you're one person.
The trend in this thread amongst talented devs is that this would be an epic failure.
Well I don't know why those other talented devs work, but I know why I do so I can only speak for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
They're scattered because the system in place now, for how development works, allows them to scatter themselves to work on projects that interest them, either by heading up their own server, or working for an existing one where they have significant say in what goes on(most scripters on servers have significantly bolstered RC and folder rights beyond what they need to do their job, and sometimes unneeded authority aswell).
This is extremely true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloud_PK View Post
Talented developers aren't scattered by chance, longing for finding each other and working as one cohesive group, its because they've become so rare and desired, that a lot of them have a huge ego, and egos don't work well in a group setting. So they scattered more and more throughout the years, what will magically make them finally collaborate in a group to do something meaningful, without some drastic changes being made?
As I said, Stefan needs to do his part if anything is going to change.

And, note that Bell said the team members would still be able to work on their own projects where they wish. It would not require the team members to work in a group if they don't want to, but it would make it easier I believe.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-20-2009, 07:55 PM
DarkCloud_PK DarkCloud_PK is offline
Registered User
DarkCloud_PK's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: WISCONSIN
Posts: 994
DarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the roughDarkCloud_PK is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
And, note that Bell said the team members would still be able to work on their own projects where they wish. It would not require the team members to work in a group if they don't want to, but it would make it easier I believe.
What prevents them from working together, without a underpowered staff division, that is largely been getting negative feedback? You need to identify and knead out those issues before you can stick all the devs together and expect anything meaningful to come out of it.

See the GST, it had 3-4 extremely talented devs on it for months, and not a damn thing came out of it, what has changed now for the better? Nothing, things have gone downhill, not up.
__________________

~DC
2001-2002 - Classic FAQ Administrator/Special Operations Administrator
2005 - 2009 - GC Dev Admin
2009 - Classic Dev Admin Stint
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
global, global development team

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.