Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Graphic Design
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 03:32 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I had in mind, as you can see, tabs above, possibly add a "Development" tab that shows all inbuild servers?
Like the list in RC (its a little huge...i know)
Well, if Stefan adds a proper sorting feature for all those servers, that would be fine I guess
Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Grraaaaaw
Tom is on a distinguished road
Nice, not a fan of the solid frames but the rest is good. I only really play graal to play the poker and pool games, so with something like this i atleast dont need to burn my eyes everytime i login just to play a game.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Delteria
Cloven has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Cloven
Concept isn't bad but the theme and lack of creativity is a bit overdone in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:46 PM
Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
The main problem I have with it is that if Graal does anything outside of pixel work, the interface will not be very fitting. Graal3d springs to mind for example. I was never a fan of the layout of the current serverlist design myself though, but this is indeed a better looking version of it.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
I had in mind, as you can see, tabs above, possibly add a "Development" tab that shows all inbuild servers?
Like the list in RC (its a little huge...i know)
I'd rather have a list of last 10 visited UC servers and a box to type them in, than a list of ALL the servers.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Finish it + put it in the correct format for it to be implemented, then I'll be impressed

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
Finish it + put it in the correct format for it to be implemented, then I'll be impressed
Hm, could make a good topic to discuss. "Correct format"? Theoretically, you could just use most of the graphics as a background image and place all the elements on top. Graal would need another change though, a basic feature it was always lacking: a set screen resolution, which is not changeable. I would love that, but I guess it won't happen
Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow View Post
a set screen resolution, which is not changeable. I would love that, but I guess it won't happen
No. Some of us still use 800x600 and fixed-width is the antithesis of modern design.

Anyways, it would be really nice if you could show a finished product, Elk. It's hard to say yes or no based on a 'sketch'.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
No. Some of us still use 800x600 and fixed-width is the antithesis of modern design.
We are talking about game design here. Having a fixed resolution would be a huge advantage.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:27 PM
░▒▓██▓▒░
Galdor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond reputeGaldor has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Crow :O
btw very nice Elk =]

My Albums
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unixmad
This forums is going worst each day.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 PM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
We are talking about game design here. Having a fixed resolution would be a huge advantage.
For you, maybe. Relying on a single resolution is lazy. It's especially dumb for a windowed game; who plays Graal fullscreen? I don't.

If fixed-width is a cornerstone of game design, then game design needs to catch up to the rest of the world. It's all about dynamics, now. Fluidity, customization, etc. Nobody wants to be told which resolution they have to be in.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Master of Puppets
xXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant futurexXziroXx has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to xXziroXx Send a message via MSN to xXziroXx
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
For you, maybe. Relying on a single resolution is lazy. It's especially dumb for a windowed game; who plays Graal fullscreen? I don't.

If fixed-width is a cornerstone of game design, then game design needs to catch up to the rest of the world. It's all about dynamics, now. Fluidity, customization, etc. Nobody wants to be told which resolution they have to be in.
Not sure about you, but whenever I play a game I'd prefer playing it how the developers visualized it. If that means 800x600, then fine, so be it.

Note that this usually only applies to 2D games, since 3D games scale better when alternating between resolutions.

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." - Shigeru Miyamoto
Old 09-03-2009, 01:43 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXziroXx View Post
Not sure about you, but whenever I play a game I'd prefer playing it how the developers visualized it. If that means 800x600, then fine, so be it.
Full screen? My native resolution is 1024x768 so small resolutions aren't an issue for me, but others have 22" monitors and 800x600 is microscopic. Also Graal isn't a game remember?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
Full screen? My native resolution is 1024x768 so small resolutions aren't an issue for me, but others have 22" monitors and 800x600 is microscopic. Also Graal isn't a game remember?
"Not a game", yea, whatever. I still see it as a game. Also, one could add a 2x drawing mode for larger monitors, so it doesn't look that small.
The problem with the whole fixed/non-fixed resolution thing is that it's basically fine for 3D games to have a range of resolutions. Even more than that, all 3D games should have several resolutions to choose from. But the things you actually see in the end (like, the parts of the 3D environments which are visible) are always the same. You can't scale 2D games like that though, it would just look ugly, so I think it's best to have a fixed resolution and maybe a 2x drawing mode for the ones with large monitors.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
"Not a game", yea, whatever. I still see it as a game.
So do I, I was mocking Ziro because he's one of the biggest "GRAAL IZNT A GAME LOLF" proponents.