Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned
_Z3phyr_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Another question out of curiosity...

Out of all the time that I have been scripting and helping people with developing stuff on my own time, I've always been curious to know...

Could working in GraalOnline translate to any kind of job experience when it comes to customer service/support in the form or public relations (FAQ?), being a mediator between disputes (GP?), scripting/coding (NAT?), graphic designing (GAT?), Management (Manager/Admin?), Game Development (Dev's?), Virtual World creation (LAT?) and so forth? I realize that "GraalOnline FAQ Chief" isn't something you'd be proud to stick on a resume when applying for a public relations position at a company and you couldn't really put a reference down ( that's not what I'm talking about, though) or whatever, but wouldn't it be fair to say that you really do get experience in game development, working with others, managing work, settling disputes, communicating to the "masses", and so forth?

GScript was the very first scripting language I was ever interested in doing (and I'm sure its the same for lots of people here) and got me interested in other stuff like Web Development and Design. Could GraalOnline staff/dev work be something that could reflect experience in a field, since it's a player-run game for the most part?

Last edited by _Z3phyr_; 06-24-2006 at 02:29 AM..
Old 06-23-2006, 10:33 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
I think it should. I've been in business courses where they've talked about stuff I had already learned from managing my own server.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Of all the bizzare things I've ever learned, it's that you can put nearly anything on a resume, if it looks good on paper. Lance was talking about doing that in the future for all of his stuff. Years of volunteer experience is defeintely worth noting, I think. ;]
Old 06-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Zxion is on a distinguished road
When writing a letter to apply for my major in video game design I put down that I had experience in programming with GScript. I gave a brief explaination of what Graal Online was and how the language was similar to others. I'm sure it helped seeing as it is a form of game development, so I say go for it. Just make it professional.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:19 AM
TONYMONTANA
BruceLee2000 is on a distinguished road
should i put how many kills, deaths, and onlinetime i have?!

much thanks to XDaKreepX for the sig
Old 06-24-2006, 02:12 AM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceLee2000
should i put how many kills, deaths, and onlinetime i have?!
I'm sure that would fly well at the nursing home.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:14 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for not listing LAT's under there.

Old 06-24-2006, 02:33 AM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Pfft, anyone can be an lat
*jk*
Now, playerworld owner.... =P
Old 06-24-2006, 02:50 AM
Registered Punmaster
Sulukra is on a distinguished road
One kid I know got high school credit for working on a Dev server.

Seriously.
Cor:Yeah.
-Twenty questions later-
Cor:Alright, so we all fail. What was it?
Sulukra:My handheld 20 questions game.
Cor:Curse you, you Canadian fiend.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:13 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I got hours for "service", kind of like community service, for making levels on babylon.

(thanks malinko)
Old 06-24-2006, 07:33 AM
Okiesmokie
ApothiX is on a distinguished road
If you were going to use that on a resume, you wouldn't say "NAT Admin on xxx Server", you'd say something like: "Lead Scripter for an MMORPG" or some crap like that.

[06:24:19] * Parts: Skyld (i=silent@unaffiliated/skyld) ("Perhaps Okiesmokie did not realise that I like the boys. ")
Old 06-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Scriptess
calani is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to calani
Think about it: you work on a game as a manager, and are able to keep your staff of young teens focused on working on helping create the game instead of playing said game. That's an accomplishment right there.
Also, moderating conflicts between staff isn't always the easiest thing (I know I've had enough trouble with that...) and is definitely noteworthy.

While I don't think working on graal could be seen as community service, it is most definitely worthy of being called experience in whatever form, be it management, programming, graphics, sounds, 'virtual world creation,' etc.

I used the management experience I gained from working on Babylon in an interview for a position as team sales leader ( i can't remember the exact title ) for Vector Marketing several years back. got the position too
Old 06-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Zxion is on a distinguished road
Oh, and incase anybody was wondering, I was accepted into the major.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:06 AM
haunter is on a distinguished road
It's a start. This along with my brief work at Collideascope is the only experience I have in the video game industry. If I'm going to apply to a job I'm going to need all the help I can get on my resume.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:19 AM
Magnificent Bastard
You don't even have to list off just what the job is. Something to put on a resume would be stuff like:

Employment History
Linux Cyberjoueurs, Level Administration Team Member, (Your City)
(Start Date) - (End Date)
Duties Performed: Working with others to create original server content, fixing all errors contained in server files, assisting other team members, management of server directories, merging additional content and scripting into server files.

Just a rough example.