Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > PlayerWorlds Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2007, 11:13 PM
What?
ceserthen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ceserthen Send a message via MSN to ceserthen
Turn Based Concept

While some brainstorming an idea with a friend we came up with a amazing idea for a playerworld. The concept behind it originated from the GBA game Golden sun, if any of you have played it its the basic turn based RPG, so we thought, why hasn't any turn based rpg ever had any chance at all with the graal mainsteam and playerbase. In the end we came up with a simple problem, you don't ussually want to spend your time levelling in a turn based game, no you want to beat the game, find out what happens next. Our plans are laid out below. The server is based around one main quest surrounding this is going to be an amount of mini quests to gain new items and will be of varying levels of hardness. We currently are requesting any help for anything if you are in any way interested send me a pm or talk to me in game, we arn't officially hiring curretnly due to majority of the current staff members are gone during the month of July. Any ideas or comments will be greatly appreciated.

-ceserthen

ZONE GFX BLOG (PART #1)
Old 06-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Levelsmith
TalonShriner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TalonShriner Send a message via Skype™ to TalonShriner
Like most RPGs, once you finish the game, most people tend not to continue playing after they conclude the story. Unless you can come up with some sort of cutscene system and something that helps progress the story in a drawn-out epic, I think people would love to play it! Great idea.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:33 AM
[TServerDeveloper]
Novo will become famous soon enough
Your turn is after 30 other players! Please wait... :: starts local radio music ::
Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
It's been attempted, but like most server ideas, never brought to life.
To be honest, what I'd love to see is a pokemon-esque server, where the goal is to capture monsters. In terms of online RPG's, that seems to be the most "MMO-ready", as there would be a lot more diversity for players instead of just different weapons/clothes.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:41 AM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
It's been attempted, but like most server ideas, never brought to life.
To be honest, what I'd love to see is a pokemon-esque server, where the goal is to capture monsters. In terms of online RPG's, that seems to be the most "MMO-ready", as there would be a lot more diversity for players instead of just different weapons/clothes.
I've always wanted to do something like that and I'm thinking of incorporating it into my server, though not making it completely necessary. For example, you could have a familiar. Though, my project doesn't include much in the same of RPG Character Building, though I've been thinking of different ways I could go about it instead of "level gaining" :P
Old 06-25-2007, 01:50 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Well the thing is with that type of server is it offers many things that MMO's thrive on.
Diversity: Players/humans/races can only get so diverse from looking like the next person. Monsters on the otherhand can just about look nothing like the next, while still having maybe a 100+ designs.
Leveling: Instead of being stuck leveling one player, of one race/class, you'd be able to choose and level up different monsters when you feel like it, and mess around with different skills.

And some other stuff I had thought about while posting and forgot. Either way, I'm sure people could think of a ton of things to do with that type of server. It's a wonder why Nintendo hasn't done one with that franchise, it seems like the obvious thing to do with it.

EDIT: Oh ya, and lots of people like collecting/trading and such. That'd be a plus as well. And instead of events giving away special weapons, you'd be able to have a chance to capture rare monsters and so on. Lots of possibilities.

Last edited by DustyPorViva; 06-25-2007 at 02:04 AM..
Old 06-25-2007, 01:59 AM
jwd
Codein has a spectacular aura aboutCodein has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Codein Send a message via MSN to Codein
Aye, aye. It's a great idea. It'd take some creativity to come up with so many designs. With a good, small but capable team of developers, a project like this could be made :P
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 AM
What?
ceserthen will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ceserthen Send a message via MSN to ceserthen
I thought of a pokemon type server a while back but didn't get much feedback. The pokemon idea has a plus though, as leveling is quite a bit more fun in Pokemon games than it is in a traditional turn based RPG you can add the addictiveness factor into the equation.

ZONE GFX BLOG (PART #1)
Old 06-25-2007, 02:40 AM
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪
Shakram is on a distinguished road
its like a pirate theme server XD who gfx the ships ?
i think nobody does a server like this before because its horrible to gfx so many monsters with good looking sprites
i like the idea but to do a server like this is an other thing
and to the turn based thing... iam not really a fan of it because after 100 fights its so boring without the action :O
Old 06-25-2007, 02:52 AM
I get bored with graphics 'cause I hate doing the same thing over and over. I'd much rather do designs for lots of monsters than a boring HUGE image for a boat.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 PM
That one guy...
zokemon is a jewel in the roughzokemon is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to zokemon Send a message via AIM to zokemon Send a message via MSN to zokemon Send a message via Yahoo to zokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I get bored with graphics 'cause I hate doing the same thing over and over. I'd much rather do designs for lots of monsters than a boring HUGE image for a boat.
I can never find graphic artists who want to design a bunch of monsters :[

Anyways,
Who says you can't have a server with just a bunch of monsters? No one says the player has to be human or even a humanoid race.

I always thought it would be great to have a server full of beholders, medusas, basilisks, ghouls and minotaurs running around using their various racial abilities on each other.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:37 PM
Zodiac Nub
Xcessive54321 is on a distinguished road
I loved this when it was on UN. It's a shame they won't fix it.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Criminal X
PrinceDark will become famous soon enough
I remember Haro and PFA working on a turnbased world. Don't know what happened to it though. These ideas if implemented could make for a pretty fun world. Zokemon what kind of gfx/monsters would you need?