Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2002, 02:24 AM
sage_chaozu will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to sage_chaozu Send a message via AIM to sage_chaozu Send a message via MSN to sage_chaozu Send a message via Yahoo to sage_chaozu
Lightbulb Swear Filter?

I think a swear filter should be built straight into graal. It should be accessible through the options menu, so you can disable it or add new words to the swear filter. So the words will be filtered through showimg, character chat and other ways of showing text before it is shown. Because I know if there is lag, character chat takes may be filtered after it is displayed. Then we could have other cool options like: show swear words in red, or select a symbol to subsititute the word. That way we could throw out the cussing rules on these servers. Also we should have a default library that is automatically enabled so like first time little kids will not see anything too bad. Because I highly doubt that the little kids know what l337 or @$$ is.

P.S. My p2p is running out, so after a while you may not see me posting anymore.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:35 AM
SaitoHajime is on a distinguished road
Why would anyone want them showing up in red? o.O

Old 12-27-2002, 08:54 PM
Delteria_Free18 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delteria_Free18 Send a message via AIM to Delteria_Free18
Quote:
Originally posted by SaitoHajime
Why would anyone want them showing up in red? o.O
no apperent reason I think just filtering changing what word comes out would be good enough adding words via RC or whatever would be another good thing

........//////
.......( )
.-oo0-(_)-0oo-

Go To: Delteria.net :: Forums.Delteria.net ::
Old 12-27-2002, 11:46 PM
Ex-Graal Global
Spark910 has a spectacular aura about
I made a post about this, it reached about 14pages and in the end Stefan said:

Quote:
Filters are like putting tape on a wolfs mouth
In other words, NO and he finsihed with

Quote:
Its in the rules not to swear its up to staff Banning and not a filter..
Old 12-29-2002, 02:09 AM
Forbidden
G_yoshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to G_yoshi
Re: Swear Filter?

Quote:
Originally posted by sage_chaozu
I think a swear filter should be built straight into graal. It should be accessible through the options menu, so you can disable it or add new words to the swear filter. So the words will be filtered through showimg, character chat and other ways of showing text before it is shown. Because I know if there is lag, character chat takes may be filtered after it is displayed. Then we could have other cool options like: show swear words in red, or select a symbol to subsititute the word. That way we could throw out the cussing rules on these servers. Also we should have a default library that is automatically enabled so like first time little kids will not see anything too bad. Because I highly doubt that the little kids know what l337 or @$$ is.

P.S. My p2p is running out, so after a while you may not see me posting anymore.
Script the filter yourself. Its not that hard :/ You could do it in such a way that makes it easy for you or anyone else to add in new words to filter.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:46 AM
sage_chaozu will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to sage_chaozu Send a message via AIM to sage_chaozu Send a message via MSN to sage_chaozu Send a message via Yahoo to sage_chaozu
ack

I do not mean to have it scripted into a server or to have it where the RC controls it. I mean to have it in options... In the OPTIONS MENU.. so you can have the option to turn it on or off. Like so you will not see some words that offend you. It should have it's own word bank that is empty or have a default bank of words in it. That can have words removed or added.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:37 AM
Darth Cucumber
Falcor is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Falcor Send a message via AIM to Falcor Send a message via MSN to Falcor Send a message via Yahoo to Falcor
I think if ANYTHINg should be hardcoded it should be just to tell the RC that someone is swearing excessivbly, like a server option to tell how many swears a person is allowed in a time frame (like an hour or so) and then if a player exceeds that, it logs it and tells the RC so they can deal with it. I already scripted something like this, but scripts are a middle man, so the more hardcode the better,

subliminal message: 1+1=3
Old 12-29-2002, 01:05 PM
Playerworld Administrator
HoudiniMan is on a distinguished road
a swear filter built into graal i'm against, however i think what he means is a "clientside" filter... built into the options menu so that any 1 player may decide to activate it with an editable database. pretty good idea i think

Old 12-29-2002, 11:43 PM
oldbie
brock128 is on a distinguished road
No. Swear filters never work. People can just say "d.amn" etc.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:24 AM
Forbidden
G_yoshi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to G_yoshi
Re: ack

Quote:
I do not mean to have it scripted into a server or to have it where the RC controls it. I mean to have it in options... In the OPTIONS MENU.. so you can have the option to turn it on or off. Like so you will not see some words that offend you. It should have it's own word bank that is empty or have a default bank of words in it. That can have words removed or added.
Perhaps its more of the matter of your parents seeing other players saying these things, hmm? I'm not discrediting the idea that you personally don't want to see it, but I'm pretty sure there are parents that are somewhat watchful of what thier kids play and tend to look over thier shoulders every so often.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Banned
Kinatt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Kinatt Send a message via Yahoo to Kinatt
I like falados's idea. That way people will watch their mouth cuz if they don't Some anal admin will be like time to execute my semi-average-godly-only-in-game power!! and do whatever they do to stop whatever the guy did with the cussing and stuff. But I would like to replace all bad words with poot as well that would be so cool you mother POOTer Im going to kick your POOT. Go to POOT you POOTING POOT. Maybe I'm just strange @[email protected]
Old 01-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Banned
Jasen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Jasen
Re: Swear Filter?

Quote:

I think that idea sucks. If I wanted to say dammage I probably wouldn't be able to because the filter would filter out dam like the game server thing Dark Ages does. It's realy frusterating.
Old 01-25-2003, 01:11 AM
tlf288 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to tlf288 Send a message via Yahoo to tlf288
Re: Re: Swear Filter?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jasen

the filter would filter out dam
Since when has dam been a cuss word?
Old 01-25-2003, 03:54 AM
Psionic Youth
Tyhm will become famous soon enough
wa****
wasshot

"Power does not corrupt. Fear corrupts, perhaps the fear of a loss of power."- John Steinbeck
"I'm only acting retarded, what's your excuse?" queried the Gord.
- My pet, the Levelup Gnome

http://forums.graalonline.com/forums...&postcount=233
Old 01-25-2003, 04:03 AM
That Guy
CheeToS2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to CheeToS2
Quote:
Originally posted by Tyhm
wa****
wasshot