Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > NPC Scripting
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricxta View Post
Is it creating the reflection only initially or constantly refreshing. If it is constantly refreshing I thought that'd be rather intensive, no?
Also, does this have any lag overall as of yet?
Reflections are all real-time. Intensive? Not really, running fine on my computer(20fps). Quality can be adjusted, lowering the quality will create distortion in the textures, but still mostly playable.

Here, see a video

Chances are in final play the scene won't be that zoomed in on the terrain, though.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 AM
The Muffin Man
Tricxta is a jewel in the roughTricxta is a jewel in the rough
Oh neat, I see what you did there. Seems very smooth as well. Well done, can't wait to mess around with the code.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Hezzy002 is a jewel in the roughHezzy002 is a jewel in the rough
The horizon renders much further than that in a mode7 racer. Not to be a killjoy, but this is just as far as everyone else gets with mode7 in Graal. The hump has been getting enough texel density to accurately render things further out on the horizon. I think with the new technique you're using it'll be totally possible, though. Best of luck.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:08 PM
:pluffy:
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
looks awesome.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:10 PM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy002 View Post
The horizon renders much further than that in a mode7 racer. Not to be a killjoy, but this is just as far as everyone else gets with mode7 in Graal. The hump has been getting enough texel density to accurately render things further out on the horizon. I think with the new technique you're using it'll be totally possible, though. Best of luck.
"Chances are in final play the scene won't be that zoomed in on the terrain, though."

Actual racing levels will probably be gmaps, alleviating this issue moreso.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
"Chances are in final play the scene won't be that zoomed in on the terrain, though."
Actual racing levels will probably be gmaps, alleviating this issue moreso.
yeah, I know what you said. I'm just saying as you approach the horizon you have to do more texel samples in order to accomplish the desired effect.

This might not be an issue for you since you can cheap out by just having the GPU do its built-in texture interpolation because you build an image.

I'm also not sure what method you're using, but mode7 isn't a 3D transformation or projection. It's a 2D affine transformation, which is why there's a clearly defined (and perspectively inaccurate) horizon line that appears. If you are doing a 3D transformation, you should just drop it and use the actual formula. It's on Wikipedia in the form of an affine transformation matrix. It'd probably make it very easy to replicate the mode7 results pretty much perfectly.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:40 PM
I was having a bit of trouble messing around with PFA's version, since it's not something I wrote up so I was fairly unfamiliar with it, and decided to revisit my own to see where I get.

I'm pretty happy with what I eventually ended up with:
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 AM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I was having a bit of trouble messing around with PFA's version, since it's not something I wrote up so I was fairly unfamiliar with it, and decided to revisit my own to see where I get.

I'm pretty happy with what I eventually ended up with:
live demo? ;D
Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Are you having framerate issues? I see the 3 and have some ideas.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Quote:
Are you having framerate issues? I see the 3 and have some ideas.
I cranked up the quality to 1 polygon per tile simply to make it look nice Here's at 16 tiles per polygon:

There's more distortion because of the extreme angle, but honestly I'm okay with that. People with more powerful computers will be able to adjust the quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMelon View Post
live demo? ;D
Anyone who has access on Testbed can go on and add "Public/DustyPorViva/Mode7" Though I'm still changing things around so don't be surprised if it's not working at any given time.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:34 AM
Quote:
I cranked up the quality to 1 polygon per tile simply to make it look nice Here's at 16 tiles per polygon:
There's more distortion because of the extreme angle, but honestly I'm okay with that. People with more powerful computers will be able to adjust the quality.
Does it bottleneck during rasterization or transformation with the higher quality?

You could also probably get away by scaling up the polycount for the closer sections.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 AM
Quote:
Does it bottleneck during rasterization or transformation with the higher quality?

You could also probably get away by scaling up the polycount for the closer sections.
I was curious and checked it out before. Simply running the loop at 64*64 with no math or rendering drops the fps down to about 8. Then the math/rendering drops it down to 3.

I was thinking about the scaling resolution as well, but that may be WAY too much work.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:30 AM
¯\(º_o)/¯
Chompy is just really niceChompy is just really niceChompy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Chompy
I so want to play around with that code. Really good job on it so far!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:45 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Let me play with it
Old 05-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Quote:
I was curious and checked it out before. Simply running the loop at 64*64 with no math or rendering drops the fps down to about 8. Then the math/rendering drops it down to 3.

I was thinking about the scaling resolution as well, but that may be WAY too much work.
Wait, no math or rendering as in a 64x64 loop without transformation or rendering? What else are you doing? It sounds like something odd is going on if you're getting significant performance drops from things other than what should most intensive parts.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you meant by math and rendering, of course.

Putting each polygon on its own layer, or at least ensuring neighboring polygons don't have the same layer should prevent Graal from trying to sort them. Normally Graal sorts images by their bottom left corner, which, at least on some of the older clients, caused huge performance drops because it was done every frame without regard to the previous frame (It should store the new, sorted data so the majority of the stuff is still sorted).

Dynamically scaling up would drastically increase performance and visual quality..