Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2011, 01:32 AM
kingcj will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to kingcj
Developers

For starters : I have been learrning to script on the Testbed server, and I appreciate the chance for being allowed to be on that server. Next I have used forums a couple of times to get help scripting when I have needed it. When I have used the forums I have gotten help within a decent amount of time. I guess that my curiousity has gotten the better of me and I have decided to place this thread. I know some or maybe most of the developers have a home server that they work for. I also understand that most of us have lives (myself included) and cannot work on Graal for major amounts of tme. What i don't understand is how developers don't develop for a purpose? They make random odd and in things, which are very complicated and really cool, but the things created wouldn't really contribute to a server or help an existing one along. It just seems odd to me that when servers ask for help, rarely any truely talented developers respond. This isn't in response to my thread in the for hire section becuase (as I put in that thread) I really didn't expect the idea to pass from forums to fruition.

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." - W. Edwards Deming
Old 01-16-2011, 01:36 AM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
hurt my eyes to read your text, try styling it up a bit?
meanwhile, im going to watch this.

since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 AM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
This is the main reason why I am the only developer for my server. I've noticed that other devs want to work on their own projects which may have nothing to do with my server and ones that do work on what I give them take many days to show any progress or work. I have just been believing developers are too loose in their thoughts and organization to work on a single project.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Here are some common reasons developers don't work on servers:
  • They are already working on a project in Graal, so they can't pick up anything else major.
  • They don't care about Graal enough to dedicate their time to it.
  • They don't like Graal at all.

Making a fun little script or helping on the forums is miles and miles away from the amount of work it takes to get anything done on a server. Most people realize that, so they generally don't even bother making commitments and failing to meet them.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
Here are some common reasons developers don't work on servers:
  • They are already working on a project in Graal, so they can't pick up anything else major.
  • They don't care about Graal enough to dedicate their time to it.
  • They don't like Graal at all.

Making a fun little script or helping on the forums is miles and miles away from the amount of work it takes to get anything done on a server. Most people realize that, so they generally don't even bother making commitments and failing to meet them.
/thread

Learning development for most if not all players also breaks down some of the joy and mystery of the game so what do you have left? It can even amplify their enjoyment for the game knowing they can create but the first is more likely than the latter.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:08 AM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Maybe I'll go back to developing when someone integrates playerworlds into github and there is actually reference documentation so I do not have to ****ing guess what javascript feature/API are being badly imitated every other line
Old 01-16-2011, 04:22 AM
Jazz teh Awesome
oo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the roughoo_jazz_oo is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to oo_jazz_oo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriel View Post
Maybe I'll go back to developing when someone integrates playerworlds into github and there is actually reference documentation so I do not have to ****ing guess what javascript feature/API are being badly imitated every other line
You must be mistaken...there is documentation! Why, sometimes Stefan posts about features no one has ever heard of...theres a wiki full of documentation thats been jumbled into hundreds of pages without descriptions of what anything does....

You just have to spend a few hours hopelessly searching for what your looking for.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:36 AM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
Unfortunately, the few people i've seen who are amazingly dedicated, aren't amazingly talented.

The talented one's are.. well what WhiteDragon said.

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 01-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
tbh personally it's because I'm just bitter about the way that Graal is being handled from the top down.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Graal is a hobby. Servers tend to turn it into a chore.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 AM
GFX
DemonSpawnn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Graal is a hobby. Servers tend to turn it into a chore.
Only to those uninspired.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonSpawnn View Post
Only to those uninspired.
If you are just working for someone else, you're rarely "inspired." The people who tend to be inspired are the ones heading the servers. Even if you're inspired, your that doesn't last forever, rarely long enough to finish a project... then commitment issues arise.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:49 AM
the KattMan
MattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to beholdMattKan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattKan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
If you are just working for someone else, you're rarely "inspired." The people who tend to be inspired are the ones heading the servers. Even if you're inspired, your that doesn't last forever, rarely long enough to finish a project... then commitment issues arise.
If there was money involved, people would be more commited.

But since there isn't money involved, people aren't commited.

So those who can say money is involved should be making the big servers, not the players. (except players doesn't really count as an applicable term since all the "players" who make Graal aren't quite "players")

And I may be something of a noob, but if I think this, I can imagine those who have played Graal for a long time and have developed Graal over the years think 500x more strongly than I do. Which isn't good.
On the other hand, free-to-play games, if unbalanced, could result in some consumers paying extremely large amounts of money, and we can certainly not expect to build a good relationship with our consumers in this fashion. In order to have a favorable long-term relationship, we would like to offer free-to-play games that are balanced and reasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unximad
Eurocenter Games remains attached to the values of indies game developer and to the service our playerbase community.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:45 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Money... Inspiration... Bull****.

Throughout the years I've only developed on servers I've had amazing fun to play on (excluding my own projects and Zodiac, which I was simply asked by a friend to help with), so it felt natural for me to want to help develop the server further. I've never needed any other reason than that.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 01-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKan View Post
If there was money involved, people would be more commited.

But since there isn't money involved, people aren't commited.
Lots of people write code for lots of non-graal-related projects without getting paid, though.

But I do kind of miss having a free lifetime subscription. I wonder whether that means I am dead to Graal now.