Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Kohola_KinG Kohola_KinG is offline
Registered User
Kohola_KinG's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 613
Kohola_KinG is on a distinguished road
Post Food Businesses

I have discussed this idea in the past in previous threads and after some discussion today about it with Shrimps i have decided that i think it deserves a thread on it's own. I'd like to expand the idea and see if we can actually make it happen. It is quite simple but could yet could prove difficult i will leave that part to an experienced scripter to confirm.

The Problem

I believe in todays Era due to lack of player killing activity there hasn't been much of a demand for food and due to this players have stacks of food in their inventory's and as a result of this they do not need to go and purchase any food as they already have it. Food businesses main source of income is coming from gang players and i believe this is where food businesses is severely suffering.

The Solution

Let's introduce rotting food and give a reason for food to become useless. Increases the demand for food and a result of this will increase sales and jobs for people to attend. Let's make it simple for ourselves. All food will have the same expiry date let's say a month for example. You purchase a slice of pizza on the 1st of January which will then expiry on the 31st of January rendering it useless for healing purposes. We could add a twist however which i will mention further on.

Purchasing 1 slice of pizza or 100 it'll just be the same way. However, the problem that i need a scripter to confirm is that.... When you purchase 1 slice of pizza and it expires on the 31st. You purchase 1 the next day is it possible to make that slice of pizza expire on the 1st of February and so on?

What About Trading It?

Well sadly with this idea this will not be an option. You will not get to sell food or sell it in the mall because i believe it would only cause a problem as people don't know the expiry date and it could also cause some code implications. However, with an expiry date i am pretty sure nobody would care about trading it as it is going to expiry anyway so it would make the street value worthless but the beauty of it gives businesses huge value.

The Twist I Mentioned

This is an option you can add or not add. When the food rots it changes image/color or becomes unusual-able in your inventory to notify you of the changes. The beauty here is that when it gets to this stage we could add it to the recycling center. For example: You purchase $300 worth of food but give the value of rotted food half of what you purchased it for so you would be trading it in for $150. This gives people some money back from the economy to go purchase more food. I think it's a great addition.

Summary

- Make food rot
- Give it an expiry date
- Make it untradeable
- Rotted food turns into waste that can be traded in to recycling center for half the vale

This stops the huge stacks of peoples foods stopping them from having to go and purchase any food for weeks if not months on end. I don't remember the last time i had to purchase food. This gives food businesses recurrent customers and sales. It's a never ending cycle and a good flow of income for businesses.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2015, 08:43 PM
shrimps shrimps is offline
Butterscotch Pudding
shrimps's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Red Bank, Tennessee
Posts: 1,127
shrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to beholdshrimps is a splendid one to behold
I like the idea. That way businesses actually get used often for food.
Also you can only buy so much food so people won't spent 5k at one time and have enough donuts forever. They'll have to buy smaller amounts but it'll be semi-often always keeping the business moving.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2015, 12:30 AM
SharkeySprinkles SharkeySprinkles is offline
Exolia Zephlyn
SharkeySprinkles's Avatar
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 81
SharkeySprinkles will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SharkeySprinkles
I like the idea of food rotting, and it's a thought we've all tossed around on my staff team many times. It will be a problem, a whole new system for food would have to be created, and all the current food must be removed (also a mild pain in the butt.)

The only problem I see here is the 1/2 value money being returned. You don't recycle food for money in the real world. If we did allow the feature of returning it for some value of money though, it would be a lot less than 1/2 of what you paid, that's just too much money for what is in reality garbage.

Instead, I propose a potentially different effect the "spoiled" food could give; Players could still eat it, it may grant a very mild health boost (much less than the un-spoiled counter part), and it would make them "sick". While sick, the players may experience slowed movement, a shaky screen, or potentially they may fall very ill and lose HP (all a roll of the dice for eating said spoiled food).

