Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Graal V6 forums > Feature request
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM
Graal Administration
Admins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud ofAdmins has much to be proud of
To be honest I'm not sure if such things can be added anytime soon. We use it for some of our iPhone games but it's not that easy to expose to script. There are however other things in the works which can also improve Graal graphically in the future.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
To be honest I'm not sure if such things can be added anytime soon. We use it for some of our iPhone games but it's not that easy to expose to script. There are however other things in the works which can also improve Graal graphically in the future.
Do it! An ETA on v6 wouldn't be bad, either.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:33 PM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
I've seen the stencil buffer bound to Lua functions and a clientside interpreted language added to Quake, but if you don't feel capable..

Another thing I'd like to see is showimg, minus the layer sorting, depth sorting, and all that. Just draw it directly to the frame buffer as soon as it's called, and forget about it forever once the frame ends; just like blitting an image in SDL or whatever other graphics front. It'd make certain scripts easier to write where you have to manually draw an entire world for, say, an isometric or raycasting script, draw back-to-front, or front-to-back to get certain things looking right, and if I'm not mistaken it'd probably be significantly faster, since the client wouldn't be creating and destroying, sorting depth through tons of image objects.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
Quote:
Please try

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 08-16-2010, 02:44 AM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
Quote:
What other things?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:58 AM
Joe Cruddas (VIP)
gravator has a spectacular aura about
Stefan, you make it sound as if the current developers are stuck using the same tools as during 2001 and are just waiting for V6 release, there has to have been some new goodies added to make a really fun and beautiful server, Konidias managed to get some very nice graphics in bomy island so i'm very certain similar quality should be available now instead of the much older tilesets that are still in use on Era, UN and Zodiac or many of the hosted and under construction servers.

Combining Koni level work with Gonstruct would make one impressive and very professional looking server.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravator View Post
Stefan, you make it sound as if the current developers are stuck using the same tools as during 2001 and are just waiting for V6 release, there has to have been some new goodies added to make a really fun and beautiful server, Konidias managed to get some very nice graphics in bomy island so i'm very certain similar quality should be available now instead of the much older tilesets that are still in use on Era, UN and Zodiac or many of the hosted and under construction servers.

Combining Koni level work with Gonstruct would make one impressive and very professional looking server.
But there are limitations... Sure, we've had some advancements in effects like particles and scaling of images and such, but that's about it. There are some more dramatic effects that would make the game look way better... like already mentioned, reflections in the water, screen distortion that you often see in RPGs(think the waves from heat, making the screen slowly flow with waves), the ability to subtract from an image(for lamps like in Minish Cap), the ability to desaturate/color the screen for things like an ol' time effect. All these things would give creative developers an edge to make something that looks that much better.

And Koni's BI didn't really push Graal to its limits.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:23 PM
One More Time
MrOmega is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrOmega Send a message via MSN to MrOmega Send a message via Yahoo to MrOmega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
But there are limitations... Sure, we've had some advancements in effects like particles and scaling of images and such, but that's about it. There are some more dramatic effects that would make the game look way better... like already mentioned, reflections in the water, screen distortion that you often see in RPGs(think the waves from heat, making the screen slowly flow with waves), the ability to subtract from an image(for lamps like in Minish Cap), the ability to desaturate/color the screen for things like an ol' time effect. All these things would give creative developers an edge to make something that looks that much better.

just an oddball idea but couldn't you just set the RGB value of all objects to sepia tone levels for ol' time effect?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned
12171217 has a spectacular aura about
Doesn't Graal have a subtractive blending mode?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:

With this said, I'd like to add: oh my god I wish you could have images subtract from seteffects and other images.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 08-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigairius View Post
With this said, I'd like to add: oh my god I wish you could have images subtract from seteffects and other images.
Stefan actually replied to one of my topics about it and said it's require a new buffer of the sort... and that was it. He didn't sound too enthusiastic about it.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:50 PM
The Cat
Tigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant futureTigairius has a brilliant future
Quote:
Stefan actually replied to one of my topics about it and said it's require a new buffer of the sort... and that was it. He didn't sound too enthusiastic about it.
That's rather unfortunate. I could have used these effects many times. I know I've brought it up with him personally before too.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
Old 08-16-2010, 09:31 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12171217 View Post
Doesn't Graal have a subtractive blending mode?
Mode 2 is subtractive, yes.