Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Shading advice

I've been playing around with graphics lately, recolouring images and adding to some, but I'd like to take it to the next level. I'm interested in getting to a stage where I'm comfortable with creating simple graphics that look good. Obviously, there has to be some sort of starting point. I've managed to create a decent looking (in my opinion) hat shape using the hat template provided in one of Bell's threads. I'm happy with it so far, and was playing around with adding shading. I'm pretty hopeless with it haha. Does anybody have any advice to give me about how I should go about adding shading to this image?
Attached Images

Last edited by Emera; 03-07-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Adjusted image.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:04 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't done any pixels for quite a while now, but maybe this can give you a general idea.

Name:  hat.png
Views: 775
Size:  458 Bytes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
Haven't done any pixels for quite a while now, but maybe this can give you a general idea.

Attachment 54324
That's really nice :O Well done! I'll look at that and try to figure something out. Thank you!
-
Had a play around with what you had going there, and I've come out with this.
Attached Images

Last edited by Emera; 03-07-2012 at 07:25 PM..
Old 03-07-2012, 11:29 PM
iphone era sad litle mads
Felix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to beholdFelix_Xenophobe is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Felix_Xenophobe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
That's really nice :O Well done! I'll look at that and try to figure something out. Thank you!
-
needs more contrast
Originally Posted by Tashkin
I have done 10x the amount any previous EA has done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblade1979 View Post
What you need is Zone Police again.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Ignorance has no future
Unkownsoldier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix_Xenophobe View Post
needs more contrast
agreed, if you notice crow's hat has more definition, if you didn't tell me what yours was it could be confused with a metal cylinder.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emera View Post
-
Try something similar, but with hues slightly shifting over to blue like in Crow's example.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 03-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geneticfrog View Post
My advice is keep practicing with all kinds of shapes and light sources. shadding is basically common sence and you must be able to imagine what the light hitting specific shapes and textures will do.

here is the best tutorial ive read and the one that really started me off pixeling. i also recommend this to everyone that asks for help in the past.

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html

note: if you scroll down and push back there are also tips for Lineart
Colours and RGB Values
Softening outlines
Anti-Aliasing

this site helped me,hopefully it helps you.
Thank you for the link. That helped out a lot! I'm playing around with shading simple shapes to start off with until I get a little more comfortable with shading.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:04 PM
geneticfrog can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to geneticfrog Send a message via MSN to geneticfrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post

Attachment 54324
you have a grasp on the concept of shading but no so much with a set light source like graals. Your shading is not wrong but its considered pillow shading. (the devil)

the only problem here is if we look at the hat and try to find its light source. it is what we call "pillow shading" beacause the only way you can get light bright in the front of the hat but dark on the top is if you have a flashlight. or some kind of torche right between you and the hat.

If we use graals general light source its the sun at 45 degrees infront of the player in the sky.

all this to say that the TOP of the top hat needs to be lit up and the rim of the top hat. you have to be able to picture this concept in your mind.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM
lavaman is on a distinguished road
I recommend playing around with what I was told was called "Dithering".

I'm not sure if that's really what it is called so I made/uploaded a Sword of Dither and a Sword of not so Dither to show what I'm talking about.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2012, 12:27 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
you have a grasp on the concept of shading but no so much with a set light source like graals. Your shading is not wrong but its considered pillow shading. (the devil)
I'm now aware that you don't seem to know anything about what you're trying to actually talk about. Thanks for the insight, I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
I recommend playing around with what I was told was called "Dithering".
Dithering also adds texture and should therefore not be used on materials that are not rough. Also, in the past, it was primarily used because of hardware limitations that did not allow a lot of colors. The artists created the illusion of more colors by dithering.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:

the only problem here is if we look at the hat and try to find its light source. it is what we call "pillow shading" beacause the only way you can get light bright in the front of the hat but dark on the top is if you have a flashlight. or some kind of torche right between you and the hat.

If we use graals general light source its the sun at 45 degrees infront of the player in the sky.

all this to say that the TOP of the top hat needs to be lit up and the rim of the top hat. you have to be able to picture this concept in your mind.
There's nothing wrong with his shading. Pillow shading is when you let the outline dictate your shading, not that the lightsource is from the front(just that a lightsource from the front rarely looks good anyways, and with certain shapes CAN create pillowshading). However while his lightsouce is somewhat from the front(though off to the side a bit) it doesn't hurt the piece here.

This would be pillowshading:

While I'm here I guess I'll post what I posted on the other forums:
Quote:
First thing you can probably do to help this a lot is to work on the outline and form. For example since you're working with a small size it's probably best not to use lines to portray volume(such as the hem of the hat) and instead use lighting. A sharp jump from light to dark will imply a corner or edge.

Second, don't use pure greys unless you know what you're doing. A grey with a very light touch of hue looks much more pleasing to the eye. Typically when you're working with darks a hint of purple suits this well. In this instance blue could probably work, too.

After you work on those two things you can start shading. Try to avoid typical gradients. Get a little creative with it. For example typically shiny stuff(like a nice, shiny expensive tophat) could use "streaks" of highlights to make things a little more interesting. Also don't be afraid to play with these things a bit. For example instead of making the highlight go straight down you can make it taper off and disappear. This implies a conic shape to the hat and works with its shape to make it look more interesting than a very stiff hat, even if the lines still imply its edges are straight.

Don't be afraid to break away from the norm or logic to get creative, especially since it's for Graal that implements a cartoony style. You can often break off and do things that wouldn't make sense logically and it still looks nice and fits.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 AM
it was acutally a good example of pillow shading but this guy dusti always has something negetive to say no matter what you post apparantly.

just beacause the pillow shading wasnt applied EXACTLY HOW DUSTI SAIS to all surfaces doesnt mean its not pillow shaded on some surfaces that it was applied to...... -_-
Old 03-11-2012, 01:02 AM
◕ ◡ ◕
Bam112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
it was acutally a perfect example of pillow shading but this guy dusti always has something to say no matter what you post.

just beacause the pillow shading wasnt applied to all surfaces doesnt mean its not pillow shading.....
Dusty*
Old 03-11-2012, 01:05 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
just beacause the pillow shading wasnt applied EXACTLY HOW DUSTI SAIS to all surfaces doesnt mean its not pillow shaded on some surfaces..... -_-
Pillow shading can be compared to radial gradients. I didn't do that on any surfaces.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 AM
"'pillow shading', a great evil spoken of by pixel artists in hushed tones. It is the work of the devil, and appears to assume a single point light source hanging directly between us and our object. "

since there was no brightness ontop of the hat you showed us. yet it was bright infront of the hat. i can only assume the light source was applied as a pillowshading light source.