Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > PlayerWorlds > Era Main Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2011, 12:27 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
It looks much better, however, in the long run it leaves more room for error and seeing how slowly things got on dev
Okay, so I just skimmed through the posts, most of you seem to be more for the left image. This really wouldn't be hard for me to finish within the next couple of days. I just need Alfonso to approve it so I can get started.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:32 AM
the painkiller
iBreez has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaman771 View Post
Zodiac is moving definitely in the right direction with their changes..
It's just how they went about them that bugged me (and a bunch of others).

Instead of doing everything and testing it, they just implement crap and on the server like zodiac it leads to half the players having to reset their levels or skills or even buy new gear every week they decide to change something.

Fixing one seemingly 'overpowered' char leads to 2-3 more.

I spent about a month gathering gear for my Assassin because it was a pretty dominant class with the right gear and skill-set. I ended up having to char-reset and improvise skill sets like 5 times because they kept editing the crap, most of it because they did something as simple as move ONE skill, it would cost you 800k to creset and re-buy everything, then 2 hours to cmp. It became a hassle so I quit until it was back to an equilibrium.

-------

As far as Era goes, and the OP... I prefer the tiles on the left, which I recall using on Dev when Chris was manager. It looks much better, however, in the long run it leaves more room for error and seeing how slowly things got on dev (bunch of people fired) it would be too much of a hassle to add correctly.
(All the corners, sidewalk outlines, cross-walks, inevitable tile errors)
Not to mention some of the tiles themselves have small errors (grass-sidewalk corners).
I agree with this totally. They removed avenger's most valuable skills (Haste, Enrage, Katana Mastery) for a buncha dumb BW blades that aren't useful @ all, which resulted in me raging and changing class to monk. Then they gave back Katana Mastery and gave Traveller (passive speedbuff) to replace haste, and then buffed heatblade to actually be good so I went back to Avenger.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Atrius Manager
TheJames can only hope to improve
Anything to changeup the look on Era is good.

James,
Manager of Atrius
Old 09-27-2011, 01:11 AM
a true gentlemen
Tim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to beholdTim_Rocks is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJames View Post
Anything to changeup the look on Era is good.
Plus bullets are a little more visible while pking.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueShatterblade View Post
I'm going to get on anyone who passes judgement on something when they can't do any better themselves.
I don't have to be a chef to know when something tastes like ****. To anyone who believes otherwise has a lot to learn.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 AM
DeCeaseD will become famous soon enough
Oi, I totally forgot I made those sidewalk tiles.. rofl Yeah I def think they look better than the current. (And no, i'm not saying that because I made them.) Would look alot better if buildings were changed to match the style of the sidewalk too imo. (Don't ask me to do it.)
Old 09-27-2011, 04:14 AM
world-class douchebag
RogueShatterblade will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to RogueShatterblade
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyPorViva View Post
I don't have to be a chef to know when something tastes like ****. To anyone who believes otherwise has a lot to learn.
When all you've ever known is peanut butter, jelly, and lunchmeat, how can you complain that you don't have steak?

You can keep right the f*ck on with the philosophical anecdotes, you're just setting me right in my comfort zone. You're wrong.

There's not much to improve on - and really we're getting way past the point of why I posted in the first
place: some retard was running his mouth about the server and his own mysteriously intangible talent.

So chill out.

*Bell: I'm going to faint, Ocelot turned into a real human being. One I can actually have some respect for.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:22 AM
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
When all you've ever known is peanut butter, jelly, and lunchmeat, how can you complain that you don't have steak?
Except he is an artist, so what's your point?

Quote:
You can keep right the f*ck on with the philosophical anecdotes, you're just setting me right in my comfort zone. You're wrong.
Not really. If I was wrong then the world would be a very closed thing. No one but movie directors could critique movies, no one but chefs could critique other chefs, no one but people who have made games would be able to say a game is bad.

Also it goes the other way. If you haven't made a popular server, by your logic, how are you able to say that Era's graphics are good, and that Elk is wrong?

Quote:
There's not much to improve on - and really we're getting way past the point of why I posted in the first
place: some retard was running his mouth about the server and his own mysteriously intangible talent.

