Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 04:42 AM
xChugxLifex
Frankie is a jewel in the roughFrankie is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Frankie Send a message via MSN to Frankie
people with low latency are in no way at a disadvantage against someone with high latency..
Old 06-19-2010, 05:26 AM
hunterhunk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
people with low latency are in no way at a disadvantage against someone with high latency..
Yeah, with laggers, you just have to know how to react according to their movements.... I never find laggers hard to PK/Spar, it actually does me a favor usually.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Developer
FantasyX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to FantasyX
I really hope you change your mind, Vimes. Server-side PK is partly what ****ed up Jenn's Era (along with a lot of other things) and it completely rules out any skill in sparring/pking. With clientside PK, everything is fair. Despite that some characters lag more than others, you have to take into account that they're seeing everyone else in that level eating their bullets.

The argument I've always ****ing hated is that laggers eat bullets. I continue to try to get this point across: You're eating bullets on their screen, too. Try to predict where they're going to go, in stead of crying about how they're eating bullets on your screen. It's 100% fair. Clientside PK is the only fair way to do it, and if you change it to serverside, you're just going to **** up everything.

NOTE - I'm not in any way trying to bash your scripting abilities. I know you're a qualified scripter. My argument has nothing to do with your ability to script.

Torque
Old 06-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Rjax Shizibz
Dnegel will become famous soon enough
The best way to kill laggers is too melee them, most of them freeze for 1-2 secs.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:30 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasyX View Post
I really hope you change your mind, Vimes. Server-side PK is partly what ****ed up Jenn's Era (along with a lot of other things) and it completely rules out any skill in sparring/pking. With clientside PK, everything is fair. Despite that some characters lag more than others, you have to take into account that they're seeing everyone else in that level eating their bullets.

The argument I've always ****ing hated is that laggers eat bullets. I continue to try to get this point across: You're eating bullets on their screen, too. Try to predict where they're going to go, in stead of crying about how they're eating bullets on your screen. It's 100% fair. Clientside PK is the only fair way to do it, and if you change it to serverside, you're just going to **** up everything.

NOTE - I'm not in any way trying to bash your scripting abilities. I know you're a qualified scripter. My argument has nothing to do with your ability to script.
If it turns out to not work as well as it has in my tests on Era Dev then we'll abandon it. It's not like it's going to take weeks of work to do or undo.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:58 PM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbk1994 View Post
If it turns out to not work as well as it has in my tests on Era Dev then we'll abandon it. It's not like it's going to take weeks of work to do or undo.
Yeah but the playercount is going to moan about it taking that long if you do have to.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:06 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
Yeah but the playercount is going to moan about it taking that long if you do have to.
Well, as I've said, it works very well in our tests right now, and it's literally one line of code to disable it. Some part of the playerbase will undoubtedly not like it but I'm hoping most of them will like it once they actually see it.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
*if you know about how latency affects the damage systems.

New players aren't going to know to shoot a few tiles in front of a lagger, or even to use melee weapons against them. And in order to explain it to them they would need a basic understanding of serverside/clientside.

Latency is a problem to the extent that, most low latency players are accustomed to shooting directly at most other players and having those players take damage properly.
Laggers are accustomed to shooting a few tiles in front of other players to allow for their own latency and having those players take damage properly.
Now when a lagger and low latency player fight against eachother, the low latency players is still going to be shooting directly at the lagger, and the lagger is still going to be shooting a few tiles in front of the low latency player. And in this scenario the lagger has a clear advantage because his shots will be placed correctly but the low latency players shots won't be, and chances are the low latency players won't even know that they need to adjust their shots to allow for the other player's lag.

If you know which players lag, and how much you need to shoot ahead of them, or you can quickly adjust after you land your first hit and place subsequent shots the right distance in front of laggers, then it's not such an issue.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:55 PM
!
Andre2006 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Andre2006
I agree with Geo, nobody in Europe has less than 200 Latency unless they have a super internet, I am currently using 24/24 mbit, so 24 up and 24 down. It's pretty good tho I still have a latency of 200-250, I don't even know why I down go lower.

I use to be among the others with 0-130 latency though this all changed for some reason and I haven't touched anything. I don't see how its an advantage to eat bullets, because for me it's really hard to dodge while others may think it seems easy because I'm eating the bullets but of course I'm not.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:04 PM
ω
Seeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to beholdSeeya is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Seeya
The thing is you see bullets differently then others. If they're using tactic to defeat you, and you're not seeing their bullets the same it ruins all tactic in what they're doing.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Finger lickin' good.
salesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud ofsalesman has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
The thing is you see bullets differently then others. If they're using tactic to defeat you, and you're not seeing their bullets the same it ruins all tactic in what they're doing.
change your tactics
Old 06-27-2010, 02:13 AM
Developer
FantasyX is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to FantasyX
Quote:
Originally Posted by salesman View Post
change your tactics
it's as easy as that. ;p

Torque
Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Banned
WhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to beholdWhiteDragon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komali View Post
Move to Tokyo, it's only 8 hours away and has the best connection in the world!
Except that your connection is capped at 200kB/s to anywhere outside of Japan, along with a high latency.