Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Level Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Delterian Hybrid
Emera is a jewel in the roughEmera is a jewel in the rough
Classic Gmap Project

I'm going to be working on a small-ish gmap project using the original Graal tile set to kill off some time. Might as well share what I'm doing here. Suggestions and constructive criticisms are welcome. I don't have a specific plan on what exactly I want to do, so I'm going just to add items to the map as I see fit. Since the updates made to Graal's file cache in V6, NW2PNG is unable to render the images used in the levels so you'll only be able to see the tiles (sorry)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	in636c.png
Views:	336
Size:	547.6 KB
ID:	55359  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:52 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Um try to develop some sort of style.. this looks kind of loose, and like you are ignoring some functions of the tileset.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:45 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
The only thing 'classic' about this map is the tileset. It sort of looks like you tried to combine classic tiling with post 2K1 tiling. It never works.

My first suggestion would be to clean up the paths. Classic leveling used those tiles to create straight, clean, uniform paths (and the towns were normally that way as well). When done correctly it looks very sharp.

You should probably stick with the predefined houses and make minimal changes to make each house unique.

I assume the cliffing was generated, won't hit on the problems as you can probably find them.

I suggest looking at WanDaMan's portfolio for examples of classic work.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM
G2k1
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Going the 2K1 route of using a generated map and the classic/2k1 style implementation of incorrectly-used tile constructions could be totally awesome -- if you were about 20 times better at it. If you're going to do things wrong at least they had better look pretty damn cool.