Over all, not a bad idea, but not sure if it's one we'll jump on too fast. I know player owned food businesses have issues, and I've been trying my hardest to think of ways to "fix" them since I got manager. I promise something will be done though, and this thread is a perfect place for anyone to pitch ideas.
__________________
-Exolia Zephlyn
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 AM
Kohola_KinG Kohola_KinG is offline
Registered User
Kohola_KinG's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 613
Kohola_KinG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkeySprinkles View Post
The only problem I see here is the 1/2 value money being returned. You don't recycle food for money in the real world. If we did allow the feature of returning it for some value of money though, it would be a lot less than 1/2 of what you paid, that's just too much money for what is in reality garbage.
It was just an example. I have no idea what it would be worth but would be cool to recycle it for whatever is given for it. This option doesn't have to be added though, just an extra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkeySprinkles View Post
Instead, I propose a potentially different effect the "spoiled" food could give; Players could still eat it, it may grant a very mild health boost (much less than the un-spoiled counter part), and it would make them "sick". While sick, the players may experience slowed movement, a shaky screen, or potentially they may fall very ill and lose HP (all a roll of the dice for eating said spoiled food).
I don't favor this idea for two reasons. It would be a lot harder to do this than what i suggested and it would annoy players having to feel forced to eat. With my idea you purchase the food and if you don't eat it in time it becomes useless you destroy it or recycle it and go buy more. Rinse and repeat.

As you say though, if you're reading this forum anyone please feel free to drop your suggestions in. It's clear that businesses need addressed so let's address it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Logababy Logababy is offline
unknown
Logababy's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 221
Logababy will become famous soon enough
I like the idea of food spoiling however like Exolia, do not agree with recycling the spoiled food.

The food businesses right now (I'm not going to lie) are just terrible, and need to be sorted out. I know for a fact one of the businesses, Speedy Pizza, made only about $500 in a whole week. Which is just not good enough, but I would also like to mention that we need players to have more of an incentive to want to stock. I'm pretty sure Katbot had a plan where if they worked then they would be rewarded which would obviously be ideal.

Players need to want to stock businesses and be able to work their way up, which is for some, the only reason they work. They simply just want more rights.

Whatever happens, there needs to be a change so hopefully we come up with a good idea.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Elk Elk is offline
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Deerland
Posts: 3,829
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Recycle old food? Lol wtf

And the idea for rotting is very great
__________________
iEra IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iCla. IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iZone IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)




Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Arakonda Arakonda is offline
Snake Eyes
Arakonda's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Under a bridge.
Posts: 183
Arakonda is an unknown quantity at this point
Instead of nerfing anything just to give four players a few extra doll hairs a week, you should think about ways to increase pking.

Or maybe if you do decide to implement this idea, you could also makes street tiles degrade over time, so that there's big lava holes unless people buy new street tiles and cover up the insta-kill lava pits.
And maybe we could make grenades degrade overtime too, so that they explode after you don't use them for a day turning you into an anti-idle zombie that attacks people who idle in no-pk zones, and make bullets degrade too so that they misfire and make you **** bricks and stuff.

We could add horses too, but you'd have to make sure you don't buy too much horse food stuff, because it can degrade and then the horse would die and stuff.

How about we adding a wizard class too, give him the ability to conjure money, and that way no one would ever dupe a single doll hair ever again.

That's some pretty solid ideas I got here fellas, let's discuss this bullshit too.

Man, let's add all this bullshit and pray it increases pking, you know, instead of actually trying to fix what's broken, let's add some random **** there and nerf some bullshit here.
__________________
We're all lost.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Supaman771 Supaman771 is offline
Posting The Truth
Supaman771's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,694
Supaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of lightSupaman771 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohola_KinG View Post
You purchase 1 the next day is it possible to make that slice of pizza expire on the 1st of February and so on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkeySprinkles View Post
It will be a problem, a whole new system for food would have to be created, and all the current food must be removed (also a mild pain in the butt.)
This is the conclusion I always come to with this. Every food item would need to be ID'd or given some data so we know when it spoils for this to be effective. They would also need some way to distinguish which food item to use first out of the pile of identical items.

