Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 AM
UN Manager
SwimChao is just really niceSwimChao is just really nice
Send a message via Skype™ to SwimChao
Rough draft: Skinning your RC

This is the rough draft of a walk through article I'd like to eventually submit to the Graal wiki. It's sort of basic right now, I tried to keep it that way. Please give me some feedback!

->
The "skin" of the RC (as we'll refer to it as), consists of the images that are put together to make up the window's appearance. It's possible for you, the developer (or server staff), to edit your RC's skin to something more personal. If graphics are your cup of tea, this article is for you.

First off you need to understand that you will not find the images anywhere in your Graal folder. These images are programmed directly into the RC application, and thus are untouchable in that aspect. However, you can go about creating your own images and replacing the old ones in a few easy steps.

Second off, locate "control2config.txt" in your Graal folder. This is where all of the information for your Remote Control application's appearance (and the like) are kept. Please open it, and just brush through it. Most of the variables should make sense right away, they're pretty self explanatory (ie:nohtmlinpms=... /no html codes in PMs).

Since you're only editing the skin, or the images of the window, scroll down in the text file. You're going to start notice some image names and hex color codes. These are the things you're going to be editing. As a side note, notice that the majority of these images are two different states for the same thing (buttons (up&down)). Use the templates below to size your images accordingly, and get to editing.

{Template pending... didn't upload all the images}
{List links to uploaded images.. can these files be put for download on the wiki? I have all the images sitting in a folder waiting (thanks to dusty). All of the basic RC images can be put for download here.}

Once you've made all of your graphics, you're going to go back into the "control2config.txt". Scroll back down to the bottom, and let's get editing. You can go about this one of two ways: You can place your images directly in your graal folder, or you can make a seperate "newrc" folder (or something like that).

Start placing the appropriate image names in their corresponding places (if you made a seperate folder ex: background=/newrc/rc_graalonline2.PNG =means-> /folder/image). If you placed your images directly in the Graal folder, you don't have to worry about any forward slashes and can get directly to editing by placing the names of your images in the old image places. Once you've placed your images in the correct spot, you can move onto the palette for your colors. This is probably the most tedious portion.

The palette for your colors is all based on what hex color codes you put in. Personally, I'd go for something that matches your background image. Here is a descriptive list of what each variable is:

coloredit:
The color of the font that you see when you type in the "chat box" (or 'edit' output)

coloreditback:
The background color for the edit input. (or chat box)

colorchat:
The color of non-bolded text in the main chat portion of your RC, also known as the output. (Where you see what other staff members type, or when a script is updated, etc.)

colorchatback:
This is the background color for the output/main portion of the RC.

colorchatbold:
This is the color of bolded text used in the output/main portion of RC. It's used when people log in, for example.

colorlabel:
This is the color that the text placed over your "background" image is defined with. (Name of the server, number of players, etc.)

colorlabelback=
This color is used in the event there is no background image. This portion of a "skin" is known as a "label".

(These terms are applicable to most communication/tool application skins)
(Will include outside resources to things like a hex color code chart.. etc.)

DISREGARD THE ARROW I ACCIDENTALLY LEFT IN THE RC WINDOW....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grdia.PNG
Views:	420
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	49363  
Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 AM
cyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant futurecyan3 has a brilliant future
Great work I'd be more than happy to move this guide to the graal bible as well if needed.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 AM
UN Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan3 View Post
Great work I'd be more than happy to move this guide to the graal bible as well if needed.
After some more feedback, I'll fine tune it, clean it up, and send it to you via PM or email of some sort to get it put somewhere.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
You might want to include the default size for the background image(not that which is provided), but the size of the background when RC is started, so people can get clean backgrounds without distortion.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 AM
UN Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
You might want to include the default size for the background image(not that which is provided), but the size of the background when RC is started, so people can get clean backgrounds without distortion.
I was just sorting all that out for the final product. Someone had also just asked me what it was on UN's RC as well. :P
Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 AM
Rogue LAT
warriors94 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to warriors94 Send a message via MSN to warriors94 Send a message via Skype™ to warriors94
Thanks for this Streety! I really loved this idea and was happy to make my RC more pretty!
Edit:If I can do it, anyone can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ThanksStreety!.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	49364  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:24 AM
UN Manager
Glad to help. I'm assuming there was nothing you didn't understand (other than the PMs).

Side note: Aeko's buttons are taking off.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:41 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Clockwork
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimChao View Post
Side note: Aeko's buttons are taking off.
XD

I'll have to make me new ones later to continue being different! x3

Very nice guide :3 +rep~
Old 09-17-2009, 06:12 AM
UN Manager
PS: The intentions of posting this was to get some feedback. So please, negative or positive.. Give some if you read through it!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:28 AM
|MÍrÁy|
LordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to allLordSquirt is a name known to all
I read it over and while reading it I tried it out myself.

I understood everything you said and in the end it came out fine

Good guide.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:03 AM
ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ...ᶘ ಠᴥಠᶅ❤...ℳℴℯ
Clockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant futureClockwork has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to Clockwork

finished my new one :3
they even have an animation when you click them

Something to add to your guide if you'd like is:

labelservers=~
labelplayers=~

These both change the words before the server name and the amount of players. in the case of my rc, you will see ~ to keep my rc sorta clean, but if you check other rc's posted here, you'll see server and players.

Last edited by Clockwork; 09-17-2009 at 08:13 AM..
Old 09-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Zvarri!
benpoke103 will become famous soon enough
I still remember when people were using resource hacking methods, then Stefan released skinning capabilities right after. Awesome that people are using their creativity for it.

Forum PM (Preferred)
#graaldt @ Freenode
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
I was just thinking of this :P
Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Vima is an unknown quantity at this point
Good job Streety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post

finished my new one :3

Something to add to your guide if you'd like is:

labelservers=~
labelplayers=~

These both change the words before the server name and the amount of players. in the case of my rc, you will see ~ to keep my rc sorta clean, but if you check other rc's posted here, you'll see server and players.
ooo, cute! LOVE the icons.
Can't you share your RC?
Sharing is caring<3
Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 PM
not doing alot
Liberated has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vima View Post
Good job Streety!

ooo, cute! LOVE the icons.
Can't you share your RC?
Sharing is caring<3
he already shared his previous one, i think he made this one to remain original, as everyone used his previous one.