Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How should levels be linked?
Option 1 4 13.33%
Option 2 26 86.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
Small GMAPs is a nice idea, I really have quite a lot of places that could be linked together and making GMAPs isn't that hard after all, and my subfolders can hold such things.

Now, a question pop'd in my mind: Is there any issue with having multiple gmaps? I've looked at my map, and for the whole server that would be about 20 of them, for all islands . Anything wrong unknown to my knowledge with having that much GMAPs?
Old 09-07-2010, 01:09 PM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
Now, a question pop'd in my mind: Is there any issue with having multiple gmaps? I've looked at my map, and for the whole server that would be about 20 of them, for all islands . Anything wrong unknown to my knowledge with having that much GMAPs?
Kingdoms Debug has 89 gmaps and around 90% of them are used on Graal Kingdoms so it shouldn't be a problem having over 20.

Last edited by cyan3; 09-07-2010 at 03:43 PM..
Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Ideas on Fire
Here's another solution, taking the example of levels grouped in gmaps, some of them would still have blackness on sides since some roads are like 1x2 or 1x3.
Thing would be to make them eventualy bigger and show replicas of levels that are supposed to be aside, but still make the players have a little transition when they warp onto the real level that is on a gmap itself.

What about it? Would you mind seeing a level when you come next to it and have a transition to be really there, or not?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:02 PM
http://wiki.graal.us/
adam has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to adam
Depends on the transition, I guess I need to see it. I like the idea of having lot's of smaller gmaps. The whole massive continuous squareish overworld has been overdone ever since connecting levels like that has been possible.

For development help, contact the patrons of the #graaldt irc channel below, I am usually there.
Click Here to Join IRC Chat Now! -- irc.freenode.net Channel: #graaldt
Quote:
<Dustyshouri> no, RogueShadow is always talking about scripts lol
<Dustyshouri> in fact, he pretty much brought Graal back as a topic single-handedly
Old 09-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Cyril Rain
sssssssssss will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soala View Post
Here's another solution, taking the example of levels grouped in gmaps, some of them would still have blackness on sides since some roads are like 1x2 or 1x3.
Thing would be to make them eventualy bigger and show replicas of levels that are supposed to be aside, but still make the players have a little transition when they warp onto the real level that is on a gmap itself.

What about it? Would you mind seeing a level when you come next to it and have a transition to be really there, or not?
Not. On Armageddon it happened as a bug, and was really annoying imo.
Elysium's Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/GraalOnlineElysium
Graal Forum Thread: http://forums.graalonline.com...
Graalians Thread: http://www.graalians.com...

Old 09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Ideas on Fire
Found a workaround for the first island, no levels will be useless and there will be no annoying transitions just to reach a point you can see before getting really there.
I've also extended the cemetery and made it a gmap, which will give more levels for players to kill stuff at, and also allows me to finaly make that cemetery entrance, opening only at night
Old 09-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva

You have two gmaps. Gmap 1(area 1) and gmap 2(area 2). However, attached to each of the edges of the gmaps is an identical area of the nearby gmap. When the player touches the link it warps them to the next gmap where they were positioned in the old level and pushes them into the gmap. Otherwise these intermediary levels can not be entered and are just for transitional show. If you want I could possibly put something together possibly to show it in action.

It ends up being more work than just cropping stuff into areas, but if you desire the "Zelda effect" this is probably your best route.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Ideas on Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post

You have two gmaps. Gmap 1(area 1) and gmap 2(area 2). However, attached to each of the edges of the gmaps is an identical area of the nearby gmap. When the player touches the link it warps them to the next gmap where they were positioned in the old level and pushes them into the gmap. Otherwise these intermediary levels can not be entered and are just for transitional show. If you want I could possibly put something together possibly to show it in action.

It ends up being more work than just cropping stuff into areas, but if you desire the "Zelda effect" this is probably your best route.
I'm open to such propositions, you can come and show me what you mean on Ruins whenever you have time.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
seems like that could be a bit bizarre for handling other players/NPCs
Old 09-07-2010, 08:54 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
seems like that could be a bit bizarre for handling other players/NPCs
Could easily be handled by making a copy of all the players/npcs into showimgs and hiding them once the transition is finished.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Kevin Azite
Mark Sir Link is just really niceMark Sir Link is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Mark Sir Link
seems even more yuck

if I were to try to copy the odd dimensions of Link to the Past's overworld, I would do something like show images based on the level you're in to make it unlikely you'll see past the images to the next level - IE, where the lost woods are, just have tree top images extend over where they would be if viewed from a kakariko village level
Old 09-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Sir Link View Post
seems even more yuck

if I were to try to copy the odd dimensions of Link to the Past's overworld, I would do something like show images based on the level you're in to make it unlikely you'll see past the images to the next level - IE, where the lost woods are, just have tree top images extend over where they would be if viewed from a kakariko village level
With my idea in mind it would probably be identical to how transitions occurred in LttP. I can't think of another way to scroll between gmaps.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
With my idea in mind it would probably be identical to how transitions occurred in LttP. I can't think of another way to scroll between gmaps.
Take a printscreen of the current level before leaving it, and display it on the new level while moving it off screen.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Atrius Manager
TheJames can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Take a printscreen of the current level before leaving it, and display it on the new level while moving it off screen.
Badass idea.

Soala: On this I was a little confused.. If anything make it so it shows the fading effect when entering inside levels, or when you walk into different rooms of those inside levels. Don't do it for the gmap, just the inside levels.

James,
Manager of Atrius
Old 09-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Two problems... the only way you can take a screenshot would be with the screenshot function. How would you get rid of the player himself? Also, showimg + large image = fail when it comes to clipping.