Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2006, 02:15 AM
Canadian
Nitro2030ce is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nitro2030ce Send a message via MSN to Nitro2030ce
I have made a .manifest file for graal, it works perfectly for me, if any one wants to try it pm me your email and i'll send you the files and instructions.
EDIT: I have also made one for Rc2 that fixes the error when you directly open a file from the file browser.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:41 AM
BlueSamurai is on a distinguished road
i deleted windows defender (i never used it) and now it works
Old 08-06-2006, 02:26 PM
DragonDemolisher is on a distinguished road
If Windows Defender is not located on my add/remove programs list, does that mean it is already gone/uninstalled?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:28 AM
bumbo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to bumbo Send a message via AIM to bumbo Send a message via MSN to bumbo
OK, sorry to bump an old topic but I thought everyone should know that downloading and copying this file is not the appropriate solution to the problem....I have been searching around the internet and have found several posts from Martyn Lovell, some C++ Architect at Mickey$oft, this is not the appropriate solution, as it will do nothing but cause catistrophic consequences in the future. Stefan, I suggest you contact this chap and see if the two of you can work out some sort of a solution to this issue, it will most likely require the redesign of the Graal system libraries and whatnot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by From the MSDN Forums, re:Norton Windoctor having the same issues as graal is apparently having

Hello everyone,

My name's Martyn Lovell, and I'm the development lead of the team that produces msvcr80.dll [The Visual C++ Libraries team]. There are a couple of things I'd like to clarify.

First, Norton WinDoctor is wrong. It incorrectly reports that msvcr80 is missing when in fact it is correctly installed in the WinSxS directly in the windows. folder. If you own WinDoctor, you should report this bug to Symantec so that they get it fixed.

Do NOT copy the this file to any of the folders WinDoctor recommends.

If you've already attempted to take corrective action for this issue (by copying msvcr80.dll or msvcr80d.dll to ...\system32 or to the .NET Framework directory), please undo this. These files do not need to be copied around, and doing so may cause problems in future.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have more questions, as I don't read this forum regularly.

Martyn Lovell
Development Lead
Visual C++ Libraries
[email protected]
So as you can see, copying this file is not the appropriate solution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by More from Martyn re:Windoctor
I wanted to add one more comment on this thread, based on the subsequent discussion.

Creating a blank file in system32 with the name msvcr80.dll is also NOT the correct solution to this problem or a safe thing to do. If you've created a blank file, I strongly recommend deleting it.

The correct thing to do about this problem is NOTHING. Norton have been contacted, and will eventually fix their tool, but in the mean time, taking "corrective" action here is only risking causing problems later.

if you search around the net you can find several threads like this one with "solutions" to this problem that stop Norton reporting this error. None of them are a good idea. You should un-do them if you have done them.

Martyn Lovell
Development Lead
Visual C++ Libraries
Apparently this issue has been around since December of 2005, but this is the MSDN forum posting where I found the advice:
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...61926&SiteID=1
Old 09-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
We will try to investigate the problem more next week, we will try to setup an XP installation where the problem with Windows Defender can be reproduced.

Eventually it could also help to contact that Microsoft guy, they don't seem to have a clue about that problem though. You can use any tool for checking what dlls Graal is linked to, and see that it only links to dlls that exist on any machine. The problem is that some dlls providing base functionality of the system (file dialog?) have been replaced by new dlls which require Visual C runtime libraries which cannot be found in the default dll search path.
Eventually those default dlls aren't actually replaced, but a wrong side-by-side version of it has been made the default version if a program doesn't contain any manifest.

Last edited by Admins; 09-08-2006 at 10:09 PM..
Old 10-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Hmmm Windows Defender Final is released, wondering if they have fixed the bugs.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Banned
KuJi will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to KuJi Send a message via AIM to KuJi Send a message via MSN to KuJi Send a message via Yahoo to KuJi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Hmmm Windows Defender Final is released, wondering if they have fixed the bugs.
holy.. loong week haha, check the forums?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Gunslinger
Zulithe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Zulithe Send a message via Yahoo to Zulithe
Hello,

This is NOT limited to Windows Defender. I have never used it on my PC and do not intend to. However, I do use Microsoft Office (I can not uninstall it, it is required for the work that I do), I can no longer install Graal after installing Microsoft Office 2007 (final, not beta)

I put the msvcr80.dll into my windows sytem32 folder (there was not one there) now I get this error:

If i remove the msvcr80.dll from my system directory it then complains that it can't find the dll

So I can't even install Graal.

This is a very important issue, if people can't install your software you are going to have difficulty getting subscribers.

Last edited by Zulithe; 12-06-2006 at 01:33 AM.. Reason: added more info
Old 12-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Ugh, can we simply have all the DLLs used by Graal provided with the game?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Graal Administration
How can you have the final Office 2007 on your game computer, right now only the enterprise edition is released? It seems your Office version messed up the windows dlls, similar to the Windows Defender problem some months ago, not sure how you can fix your system easily. The problem seems to be quite common with Office 2007 Beta 2. When exactly do you get the error, it seems the window displayed correctly?

Inverness: Graal is not using that dll

Last edited by Admins; 12-11-2006 at 02:09 AM..
Old 12-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Incubator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Inverness: Graal is not using that dll
Um, then why does the game have error message when you don't have the DLL?
Maybe ours is just wrong version or something? Then why not provide correct one.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Graal Administration
Please read the previous posts. Some program is replacing the windows dlls which then are not linked correctly anymore.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Paranoid Android
zwr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to zwr Send a message via MSN to zwr
I also had the same problem on vista and after installation of office 2007 on my xp system. Creating a manifest file for both the Graal4.exe and the Remotecontrol2.exe that links to a older version of the dll seems to have fixed it for me.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:56 AM
Incubator
Ugh, someone please give instruction on how to make a manifest file.

EDIT

Well after some searching I've found out how to fix the problem with a manifest file. A text file called manifest.txt is attached to this post. Place the file in your Graal folder and rename it to Graal4.exe.manifest to fix the Graal4 error. Copy it and rename to RemoteControl2.exe.manifest to fix that also.

I copied and pasted the info thats in the files from a URL I found in a different Graal post.
The URL
The Post
Attached Files
File Type: txt manifest.txt (658 Bytes, 1677 views)

Last edited by Inverness; 12-15-2006 at 04:40 AM..
Old 12-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Incubator
I would like to know if this actually helps anyone.