Graal Forums  

Go Back   Graal Forums > Development Forums > Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 AM
Hazard to Graal
Jiroxys7 will become famous soon enough
scheduleevent seems to be a bit delayed.

Im using scheduleevent im my weapon system. it first sends a triggeraction to everyone in front of the attacker, then uses scheduleevent to send a second triggeraction approximately halfway through the attack to check and see if the target is still there before dealing damage.

however for some reason the scheduled event is always being sent at the very end of the attack. why is this?
Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
That's a bad way to be doing things, this should be moved to NPC Scripting btw.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:31 AM
Hazard to Graal
I figured it might be some sort of bug since the delay is noticeably large.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:46 AM
team canada
fowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond reputefowlplay4 has a reputation beyond repute
There's a delay in between the triggerserver and onActionServerSide because it has to send data from the client to the server.

Try this code:

PHP Code:
//#CLIENTSIDE
function onCreated() {

this.scheduleevent(1"ScheduledEvent"timevar2);
}

function 
onScheduledEvent(init) {

player.chat "This took event " timevar2 init " seconds!";

Old 07-17-2010, 03:58 AM
the fake one
cbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond reputecbk1994 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to cbk1994
The "delay" is almost always less than one-twentieth of a second unless the wait time is more than a minute or so.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Hazard to Graal
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowlplay4 View Post
There's a delay in between the triggerserver and onActionServerSide because it has to send data from the client to the server.

Try this code:

PHP Code:
//#CLIENTSIDE
function onCreated() {

this.scheduleevent(1"ScheduledEvent"timevar2);
}

function 
onScheduledEvent(init) {

player.chat "This took event " timevar2 init " seconds!";

Well it seems to come back early effortlessly on larger numbers like 1 second +. however when i tried it at ~0.095 seconds (roughly the amount of time in question) it struggles to go below ~0.13. usually remains near the 0.19 mark. So I guess I might need to have to make due with the small delay on the quicker weapons.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:18 AM
master of infinite loops
LoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura aboutLoneAngelIbesu has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to LoneAngelIbesu
Quote:
That's a bad way to be doing things, this should be moved to NPC Scripting btw.
What is the good way?
Old 07-17-2010, 05:36 AM
Incubator
Inverness is a jewel in the roughInverness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
He said triggeraction, not triggerserver.
Old 07-17-2010, 05:55 AM
team canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAngelIbesu View Post
What is the good way?
Well it's obviously not using two triggeractions/server.

For a standard sword system, a triggeraction to specific x, y and onActionDamage or w/e in a weapon npc works.

Other systems use findplayer or testplayer to see if there's a player on that position then send the trigger to the server to confirm it and damage them.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 AM
Hazard to Graal
well i'm sending the first trigger that will be used to activate certain skills. since i'm experimenting with having a second trigger that hits whoever's in the way. this also adds a sense of weapon speed since it reads the speed of the equipped weapon (stronger weapons will have a longer delay. faster ones will have a shorter delay)
One of the skills i have will allow you to sometimes dash out of the way of an attack before it lands when it receives the first trigger. other uses may include things like allowing the defender to retaliate with damage or an effect before they get hit, or on the other hand, allowing the attacker to cause an effect just before they actually strike.

tl;dr: It's intentional.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Will work for food. Maybe
DustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond reputeDustyPorViva has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DustyPorViva Send a message via MSN to DustyPorViva
Triggeraction itself has a 0.05-0.1 delay, I believe... and if you're triggering other players I'm sure there is a delay from sending the data from the server to them.