So chill out.
Except there is. Era graphics are nearly 10 years old. They're old and outdated, and there are a lot that can be improved.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:48 AM
world-class douchebag
RogueShatterblade will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to RogueShatterblade
Sigh. How did I know this thread would turn into a sh*t show. Okay, here goes -

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueshatterblade
Except he is an artist, so what's your point?
We're talking about an EXTREMELY limited space to work with, here. Tileset. TILEset. What are you asking of the server?
Graal3D got scrapped a bazillion years ago. You've got champagne taste on a bologna-cheese-sh*t-sandwich budget.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueShatterblade
Not really. If I was wrong then the world would be a very closed thing. No one but movie directors could critique movies, no one but chefs could critique other chefs, no one but people who have made games would be able to say a game is bad.

Also it goes the other way. If you haven't made a popular server, by your logic, how are you able to say that Era's graphics are good, and that Elk is wrong?
Because I used to run this server, guy. And the problem has never been with the tileset - it's what you do with it.
UN doesn't seem to be having any issues using vanilla. Why? They work with it.

And I said you're wrong haphazardly because I think you're an a**hole.

So there's that.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueShatterblade

So chill out.
Except there is. Era graphics are nearly 10 years old. They're old and outdated, and there are a lot that can be improved.
Remember when we changed the size of the doors? That was fun, right?

This server has lived and breathed on the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' principle, now GRANTED we have had reset after
reset after reset after reset, but that has been an utter failure in economy management and overall administration, NOT the
graphics of the server.

Listen - I'm not making an effort to run around being the forum troll. There are SOME things that could be improved - the only
thing that springs to mind right now is some of the older guns, but to suggest some sort of overhaul is completely ridiculous.

You want improved graphics? Go play Gears of War.
You want an unorthodox, community-driven game? Play Graal.

It's that simple.

*Bell: I'm going to faint, Ocelot turned into a real human being. One I can actually have some respect for.

Last edited by RogueShatterblade; 09-27-2011 at 05:00 AM..
Old 09-27-2011, 05:19 AM
alskdjfhg
alskdjfhg is on a distinguished road
I like the look of the sidewalks on the first one, but the roads need more texture
Old 09-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Quote:
We're talking about an EXTREMELY limited space to work with, here. Tileset. TILEset. What are you asking of the server?
Is tileset space really an issue? I severely doubt it.
Quote:
Graal3D got scrapped a bazillion years ago. You've got champagne taste on a bologna-cheese-sh*t-sandwich budget.
What the hell does Graal3D have to do with anything?

Quote:
Because I used to run this server, guy. And the problem has never been with the tileset - it's what you do with it.
The tileset is still an issue. What you could do with it would be vastly improved if the tileset was improved.

Quote:
UN doesn't seem to be having any issues using vanilla. Why? They work with it.
And it's a general consensus UN looks like ****.

Quote:
And I said you're wrong haphazardly because I think you're an a**hole.
So people criticize a server and you jump to insulting them? You take things way too personally and just seem like some jerk who would rather insult people than listen to useful advice.

Quote:
This server has lived and breathed on the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' principle, now GRANTED we have had reset after
reset after reset after reset, but that has been an utter failure in economy management and overall administration, NOT the
graphics of the server.
Graphics could be worked over without changing levels, as it was shown above, and would not impede on the progress of the rest of the server. Your approach to development seems to be like a lot of people who don't really know how to approach it: "we have BIG PROBLEMS thus we can never do SMALL STUFF on the side." No. Just because you have higher priorities does not mean you can't accomplish other things as well. It's just an excuse.

Quote:
You want improved graphics? Go play Gears of War.
You want an unorthodox, community-driven game? Play Graal.
AKA you set up horribly low standards because there are better games out there. Sounds like good news for the players!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:20 AM
xAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud ofxAndrewx has much to be proud of
u got served ocelot
Old 09-27-2011, 10:27 AM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xAndrewx View Post
u got served ocelot
This, pretty much. There's no chance for Ocelot to win this argument with all the crap he's saying.

"Extremely" limited space to work with? Tilesets? Are you living under a rock? Geez. Just because a server works even though it looks like a steaming pile of crap doesn't mean you shouldn't work on improving the graphics.
Old 09-27-2011, 11:46 AM
a true gentlemen
Um... So I finished going through the Era Dev gmap and fixed all the tile errors. Here's a preview.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	r88j05.png
Views:	78
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	53720  
Old 09-27-2011, 01:14 PM
ǝɔɐɹq ʎןɹnɔ
Crow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond reputeCrow has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with Crono. The sidewalks are a tad too high.