Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 PM
alcatis is on a distinguished road
Rate/C&C/Help

Yeah, I've made a new level. I went on to Graal Legacy (Used to be a LAT there, almost got promoted to LAT Admin, but I went inactive for unknown reasons. School I guess.) and looked at some of the levels I made for them to get my memory back on how I used to make my levels. This is how it turned out, this is the old OSL that I made for Deathborn.

I dunno about the walls, they look too repetitive. I'm not good with walls :P Also cut down on the windows. Not good with floors either, but I like that floorstyle. Anyway, bash away!

Would be awesome if you could leave some tips on how to improve, I already know it looks repetitive but it's playable. It looked better with the light effect I had on it, but the screenshot didn't catch it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ISANEWLEVEL.png
Views:	202
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	45647  
Old 08-21-2008, 10:53 PM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcatis View Post
Yeah, I've made a new level. I went on to Graal Legacy (Used to be a LAT there, almost got promoted to LAT Admin, but I went inactive for unknown reasons. School I guess.) and looked at some of the levels I made for them to get my memory back on how I used to make my levels. This is how it turned out, this is the old OSL that I made for Deathborn.

I dunno about the walls, they look too repetitive. I'm not good with walls :P Also cut down on the windows. Not good with floors either, but I like that floorstyle. Anyway, bash away!

Would be awesome if you could leave some tips on how to improve, I already know it looks repetitive but it's playable. It looked better with the light effect I had on it, but the screenshot didn't catch it.
Sorry but I strongly dislike inside levels that are really random. In my opinion, being repetitive is a good thing when designing indoor levels. Keep things really simple
Old 08-22-2008, 12:02 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I like the walls to some extent, the level overall is too plain though. It doesn't really have anything. The floor is ok at best, keep it up though. Practice can only make you better. :]
Old 08-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks guys , and yeah. I'm not that good at detailing indoor levels xD They end up with too much space/lack of stuff to do. I will keep adding to this level and update. I wont be on until sunday night now though, work work.. -_-
Old 08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
a/s/l
Elizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud ofElizabeth has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Elizabeth
very nice, love the floor pattern (:
Old 08-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Thank you I also noticed I missed to make the lower part of the table to the far left, hah. That table has no legs.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 AM
farte6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Thank you I also noticed I missed to make the lower part of the table to the far left, hah. That table has no legs.
I was about to point that out, its a ok inside level. Enough proof to me that you could be quite a good classic level designer if you keep working at it.

I think I only made 2 or 3 inside levels in my time that I ever liked personally.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:44 AM
Oinkness will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Oinkness Send a message via MSN to Oinkness Send a message via Yahoo to Oinkness
The design of this building is completely illogical. The actual room design is fine, but when have you ever seen a building with this kind of shape? Not even the architecture from the Victorian era had such ridiculous blueprints. I would say you don't need to work on your tiling... You need to scale back your tiling, big time.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Hired/Fired
CharlieM will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CharlieM Send a message via MSN to CharlieM
I think its a nice level, looks like some floor tile error in one or two spots, might just be me though the pattern confuses me abit, and on the lower part were you have barrels in the window parts, I would change those to just the window frames in my opinion.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Actually, I lied o.O I wont update this because I don't know what to add. What I've done so far though is fix the floor, found a few tile errors there. As well as the table and a tile error in one of the walls.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Collige, virgo, rosas
RosesLove will become famous soon enough
Hm, I actually like it.

It's mainly just the "illogical" level style that I like though, I get kind of lost when it comes to the floors and objects you chose to put in the level. Even if for some reason you needed 4 tables, you could have done it a little more creatively, like say make half of a table against the wall, cut off. Put something on one of the tables, I don't know.. It just looks a little boring to me how it is now. And you forgot to put a bottom on one of those tables there.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Well, like I said. It's an OSL I made for Deathborn, can't really put anything in an OSL, most servers fill them with toys/npc's but that's the NAT's job and not mine :P

Yeah, I agree on the table part, could've been a bit more creative there I guess. I usually do it that way. The bottom part of the table has already been pointed out and taken care of
Old 08-25-2008, 09:50 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by farte6 View Post
Enough proof to me that you could be quite a good classic level designer if you keep working at it.
Explain to me how this level is 'classic'.

Quote:
Well, like I said. It's an OSL I made for Deathborn, can't really put anything in an OSL, most servers fill them with toys/npc's but that's the NAT's job and not mine :P
You're going to have to make a larger, more appealing OSL. That is a small level. Imagine 20 players running around inside, they'd be so overwhelmed.