Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > General Forums > Graal Main Forum (English)
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Graal?
like Grahl 38 76.00%
like Grail 12 24.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #46  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:16 PM
Laek2007 Laek2007 is offline
Hooaah!!!
Laek2007's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 137
Laek2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Laek2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffyy View Post
Grail in german is spelt Gral. Which is probably why Stefan calls this game graal, since germans cant say Grail. xD

I w1n.
Who gives a crap about Germany.

In Swedish is Graal = Grail

In french is Graal = Grail

I also say "Grawl". But I only do this because I pronounce it the way I do in Swedish. The actual meaning of the word is Grail in Swedish aswell. So if I want to pronounce it in english I would say Grail. Not Graal. Because Graal is not a word in the english vocabulary.

The end. Thank you.
__________________
  • Quit graal
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Laek2007 Laek2007 is offline
Hooaah!!!
Laek2007's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Posts: 137
Laek2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Laek2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziro_of_the_Turks View Post
"My name is pronounced like this: Kamuii."
"Dustari is pronounced Dustari."
"It's Graal. Not Grail..."
Do you call your mom "mamma"? Probably not. Because you don't speak my language.

Then why the hell should you pronounce Graal as Grawl. If your not speaking french or any other language. When it obviously means GRAIL. In english.
__________________
  • Quit graal
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 PM
ViperZakuto ViperZakuto is offline
Duergar
ViperZakuto's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,220
ViperZakuto is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laek2007 View Post
Do you call your mom "mamma"? Probably not. Because you don't speak my language.

Then why the hell should you pronounce Graal as Grawl. If your not speaking french or any other language. When it obviously means GRAIL. In english.
because it just sounds better. kind of like

tomato - to-mah-toe
potato - po-tah-toe
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Darlene159 Darlene159 is offline
Administrator
Darlene159's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,470
Darlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud ofDarlene159 has much to be proud of
I have always pronounced it "Grawl" because that is what it looked like it was pronounced when I first saw it.
Habit will make me continue to say it that way, even if it is wrong, because it wouldn't sound right any other way.
__________________
FORUM RULES
GRAAL BIBLE (Lots of useful info)
INFO ABOUT REPUTATIONS.
INFO ABOUT INFRACTIONS.
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE NON-GRAAL RELATED FORUM (<<READ THOROUGHLY!)

SUPPORT: http://support.toonslab.com

NOTE: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN POSTS.
READ>THINK>POST
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-23-2007, 07:27 PM
xAzerothx xAzerothx is offline
Banned
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gurnee, Illinois
Posts: 2,615
xAzerothx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
I wouldn't say let's play Graal to anyone in real life so I don't care how you say it.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 12-23-2007, 08:18 PM
ViperZakuto ViperZakuto is offline
Duergar
ViperZakuto's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,220
ViperZakuto is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAzerothx View Post
I wouldn't say let's play Graal to anyone in real life so I don't care how you say it.
i sure do... got to get as many people on here as possible =O
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 AM
Ziro_of_the_Turks Ziro_of_the_Turks is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 887
Ziro_of_the_Turks will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laek2007 View Post
Do you call your mom "mamma"? Probably not. Because you don't speak my language.

Then why the hell should you pronounce Graal as Grawl. If your not speaking french or any other language. When it obviously means GRAIL. In english.

It's a name of something. Names aren't supposed to be translated. Though often they have been in the past... in our modern-era people are generally more respectful to diversity and accept a name in it's original language to preserve its essence. I can think of some games that are OFFICIALLY translated to an english name for english-speaking players.
Graal offers NO official translated name. Nowhere on the website will you see it officially called "Grail".

I'll pronounce "Grail" as "Grail". But I'll pronounce "Graal" as "Graal" (grawl).
I don't know what your language is, but I'm speaking English.

Also, you were responding to a post where I was simply showing someone else's words. Notice the quotation marks. MY name isn't Kamuii.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-28-2007, 05:09 AM
gemini2 gemini2 is offline
Fincayran Loser
gemini2's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 174
gemini2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to gemini2 Send a message via MSN to gemini2
I personally pronounce it differently than either of that :O
'Graal' with the a's sounding like the 'a's in '-ack'
It sounds really weird to me if I say it any other way, seeing as I've always said it as 'Graal'. Makes no sense whatsoever but it sounds fine to me

This is my favourite definition of it though, lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary View Post
GRAAL
General Recursive Applicative and Algorithmic Language. FP with polyadic combinators. "Graal: A Functional Programming System with Uncurryfied Combinators and its Reduction Machine", P. Bellot in ESOP 86, G. Goos ed, LNCS 213, Springer 1986.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystia RC
*Angelu: i said the tuba isnt fitting
Oinkness: well use some lube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelu View Post
for me the hole is to big and its a way to thin :O
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-28-2007, 06:32 AM
James James is offline
LOCAL DOUCHEBAG
James's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,132
James is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to beholdJames is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to James
Just ask Microsoft Sam.
__________________

JAMES BAY PACKERS
2011 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS
2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS


“If I can slow it down in my mind... things will be fine."

-Aaron Rodgers
2011's NFL Most Valuable Player




Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-28-2007, 06:57 AM
xAzerothx xAzerothx is offline
Banned
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gurnee, Illinois
Posts: 2,615
xAzerothx has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to xAzerothx Send a message via MSN to xAzerothx Send a message via Yahoo to xAzerothx
When I sat Graal in my head because I'm a loser I say it like Grrrr-all.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-28-2007, 07:38 AM
BigBear3 BigBear3 is offline
Zormite
BigBear3's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lynn, MA
Posts: 2,551
BigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond reputeBigBear3 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAzerothx View Post
When I sat Graal in my head because I'm a loser I say it like Grrrr-all.
Tony The Tiger?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-28-2007, 12:35 PM
projectigi projectigi is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 403
projectigi is an unknown quantity at this point
uh, germans can actually say "grail" too o.ô
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-28-2007, 02:53 PM
zephirot zephirot is offline
Banned?
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Paris
Posts: 1,311
zephirot is a name known to allzephirot is a name known to allzephirot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to zephirot Send a message via MSN to zephirot
Graal.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixmad
Can you just shut up ?
MAGA
MFGA
MEGA
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-28-2007, 03:00 PM
ChrizP2P ChrizP2P is offline
sdsdfdsfa
ChrizP2P's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 156
ChrizP2P is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to ChrizP2P
Always said it like Grahl.. or Groal etc
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Horrified Horrified is offline
Rediculously inactive
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 961
Horrified is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Horrified Send a message via AIM to Horrified Send a message via MSN to Horrified Send a message via Yahoo to Horrified
I know it's Grail, but I call it Grahl.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
graal pronunciation

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright (C) 1998-2019 Toonslab All Rights Reserved.