Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 PM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Era Tutorial

I've released Era PC's very first tutorial system!

Hopefully this will increase the player count, getting players in and playing is what Era needs! I've used an on screen helper as well as in game helpers to assist new players in learning how to interact with NPC's and other players as well as cute little screen shots in game.

Currently the only way to use the tutorial is if you login via a new account or a guest login. I've gotten a few tutorials done, we have a gun shop tutorial, digging for shells, mining, inventory, and showing players how to chat. Obviously there's still room for improvements and I have a few more tutorials that would be wonderful to have completed. For now, I'm just leaving it up for constructive criticism on how we can improve it (spelling, new tutorials, confusing issues, glitches, etc); no ones perfect.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 AM
Extrinsical Anomaly
Fulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant futureFulg0reSama has a brilliant future
Tim does not rock, also would prefer someone who iconic.

Careful, thoughts and opinions here scare people.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 AM
Stay Frosty
WillaWonka will become famous soon enough
"someone who iconic"

What.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:59 AM
Zeus Condero
papajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to beholdpapajchris is a splendid one to behold
Someone like Zeus
Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulg0reSama View Post
Tim does not rock, also would prefer someone who iconic.
You should do the tutorial, I am teaching lessons on the thug life 24/7 son.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 AM
Forum Moderator
TSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to beholdTSAdmin is a splendid one to behold
Brb, changing my grab key to "Z", although you probably thought of that
· User Agreement · Code of Conduct · Forum Rules ·
· Graal Support · Administrative Contacts ·
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM
a true gentlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSAdmin View Post
Brb, changing my grab key to "Z", although you probably thought of that
I did actually, although I haven't implemented it yet. I'm planning on adding an interaction indicator. It's pretty much a floating bubble of options you can perform when you get close enough to an NPC (lots of games do this).
Old 04-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Fiberwyre_P2P will become famous soon enough
Missing tutorials:
trash picking
sparring
using the mall
random slash commands
buying a car
using the ATM
flower picking
how not to get scammed

I would recommend adding tutorials that would only appear once and aren't absolutely necessary for a new player to get up and go to the outside world rather than the tutorial.

For instance, you go to the car dealer and something pops up on your screen that tells you how to use it. Or if you go to the lumber mill, a tutorial pops up explaining that as well. Add an option to turn off tutorials, turn it off by default for old players, turn it on by default for new players. But, like I said, each tutorial would only appear once, and that's if you're going to a place that has a tutorial for the very first time.
And you could add an option to reset tutorials and have them appear again as if you never saw them the first time.

It worked for WoW.

Last edited by Fiberwyre_P2P; 04-22-2013 at 05:38 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 06:18 PM
a true gentlemen
Well yes Fiber, I haven't done any of those tutorials you listed yet. I have buildings setup for them, it just takes time to do each one. And I will most likely insert tutorials outside the tutorial system. All great ideas, I think I'll do a mall and trading tutorial since they're pretty straightforward scripts to read.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 PM
stuck in the enemy zone
-HateD- will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberwyre_P2P View Post
For instance, you go to the car dealer and something pops up on your screen that tells you how to use it. Or if you go to the lumber mill, a tutorial pops up explaining that as well. Add an option to turn off tutorials, turn it off by default for old players, turn it on by default for new players. But, like I said, each tutorial would only appear once, and that's if you're going to a place that has a tutorial for the very first time.
Something like this with a recurring :help command would be cool for people that get really messed up and play and can't remember how to buy a car to drive drunk with, knawmeen.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 PM
a true gentlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by -HateD- View Post
Something like this with a recurring :help command would be cool for people that get really messed up and play and can't remember how to buy a car to drive drunk with, knawmeen.
Three options:
A) Make it so these helpers don't appear ever again after the first use unless you haven't logged in within 30 days.
B) Make a login feature that asks if you're drunk.
C) Why not both?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:32 PM
asdfg
BlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to beholdBlueMelon is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiberwyre_P2P View Post
Missing tutorials:
trash picking
sparring
using the mall
random slash commands
buying a car
using the ATM
flower picking
how not to get scammed
A lot of the stuff listed here we want players to discover on their own. Flower picking doesn't really require a tutorial, if you goto the flower shop it explains it quite well, same with using the ATM and buying a car, sparring, its pretty self explanatory.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM
stuck in the enemy zone
-HateD- will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Rocks View Post
Three options:
A) Make it so these helpers don't appear ever again after the first use unless you haven't logged in within 30 days.
B) Make a login feature that asks if you're drunk.
C) Why not both?
Why not just make them show up again if you say :help in the level (if you're doing it level by level) or if there's a :tutorial option that lets you go over old ones again if need be. I don't really see a need for this since I didn't need them to figure out the game, but just trying to cover bases.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Fiberwyre_P2P will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMelon View Post
A lot of the stuff listed here we want players to discover on their own. Flower picking doesn't really require a tutorial, if you goto the flower shop it explains it quite well, same with using the ATM and buying a car, sparring, its pretty self explanatory.
I don't think self-explanatory means what you think it means XD
If flower picking and everything else was self-explanatory, you wouldn't need explanations in the shops.

Basically, to make shops/services that have quasi-tutorials already in them a non-issue, you just strip those old ones out, and use one unified pop-up tutorial system.

That's one thing about Era that hasn't really so much annoyed me as kind of been in the background and becomes noticeable every now and then. The systems on this game, for the most part, are really patchwork. Nothing really matches with anything else, since everything was made by different people, at different times, with different teams. Everything just feels fragmented.

Those little tutorials are a good example. Sometimes you talk to someone who gives you a multi-page chat pop-up to scroll through. Sometimes the explanation is just a little note on a GUI. Sometimes it shows up in the messages in the corner of the screen. Sometimes it'll set your chat to display the explanation. It just doesn't have the feeling of a unified, monolithic help system that you now have the opportunity to create.

Monolithic - adjective:
consisting of one piece; solid or unbroken.

Last edited by Fiberwyre_P2P; 04-22-2013 at 11:10 PM..
Old 04-22-2013, 11:37 PM
a true gentlemen
Quote:
Originally Posted by -HateD- View Post
Why not just make them show up again if you say :help in the level (if you're doing it level by level) or if there's a :tutorial option that lets you go over old ones again if need be. I don't really see a need for this since I didn't need them to figure out the game, but just trying to cover bases.
Have you tried the tutorial? You can re-start a tutorial at any given time if you've missed something.

@Fiber, I like the way you think.