Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Bomy Island Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-21-2016, 12:12 AM
PlanetOscar PlanetOscar is offline
Registered User
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sweden
Posts: 177
PlanetOscar is just really nicePlanetOscar is just really nice
However, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it considered Graal property once it's been uploaded? and not Graal2k1? So as long as Graal is okay with it, I doubt anything will change good luck tho
  #17  
Old 12-21-2016, 12:16 AM
Darklux Darklux is offline
Petrification of a Newbie
Darklux's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Dortmund, Germany
Posts: 1,375
Darklux is a jewel in the roughDarklux is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to Darklux Send a message via AIM to Darklux Send a message via Yahoo to Darklux Send a message via Skype™ to Darklux
Are you serious or is this this thread a nice parody for christmas? Not that funny tho :O

Some thoughts: G2K1 was once one of the few official server projects and was abandoned shortly after the success of Kingdoms. Let us assume, that everyone should stop using that content. What is the consequence? Should everyone also stop using Classic Heads, Tiles and Sprites? Should people be forbidden to create classic styled playerworlds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
It's really deeper than you're even thinking. Technically the current pics1.png that has been used for like 15 years was drawn by Graal2001 developers for Graal2001. So there would have to be some kind of lines drawn, if every stolen idea from Graal2001 was patent protected other servers wouldn't even have events or hats or anything cool at all.
Another good example. Aren't these the tiles currently distributed for "normal" use?
Sorry - G2k1 was no "Player"world back then, but rather official Graal content and has influenced the following Playerworlds in many ways - Graphics, Gameplay and so on.

If you created new content and someone would steal that, I would fully agree with your demand to take that down, but you are talking about content that is ~15 years old? You cannot turn back time - and finally - we are having other problems at the moment. I doubt that your playercount is being limited by mean Playerworlds that greedily steal G2K1 Content....
  #18  
Old 12-21-2016, 01:35 AM
Crono Crono is offline
:pluffy:
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19,993
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Crono
hey darklux
__________________
  #19  
Old 12-21-2016, 06:08 AM
maximus_asinus maximus_asinus is offline
RIP DarkCloud_PK
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,729
maximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond reputemaximus_asinus has a reputation beyond repute
IMO the graphics never belonged to Graal2001. They were premium content, to be used by servers that were P2P before the whole thing was mandatory. Once P2P was required the whole thing went public domain so to say. I don't think that is what some of the artists intended when they created the graphics however, maybe they should have the right to dictate their use, or maybe they lost their rights to the images once they were uploaded.
__________________
Save Classic!
  #20  
Old 12-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Crono Crono is offline
:pluffy:
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19,993
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Crono
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
IMO the graphics never belonged to Graal2001. They were premium content, to be used by servers that were P2P before the whole thing was mandatory. Once P2P was required the whole thing went public domain so to say. I don't think that is what some of the artists intended when they created the graphics however, maybe they should have the right to dictate their use, or maybe they lost their rights to the images once they were uploaded.
ya thats kind of how i see it, but at the end of the day the server died and disappeared for like 10+ years, the whole point of BI was to use new assets.
__________________
  #21  
Old 12-21-2016, 02:14 PM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
the whole point of BI was to use new assets
I get what you're saying, but it's not accurate. You act like there were no shared assets. How about the entire map for starters. Also no one gave koni any sort of permission to reupload the server. koni's assets now belong to Graal2001 (they were also released publicly for use by anyone), not the other way around. It's been the case since around 2010, since you like bringing up the fact that copious amounts of time have gone by (which is irrelevant-- what's the difference between 5 days and 15 years? it's still stolen content).
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975

Last edited by Kamaeru; 12-21-2016 at 02:33 PM..
  #22  
Old 12-21-2016, 02:19 PM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklux View Post
Are you serious or is this this thread a nice parody for christmas? Not that funny tho :O

Some thoughts: G2K1 was once one of the few official server projects and was abandoned shortly after the success of Kingdoms. Let us assume, that everyone should stop using that content. What is the consequence? Should everyone also stop using Classic Heads, Tiles and Sprites? Should people be forbidden to create classic styled playerworlds?



Another good example. Aren't these the tiles currently distributed for "normal" use?
Sorry - G2k1 was no "Player"world back then, but rather official Graal content and has influenced the following Playerworlds in many ways - Graphics, Gameplay and so on.

If you created new content and someone would steal that, I would fully agree with your demand to take that down, but you are talking about content that is ~15 years old? You cannot turn back time - and finally - we are having other problems at the moment. I doubt that your playercount is being limited by mean Playerworlds that greedily steal G2K1 Content....
People stealing our content for 15 years is testament to my point, not yours. How many times do I have to say this? The longer amount of time the content has been abused doesn't make it any more okay.

Furthermore I guess I will have to say this again for the third time: obviously my goal here is not to ban other servers from using g2k1 content, but I want to make the staff of those servers aware of the fact that it's not original content and ask them to please make their own. I am aware that g2k1's hats were distributed to these servers in a time when they were lacking the talent 2k1 had, but that is no longer the case and in 2016 it's just lazy.
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975
  #23  
Old 12-21-2016, 02:25 PM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_asinus View Post
I don't think that is what some of the artists intended when they created the graphics however, maybe they should have the right to dictate their use, or maybe they lost their rights to the images once they were uploaded.
Exactly. I can't make anyone stop using their graphics but I am only asking them to stop using them out of respect for the history of Graal. But once again, apparently I'm a bad guy and the strawman version of my argument is to be taken seriously.

If you guys look closer I'm literally suggesting an easy way for Graal to adopt higher standards of quality and integrity (without help from the MIA global admin team). It's fun watching the same people whine about it who would benefit.

BTW I have been working on new hats since day 1, and have already made multiple hat shops. I will have at least 15 to begin releasing either weekly or monthly when the server goes hosted. These comprise of new hats (thank Xiaoguard), remade G2K1 original hats, and hats that were made for koni's project and never used. Here's a preview sample, nothing you see here is final:


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hatshop_preview0.png
Views:	50
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	55973  
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975

Last edited by Kamaeru; 12-21-2016 at 03:04 PM..
  #24  
Old 12-21-2016, 02:35 PM
Crono Crono is offline
:pluffy:
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sweden
Posts: 19,993
Crono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond reputeCrono has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Crono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamaeru View Post
I get what you're saying, but it's not accurate. You act like there were no shared assets. How about the entire map for starters. Also no one gave koni any sort of permission to reupload the server. koni's assets now belong to Graal2001 (they were also released publicly for use by anyone), not the other way around. It's been the case since around 2010, since you like bringing up the fact that copious amounts of time have gone by (which is irrelevant-- what's the difference between 5 days and 15 years? it's still stolen content).
how is it stolen, the owner of the server/creator of the game allowed other servers to use g2k1's assets
__________________
  #25  
Old 12-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Kamaeru Kamaeru is offline
Sandinista!
Kamaeru's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,040
Kamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud ofKamaeru has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono View Post
how is it stolen, the owner of the server/creator of the game allowed other servers to use g2k1's assets
No permission was given by the creator of the content or any manager of the server. Also 2k1 has been treated as a playerworld when it's convenient to fit the narrative, and then treated as a main server when it fits the narrative. Which is it? My argument is rock solid while the naysayers have an elastic argument.
__________________
3DS friendcode: 1118-0226-7975
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (C) 1998-2008 Linux cyberjoueurs All Rights Reserved.