I just don't think that is logical. For example; we have to reset certain logs daily for them to be manageable -- and the Betflip DB (which reset just a couple months ago) is already too large to open without crashing my RC... this is storing maybe 2-20 different values per person. In the case of food we would have thousands of individual items per player.

But I'm a noob; maybe someone more knowledgeable has an effective way to figure this out and would like to make it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logababy View Post
The food businesses right now (I'm not going to lie) are just terrible, and need to be sorted out. I know for a fact one of the businesses, Speedy Pizza, made only about $500 in a whole week. Which is just not good enough, but I would also like to mention that we need players to have more of an incentive to want to stock. I'm pretty sure Katbot had a plan where if they worked then they would be rewarded which would obviously be ideal.

Players need to want to stock businesses and be able to work their way up, which is for some, the only reason they work. They simply just want more rights.

Whatever happens, there needs to be a change so hopefully we come up with a good idea.
If we have to reward people to make them participate in some part of the game then it probably isn't worth having that in the first place.

The system is archaic; speaking both to healing (eat item, gain life) and businesses (guild, grab npcs). Instead of trying to find a way to enslave people into pushing A or get other people to buy items that aren't in any way required (in the case of food businesses); we should either make them interesting/fun enough to stand on their own... or remove them and focus on improving elsewhere.
__________________

Last edited by Supaman771; 01-29-2015 at 07:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Kohola_KinG Kohola_KinG is offline
Registered User
Kohola_KinG's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 613
Kohola_KinG is on a distinguished road
We had spoiling food in the past it doesn't matter though that's not the problem, the problem is we do not have a gangs admin with the determination to keep the content, changes and events rolling to keep players eating food. Players have way to much food in their inventorys they dont need to go near food businesses for months on end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Recycle old food? Lol wtf

And the idea for rotting is very great
- Gives you the opportunity to recycle more of your waste
- It reduces the odour caused by rotting food waste by providing a special containment system and regular service
- It reduces the amount of waste that has to be landfilled which helps to cut down the cost of waste disposal
- It reduces the amount of methane gas produced in landfill sites, which is a cause of global warming
-Your treated food waste will be used to create energy as a renewable bio-fuel

Yes i know it is era but it seems like you haven't heard of food being recycled?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-30-2015, 02:42 AM
Godzilla Godzilla is offline
Banned
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 450
Godzilla has a spectacular aura about
Theres too much variety.

I have been eating nothing but the biscuits we got at the start of December from the Christmas Event.

Honestly, I haven't had to pay anyone for 5 weeks because no one has stocked and no one has bought items.

I only recently will need to do pay because I hired a whole new set of players into Speedy Pizza who have stocked, yet only $2,000 of income has come from the $9,000 I'm going to have to pay the employees.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Cubical Cubical is offline
Banned
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,348
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
should make food give you diabetes and cause your feet to fall off as well as cause you to bloat up really big. avatars will soon begin to have an actual resemblance to the players controlling them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2015, 09:46 AM
Elk Elk is offline
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Deerland
Posts: 3,829
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
thats a grand idea...
__________________
iEra IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iCla. IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)
iZone IGN: *Elk (Darkshire)




Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-01-2015, 03:53 PM
Eclipse Eclipse is offline
Registered User
Eclipse's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CT, Bristol
Posts: 377
Eclipse is a jewel in the roughEclipse is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Eclipse
just delete food in general

fight me like a man and die
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-01-2015, 06:33 PM
BlueMelon BlueMelon is offline
asdfg
BlueMelon's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,481
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
maybe if the food was organic and free range it would sell more
__________________
http://i.imgur.com/OOJbW.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2015, 07:07 PM
ooger ooger is offline
Registered User
ooger's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 75
ooger will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
just delete food in general

fight me like a man and die
People would just run at 2 hits or w/e it took to not make them bleed. There's some terrible stigma against dying for some reason lol. Respawning is way easier than running around the gmap for 5 minutes
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 Toonslab All Rights Reserved.