Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Future Improvements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Tilesets

I'd like to see the ability to use multiple tilesets, or at least expand the size of the tileset in some way. I'm constantly finding myself running out of tile space for future expansions.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:12 AM
Sr Marketing Strategist
Elk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant futureElk has a brilliant future
Send a message via ICQ to Elk Send a message via AIM to Elk Send a message via MSN to Elk Send a message via Yahoo to Elk
That's the only visual limitation I ever had when creating the fundaments of a Project...if it were not for that limitation, Crystia would have gone further, because I was always too confused thinking of ways to optimize it and make use of what is possible today...

There might be a workaround for that though... scripting a mechanism that would be similar to the online level editor, but the code would be different... it would be more of a Slice'n'Place tool that would put certain sliced shapes that you would define in said level editor with an option of given attributes (block,nonblock,layering,opacity, even interactive code section to add effects on touch or something...)

But I can imagine something like this would be very resource-intense and possibly create quite some lag when loading a map created like this with so much information given...

Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Tee Hee
smirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant futuresmirt362 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to smirt362 Send a message via MSN to smirt362
There's always multiple tilesets, but that's kind of a pain.

Don Hertzfeldt <3
Old 07-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
There are 4096 usable tiles in the tileset. There are also, 4096 tiles in the level. Technically speaking couldnt each level use it's own tileset then? Allowing for an unlimited number of tiles (on an overworld or inside map even)..

I might also be mistaken but wasn't there a way in scripting to update only part of the tileset with overriding tiles? Sorry I can't remember but I thought I heard something about that half a decade ago.

1 Thing is for sure tho with tilesets. The ability to have tile layers OVER the player would be beyond amazing. But you would need transparency in the tileset's to do that perfectly.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:42 PM
callimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to beholdcallimuc is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by scriptless View Post
I might also be mistaken but wasn't there a way in scripting to update only part of the tileset with overriding tiles? Sorry I can't remember but I thought I heard something about that half a decade ago.
addtiledef2(), but as soon as you leave the level which doesnt use that new added tiles, they won't show and previous levels look like crap as they're missing the added tiles and show the old ones again (on gmaps)
Old 07-12-2014, 06:44 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
That might be an option, doing an inside & outside tileset. For a server like Era that would be a lot of work.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:27 PM
Banned
scriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to beholdscriptless is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by callimuc View Post
addtiledef2(), but as soon as you leave the level which doesnt use that new added tiles, they won't show and previous levels look like crap as they're missing the added tiles and show the old ones again (on gmaps)
Thanks for the info. I never got a chance to use it and wasn't sure what the command was. I wonder what other limitations or workarounds could be found. They should fix this tho.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:37 PM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by callimuc View Post
thats why you add them in a weapon and not directly in the levels.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:48 PM
Deleted by Darlene159
Jakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post
thats why you add them in a weapon and not directly in the levels.
hello!

whether the addtiledef2() is added to a weapon or a level npc is irrelevant, the point is that as soon as you are no longer within the specified levelstart parameter for the addtiledef2, the tileset will no longer be applied

so if you imagine this image as two mapped levels, as soon as you enter the right hand level you will no longer see the addtiledef2() for the left hand level, instead the left hand levels tileset will match whatever tiles are shown for the right hand level
Old 07-13-2014, 04:49 PM
a true gentlemen
In the past I had to apply the tiledef to the surrounding levels, but that's still not do-able. On my larger monitor I can view at least three levels at once on a gmap. It just never looks right unless you're actually in the level.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:11 PM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
In the past I had to apply the tiledef to the surrounding levels, but that's still not do-able. On my larger monitor I can view at least three levels at once on a gmap. It just never looks right unless you're actually in the level.
Ah I see what you mean. I've noticed this before too because you see more levels and things start acting a little weird sometimes scripts included.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Magnificent Bastard
Draenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud ofDraenin has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Draenin Send a message via MSN to Draenin Send a message via Yahoo to Draenin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakov_the_Jakovasaur View Post
whether the addtiledef2() is added to a weapon or a level npc is irrelevant, the point is that as soon as you are no longer within the specified levelstart parameter for the addtiledef2, the tileset will no longer be applied
It's totally relevant, actually. Andy is correct about what he said.

Just don't name your maps in stupid ways and you can apply addtiledef2 to a wide range of maps all at once. I've done so on World of Tomorrow in order to have animated tiles available in all of our dungeons using that method.

Also, watching you guys struggle with all of this is kind of hilarious. The solutions to most things listed here are glaringly obvious.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:50 PM
a true gentlemen
Those aren't solutions, they're limitations.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:03 PM
Deleted by Darlene159
Jakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud ofJakov_the_Jakovasaur has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
It's totally relevant, actually. Andy is correct about what he said.

Just don't name your maps in stupid ways and you can apply addtiledef2 to a wide range of maps all at once. I've done so on World of Tomorrow in order to have animated tiles available in all of our dungeons using that method.
nope, while i agree with the said principle you are oblivious to the problem at hand here

the problem being described here is that if you apply a tileset to a level prefix, your current level has to begin with that prefix in order to see the tileset. so if you can see that level on your screen but you are not actually within it, you will not see the tileset that has been applied to its level name prefix

as a result it is impossible to use two different tile images while using the same tile values on the same map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draenin View Post
Also, watching you guys struggle with all of this is kind of hilarious. The solutions to most things listed here are glaringly obvious.