Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
What I have been up to, and don't get excited

Over six months ago I started a project of my own. This project was intended to be a simple hobby of sorts to pass time and be a creative output.

This project spawned from my imagination as to what I could do with Classic if I had reworked it with my ideas. I am a very old player from Classic, who played the earlier versions(pre-P2P) of Classic, if it should even be called that. Thus, many of my ideas have grown from very old perspectives. For example, the layout of the overworld is structured after the very original layout, nostalgic areas returned, old names... These were all something I related to, so they had a big impact on the directions I took.

I spent a month or less offline working on the overworld and various graphics, fleshing out ideas. I took the original overworld and converted it to a gmap. Then I sat and took all those levels and updated and fixed them up into an original overworld. Then I took it online with a 6-month subscription and I worked on it when I had free time and felt like it. Like I said, this was to have fun, not to be stressed. I worked on scripts here and there, and my original ideas started to fall apart. See, I wanted to originally have everything work with default, I wanted things to be kept simple! But as I added on ideas I started to realize default, as it was, was too limited. I had to rescript EVERYTHING from scratch. Movement, hit detection, horses... everything. The more I worked on it, the more complicated things got. I had a full movement system with various functions interwoven with other various systems... it was much more of a mess than I had originally hoped.

Months passed as I worked on it here and there... but as time went I started working on it less. After a few months I started to realize I had learned a lot in terms of scripting and I wasn't happy with my scripts anymore. However, I didn't have the drive to rescript and restructure the whole server from the ground-up again and I started losing motivation. Six months are up and the server is about to go down and I have no desire to continue it.

Regardless of it all, I enjoyed my time I spent working on this server. I kept it underwraps through the months because I didn't take the server as seriously as a server deserves to be taken, and I didn't want it to get any hype that would eventually lead to disappointment. My hopes was to work on it for fun, and maybe, just maybe it would all piece together and I'd eventually have a server to release for the players. Of course it didn't work out like that, but I have learned a lot and it was a great experience.

Here is a crappy video of some various mechanics(it really IS a crappy video. I'm not good at video editing at all so I just slapped it in Windows Movie Maker and threw in a song), as well as some screenshots.

I'm not sure how many people are aware, but the image in my sig links to an image that I updated of the server every so often... sort of a subtle advertisement of sorts. The image represents a Pheonix rising from a Graal, representing the rebirth of Classic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	graal_1259748770.png
Views:	846
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	51009

Name:	2pt29zc.png
Views:	531
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	51010

Name:	graal_1273133377.png
Views:	500
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	51011

Name:	graal_1273133305.png
Views:	524
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	51012

Name:	graal_1273133331.png
Views:	581
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	51013

To close, there is a lot I just can't put into words. The amount of planning I had put into, ideas that were never brought to live(thus screenshots or videos can never show). For example, I had planned to turn the quest for Graal's into a huge interactive quest for all players to get involved. It involved exploring and finding the four hard-to-find shrines. Each would have a large Guardian that you had to defeat to claim the Graal. Each color guard(for each color Graal) had various strengths and weaknesses. The Graal's weren't clientside. Only one person could hold a Graal at a time. Eventually after all four Graal's were claimed you could return them to a large Shrine that would make an island raise out of the ocean that lead to the Golden Realm. Any player could enter it then, and it would stay raised for a few hours, or days.

I wanted things like that to bring the community together. Either to fight together to all reap the benefits of the Golden Realm, or to fight and claim the Graal's for themselves. I also planned for a lot of random stat keeping for fun(how many bushes were slashed, chicken's killed, times you slashed your sword...). Also planned to introduce new content in an 'in-character' sort of way. For example, an earthquake would shake the screens of all the players, and a townsfolk NPC would run to populated areas, screaming of what she had seen. Players who missed it could go to the nearby Fortune Teller and have them recount recent events, which would tip them off as to where to go... various things like that. Like I said, many things I can't document, and really pointless to do so regardless.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Also, if you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask me. I can't really think of what I should talk about, but I'm still interested in making sure nothing is in the dark about this.

Name:	graal_1273133295.png
Views:	378
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	51014

Name:	graal_1273133454.png
Views:	365
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	51015

Name:	graal_1273133355.png
Views:	359
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	51016

Name:	graal_1273133350.png
Views:	429
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	51017

Name:	ce_map.png
Views:	486
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	51018
Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Other things

Name:	newdungeon.PNG
Views:	580
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	51019

Name:	graal_1251777544.png
Views:	448
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	51020

Name:	graal_1258407482.png
Views:	989
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	51021

And lastly, I include the dump of all my work

Like I said in my original post, the scripting could probably use some heavy reworking(and is not cleaned up in the slightest), but I think some people might be able to learn/use it

Anyways, I'm tired as hell, so maybe I will add what I can find to this thread later, as the zip is just a dump of what was on the server... not necessarily everything that I made for it. I just don't like anything going to waste!

Oh yes, I may have forgot to mention it, but this project is dead for me, so I won't be revisiting it... hence why it is here. I may just eventually keep posting the ideas and such I had for this project in this thread, so they don't go to waste either.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CE Backup.zip (3.59 MB, 723 views)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Luda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud ofLuda has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Luda
Shame this didn't get finished. I love pretty much everything about it.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned
Umat will become famous soon enough
Wow... Just, wow! I love so much of this stuff. The cliff climbing, the enter/leaving level transitions, the (somewhat) realistic bombs, the new graphics, the holes in the walls. Wow. Too bad you won't finish this, as this looks more realistic and professional than anything I've seen in... ages(ever?) on graal.

EDIT:

Hell, I could even pay for another 6 months on your server if that would motivate you to keep on working on it.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Mercury
Sp_lit will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umat View Post
this looks more realistic and professional than anything I've seen in... ages(ever?) on graal.
I have to agree with my fellow compatriot, this looks very nice! You've really put some effort into this, which you really can tell by looking at it!

Very nice work, too bad you won't finish it though
Old 05-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Kanto League Champion
Demisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud ofDemisis_P2P has much to be proud of
A+++
Umat summed up my thoughts exactly.

If somebody wants to pick this up and try to finish it I'd be willing to chip in some $ for a server as well.

Maybe get in contact with whoever is in charge of Classic at the moment and see if they want this?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Ideas on Fire
Soala is a jewel in the roughSoala is a jewel in the rough
I'm ready to mix everything with my own server to make it worthwhile
Old 05-06-2010, 01:15 PM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
I love you Dusty.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:55 PM
RIP DarkCloud_PK
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
Wow Dusty, simply amazing.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Deas
Deas_Voice is a jewel in the roughDeas_Voice is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Deas_Voice Send a message via MSN to Deas_Voice Send a message via Yahoo to Deas_Voice
*speak-less*

wow.
awesome.
since 2003~
I Support~
ღAeonღ | ღTestbedღ | ღDelteriaღ

if you are going to rep me, don't be an idiot, leave your name!
I got nothing but love for you
Old 05-06-2010, 03:01 PM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
Hehe, I knew you did something nice turnout!

Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Classic Developer
Grey will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Grey
Adore it!

Shame its a dead project because I would have happily lent my time to this.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:04 PM
graal player lord
Imperialistic is a jewel in the roughImperialistic is a jewel in the rough
Holy ****ing ****.

Dusty it's very upsetting that you gave up on this project. This is the best work I've ever seen.

Rep+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Mercury
Sp_lit will become famous soon enough
I just feel that this can't be said enough; awesome job. You should be proud