Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by excaliber7388 View Post
And found them to be slower than the windows version, thus flawed.
Sucks for you then.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverness View Post
Sucks for you then.
Which has pretty much been the reply to Mac players from cyberjoueurs.
Even though we still pay the same amount
Old 08-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Kristi has a spectacular aura aboutKristi has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Kristi Send a message via MSN to Kristi
Quote:
I doubt it will be any faster if it's running off of gs2.
Um, gs2 code is compiled before it is sent to the client.

I don't know what you guys are talking about. I never noticed any type of speed problem with the scripted rc. I just hate having the graal client open to use it

Quote:
Which has pretty much been the reply to Mac players from cyberjoueurs.
Even though we still pay the same amount
You might personally play the same amount as a windows player, but the windows players combined put in extremely far more hours of play then the mac players combined. Why would you not focus on the majority of your playerbase? CJ already exceeded many gaming companies in the fact they even bothered to make the software cross-platform.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:34 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
And found them to be slower than the windows version, thus flawed.
I really wish you'd stop being so damn negative all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristi View Post
You might personally play the same amount as a windows player, but the windows players combined put in extremely far more hours of play then the mac players combined. Why would you not focus on the majority of your playerbase? CJ already exceeded many gaming companies in the fact they even bothered to make the software cross-platform.
This is of course true, but this also means that CJ should possibly put more effort into the Mac client to attract more players.

It depends on which way you see it. Personally, I think instead of doing crazy **** like iGraal, that could have been used to make a Mac RC client.

I wonder if it would be practical to make a Java RC client, so that they could more easily update it, and still stay cross platform.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:38 PM
[TServerDeveloper]
Novo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
CJ already exceeded many gaming companies in the fact they even bothered to make the software cross-platform.
How about this: Give me specifications on the protocol used... MINUS the encryption method... Basically -- They'd require only implementing the protocol required to communicate with the already-made remote controls.

Then... I'll make the Mac RC myself... Without the protocol for data-in / data-out... Like that, the Mac RC would be already developed and... They'd just have to copy and paste Linux's cipher methods.

I don't mind making these apps myself... But I've never hacked before, and reverse-engineering apps isn't my forté, nor do I enjoy it.

As for external others (level editor, gani editor)... The apps can be made by developers. It's not that difficult to make: The files are pretty much in ASCII, easily understandable from text editor.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Fry has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
How about this: Give me specifications on the protocol used... MINUS the encryption method... Basically -- They'd require only implementing the protocol required to communicate with the already-made remote controls.
If your problem is already the lack of knowledge about the protocol, then I somehow doubt you would get beyond basic RC chat functionality before getting bored and disappearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post
As for external others (level editor, gani editor)... The apps can be made by developers. It's not that difficult to make: The files are pretty much in ASCII, easily understandable from text editor.
Yeah it's all really no problem, just parse the file and there's your level editor! No work at all really, maybe one hour!

Talk is good, but maybe you should make something before finding excuses or making claims. The thing is that it's not trivial work at all, and especially cross-platform support is not.

I do have to agree with Kristi that it is already a pretty big achievement to actually have the game run on all three platforms, and with having the development tools implemented by the game's scripting language you can keep these cross-platform problems to a minimum.

What you could complain about is GraalOnline not actually providing a scripted level editor. But as I said there is certainly nothing trivial about the work involved.

Top 3 servers at the moment (players):

Old 08-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry View Post
I do have to agree with Kristi that it is already a pretty big achievement to actually have the game run on all three platforms, and with having the development tools implemented by the game's scripting language you can keep these cross-platform problems to a minimum.
BRILLIANT! I wish I had the ability to give out rep more then once.

You people complain about the lack of mac tools, but then complain about the tools being scripted in game.

Although, I wouldn't object to external tools coded in java...

I use perl to generate levels and vim/kate (depending on my mood) to edit them.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
You people complain about the lack of mac tools, but then complain about the tools being scripted in game.
Just because it's been done, doesn't mean they shouldn't ask for something better.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Bowie's Deciple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
Just because it's been done, doesn't mean they shouldn't ask for something better.
Point is that doing it in game makes it cross platform. If he modifies something about the rc protocol, the downloaded rcs would stop functioning. It is a lot easier to maintain the scripted rc.

As for a level editor, *anyone* could make that. The format of an .nw file is public.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Point is that doing it in game makes it cross platform. If he modifies something about the rc protocol, the downloaded rcs would stop functioning. It is a lot easier to maintain the scripted rc.

As for a level editor, *anyone* could make that. The format of an .nw file is public.
Ya, it's a lot easier to manage... but besides that point, a lot of people tend not to like it. I really shouldn't get into another thing about scripted vs external. My point is just because it is there, and usable, doesn't mean people should lower their standards. Yes, they get a cross-platform RC finally, but it's not what they were expecting.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
I really think this is a good idea. I might study up on my Java and try making one. It's been a while since I've worked with Java.

That, or it might be better to just write a plugin for Tiled (someone else mentioned this in another thread).
Old 08-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Banned
excaliber7388 can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to excaliber7388
Java wouldn't bee too bad. At least it would be a dedicated application and external
Part of the problem is that the scripted ones also rely on an internet connection (and a fast one at that), which I rarely have at school.
The main reason I stopped paying them for gold/vip and a playerworld was because these tools ran horrifically slow on my school's network. Not worth the money if I can only sit back for a minute ever time I try to open an npc to place a tile.

The scripted tools really bite, they aren't the answer. We need real, native applications. I've had some requests to start developing again, and I would in a heartbeat, if I knew there would be some good dev tools I could use. But the last time I tried to use the Mac rc and level editor, it was terrible. Terrible enough for me to quit graal and leave Dark Rival (which I had worked on for over a year) to rot.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Somewhat rusty
Loriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to allLoriel is a name known to all
Quote:
Recompiling the tools for every platform is probably the least of the problems involved.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I like how it seems to be only GST that support scripted tools.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:13 AM
Script-fu
Skyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud ofSkyld has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Skyld
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I like how it seems to be only GST that support scripted tools.
That's 'cause we actually care to properly weigh the benefits of them. I've said time and time over if there are big problems with the Scripted RC, to post it in the thread. How else are we meant to know?

Tags
mac