Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Your opinion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
Exclamation Phasing out v5

It's almost one year since we have released v6, time to proceed and disabling the old version. However there are still around 10% of players which use v5. Please tell us why you use v5:
- Because v5 looks better/different?
- Is v5 faster for you? Have you recently tried v6?
- Advancements like external PM windows are not a reason to switch?
- Playerlist on v5 feels nicer?

If v5 is released, the development staff including scripters can use more advanced features of v6 like multiple GUI styles and external windows. Will you switch to v6 if the old version is disabled or will it be a serious problem for you?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:31 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Awesome, can't wait for everyone to be on the same client.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:50 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
It's almost one year since we have released v6, time to proceed and disabling the old version. However there are still around 10% of players which use v5. Please tell us why you use v5:
- Because v5 looks better/different?
- Is v5 faster for you? Have you recently tried v6?
- Advancements like external PM windows are not a reason to switch?
- Playerlist on v5 feels nicer?

If v5 is released, the development staff including scripters can use more advanced features of v6 like multiple GUI styles and external windows. Will you switch to v6 if the old version is disabled or will it be a serious problem for you?
Personally, I like v5's appearance better, I also appreciate using the built-in joypad controls from time to time, v6's chat/playerlist likes to mess with me by everytime other time I click out of an external window in it, it decides to minimize the entire client, but that could be due to me not updating the client.

Just to make it clear about the joypad support reason, I know there are programs that can make your joypads useable still, but why should I have to do something like this when the old version clearly shows there is support for it?

I will usually jump on v6 anyways just so I can get used to it for when this would eventually happen, but those are my reasons I prefer v5 still for player use.

v5 or v6 doesn't bother me in choice, v6 does operate better for servers that are up to date for me, so if anything, I'd love to switch entirely to v6, but these minor things are what keep me from doing so, I usually get on Graal just so I can keep a check on those friends that still play I know of and If I can't do it seamlessly, why bother?

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 AM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
I don't even remember what V5 looks like any more
Old 05-28-2013, 03:00 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Just to give a refresher of both version's general appearances in GUIs/playerlist, view here at imgur

http://imgur.com/yCzqQyb,bM1m1Ny,gvc...um0AyJ,YptWgzG

Personally, v5 handled it better with using the GUIs for simple windows like "Connecting to Server" with the default font, but the font in v6 is just ghastly to read, makes me feel like I'm being scolded at just by looking at it.

I also like the appearance of the playerlist window over the current, makes it look too busy with the blue and bulbous scrollbars, which are fine for scripted window boxes. (My opinion)

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:27 AM
Graal Developer
Rave_J can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Rave_J Send a message via MSN to Rave_J Send a message via Yahoo to Rave_J
since i switch to v6 seem like i start to lag more but cant tell if its from the lag on era or the client
Old 05-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rave_J View Post
since i switch to v6 seem like i start to lag more but cant tell if its from the lag on era or the client
If it's not an FPS drop you're talking about, then it's the connection between you and the server and not likely anything to do with the client itself. The word "lag" is horribly misused these days, so forgive me if that's exactly what you meant in the first place.
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 AM
Graal Developer
Rave_J can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Rave_J Send a message via MSN to Rave_J Send a message via Yahoo to Rave_J
I don't think its on my end due i have a high internet connection and the server was in texas so ya when i do a ping test its low
just seems like graal holds back my pc performance for some reason but offline it does it too example v5 offline level editor when u test run a level i dont lag at all during v5 now v6 since a few months ago it lags when i test my level offline for some reason and my pc is only a year old with windows 7
Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
1. No UDP/P2P - This wouldn't be a problem if you improved the server<->client communication and interpolation to smooth out movement.
2. V5 Playerlist is superior in many players opinions.
3. Fonts appear bolded in comparison to V6.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
I like the v5 playerlist/profile windows and the font appearance. Not really serious though.

Lack of UDP is only really important for classic-style sparrers, and UN is practically dead so I doubt anyone cares/knows what it is. With v6 players, and not only staff, should be able to log on the iServers. Facebook client is ****. List the servers on the serverlist, let's see some pretty numbers for Graal's sake.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Banned
Cubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant futureCubical has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
I like the v5 playerlist/profile windows and the font appearance. Not really serious though.

Lack of UDP is only really important for classic-style sparrers, and UN is practically dead so I doubt anyone cares/knows what it is. With v6 players, and not only staff, should be able to log on the iServers. Facebook client is ****. List the servers on the serverlist, let's see some pretty numbers for Graal's sake.
Whenever I look for mobile games now I usually look to see if it has a PC counterpart so I can play it when I'm at home on the PC so I'm not straining my eyes on the phone and when I'm at work or waiting around. Cross device portability is where everything is heading not just games but legitimate work applications, social applications. Graal has the advantage that other online games do not have and that's to make its content available on all devices with it's current functionality. I'd play iClassic and iZone if i was able to play on the PC as well as my phone but I just cant stand spending hours staring at my phone.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Unholy Nation
Starfire2001 will become famous soon enough
Still use v5 because of...

UDP
Old 05-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Registered Pirate Ghost
Gos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to beholdGos_pira is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
1. No UDP/P2P - This wouldn't be a problem if you improved the server<->client communication and interpolation to smooth out movement.
2. V5 Playerlist is superior in many players opinions.
3. Fonts appear bolded in comparison to V6.
This. And also the profile window from v5 is better. The external windows should be worked on more so they behave more like native windows.

Maybe generate Gtk / Windows Forms from the scripts rather than rendering it like it's done now?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:00 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubical View Post
Whenever I look for mobile games now I usually look to see if it has a PC counterpart so I can play it when I'm at home on the PC so I'm not straining my eyes on the phone and when I'm at work or waiting around. Cross device portability is where everything is heading not just games but legitimate work applications, social applications. Graal has the advantage that other online games do not have and that's to make its content available on all devices with it's current functionality. I'd play iClassic and iZone if i was able to play on the PC as well as my phone but I just cant stand spending hours staring at my phone.
I couldn't agree more with you, I'd also like to see keyboard support for the iDevices so I can get a PC feeling while I'm online. Could be a nice change of pace, not sure if it's already been done though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gos_pira View Post
This. And also the profile window from v5 is better. The external windows should be worked on more so they behave more like native windows.

Maybe generate Gtk / Windows Forms from the scripts rather than rendering it like it's done now?
I understand this, but I've been using v6 for more than a year now (ever since beta), and exactly as Blue stated; I have no idea what v5 even looks like anymore. It grows on you, trust me.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:45 AM
alskdjfhg
alskdjfhg is on a distinguished road
UDP, thanks